Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: I2 in Peloponnesus, Greece. Origins?

Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup

Ethnic group
    Greece

I2 in Peloponnesus, Greece. Origins?

I recently discovered my Paternal Halpogroup is I2..
    I find it unusual since my family origins are from the very southern eastern part of Peloponesia. Historically, they have lived there for many many generations.From my Fathers side, they tend to be olive in complexion, light brown eyes , and curly hair.. Very Mediterranean. Like the ancient Greeks depicted in ancient marble statutes and pottery ..
    Not at all Slavic in appearance in fact. I tend to notice many Greeks to have the same characteristics in the southern region of Greece. And very fair skin Greeks that would never be able to tolerate the rays of the sun? Very low melanin count in their pigmentations.?
    so I’m confused..Halpogroup I2 is very Central Europe..I would appreciate some insight from and Anthropological perspective and genealogical..

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>CTS9320>Z38456

Ethnic group
    Albanian

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickny007 View Post
    I find it unusual since my family origins are from the very southern eastern part of Peloponesia. Historically, they have lived there for many many generations.From my Fathers side, they tend to be olive in complexion, light brown eyes , and curly hair.. Very Mediterranean. Like the ancient Greeks depicted in ancient marble statutes and pottery ..
    Not at all Slavic in appearance in fact. I tend to notice many Greeks to have the same characteristics in the southern region of Greece. And very fair skin Greeks that would never be able to tolerate the rays of the sun? Very low melanin count in their pigmentations.?
    so I’m confused..Halpogroup I2 is very Central Europe..I would appreciate some insight from and Anthropological perspective and genealogical..
    You could still look like that even if your father came straight from Poland but your mother is Lebanese looking. So after hundreds of years of mixing with locals those Central European or Balkanic features will eventually disappear but occasionally.

I2 could have arrived with early Slavs or later with Albanians during the middle ages.

Ned Stark the Boromir Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    Gheg Albanian

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Yet Kim Kardashian looks super-Armenian, despite having a NW-Euro mother and Armenian father.

Your I2 probably falls under I2a1b-CTS10228, which arrived with the Slavs to the Balkans, and Greece.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-L1029*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2*-146+

Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun

What is your exact clade? I2 is a little general. Here are a number of scenarios.

If you are I2a2a, I think it was found in the ancient Balkans. More often than not it is Germanic I2a2a. However some has been found in ancient Balkans. This is least likely. Its very low and seems shared between Albanians/Greeks/Pomaks.

The second scenario, I2a1a, this has so far been found in an Albanian from Macedonia. Considering its northwestern spread, it could be Norman, or even Gothic. Still pretty slim chance.

Most probably you belong to I2a1b-Din-CTS10228. You could belong to a older Greek founder effect clade A2512 that maybe came with Bastarnae or with Jews. So far it is only found in Greeks and East Euro Jews.

Majority of Greek I2a1b-Din belongs to typical Slavic clades that came anywhere between the early middle ages over-running Greece(mostly the north) up to the Bulgarian empire.

Considering you're from the Peloponnese, there were two Slavic tribes that settled there. You have the Melingoi(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melingoi) and the Ezeritai(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezeritai).

It doesn't make you any less Greek, only your ancient forefather. Most of these lineages that hit the south of Greece or Central and Southern Albania were all absorbed early on by the Byzantines and later probably disseminated into Albanian/Vlach/Greek ethnos. The tribes that resisted integration and dominated the surrounding areas became the Southern Slavs later on.