Voyages of Odysseus

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Or as one of the authors suggested, "How to map a myth." :)

Very interesting reading nonetheless and great maps.
https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/roundtable/geography-odyssey

Each slide shows the opinion of different archaeologists. Damn, I wish I'd known about the Columbia Alumni cruise in 2009! Increase the size and the names show up.

KNzUpPL.png

" How does Odysseus’ trek across the wine-dark sea map onto an actual map of the Mediterranean.

Homer fans have been trying to figure this out—and squabbling over their findings—for as long as the Odyssey has been in the canon. And for just as long other people have been calling efforts to map the Odyssey a complete waste of time. If no one can agree on its physical geography, Odysseus’ imaginary journey is easy to retrace."

For those who need a little refresher:

"
After fighting in the Trojan War, the conflict at the heart of the Iliad, Odysseus leaves the burning city of Troy to travel back to his home, Ithaca. His fleet of twelve ships is almost immediately blown off course. He and his men end up at Ismarus, where they attack the Cicones, destroy the town, and kidnap the Cicones’ wives. The Cicones kill seventy-six of Odysseus’ men. The remainder get back on course but not for long: at Malea, they are pushed away from Cythera and caught up in storms for ten days. Next they reach the land of the Lotus-eaters, where some of Odysseus’ men succumb to the temptation of eating the addictive flowers; he must force them back to the ship. They travel to the Island of the Cyclopes, where Odysseus fights and blinds Polyphemus, one of Poseidon’s sons. From there they go to Aeolia, a floating island, where King Aeolus gifts Odysseus the bag of winds. After leaving Aeolia they nearly reach Ithaca, only to be blown off course once again when Odysseus’ men open the bag. They row for seven days until they reach Lamos, where the Laestrygonians kill and eat most of Odysseus’ men. Only Odysseus’ ship escapes and travels to Aeaea, where the goddess Circe turns his crew to swine. Odysseus, protected by Hermes, stays a year with Circe, who finally tells him to seek out the prophet Tiresias. Unfortunately, Tiresias is dead, so Odysseus must gain entry to the Underworld, which he finds in the land of the Cimmerians. He speaks to Achilles, Agammemnon, Ajax, and eventually Tiresias, who tells him how to return to Ithaca. Heeding Circe’s warning that they should avoid listening to the Sirens, Odysseus has his men, returned to human form, block their ears with wax and tie him to the mast of the ship, so that he might hear the strange sounds of the Sirens but remain unable to succumb to their magic. From there they navigate a narrow strait between rocky Scylla and the whirlpool Charybdis, arriving at the land of Helios. Odysseus tells his men not to eat the cattle they come across, but they do not listen and are punished by Zeus. Only Odysseus survives, floating to Calypso’s island, where he remains trapped for the next seven years. After the gods help him escape Calypso and he tells his story at the banquet, the Phaeacians take Odysseus back to Ithaca. And while the story does not end there, our maps of it do."

The body of the article explains the various maps.

Somewhat on the same subject, there is a new book out about the Odyssey, "An Odyssey" by Daniel Mendelsohn (it's a PBS News Hour book club choice). It's about a classics' instructor who takes his father into his class on the Odyssey. Apparently it wasn't all plain sailing . . .

I look forward to reading this once the local library gets a copy (I'm guessing it's not something I need to own).

Somewhat on the same subject, there is a new book out about the Odyssey, "An Odyssey" by Daniel Mendelsohn (it's a PBS News Hour book club choice). It's about a classics' instructor who takes his father into his class on the Odyssey. Apparently it wasn't all plain sailing . . .

I look forward to reading this once the local library gets a copy (I'm guessing it's not something I need to own).

I'm going to look for it at my library collection too. I hope I can read it online.

It looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.

[FONT=&quot]Mapping a myth ? Try using the right map :)

Belgian lawyer Théophile Cailleux wrote that Odysseus sailed the Atlantic Ocean, starting from Troy, which [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was situated [/FONT][FONT=&quot]near the Wash in England (1879). Charles-Joseph de Grave thought that the historical and mythological background of Homer’s work should [/FONT][FONT=&quot]be sought[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in Western Europe (1806).

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Professor of Ancient History at University of Cambridge, concluded that ‘we are confronted with this paradox and that the more we know; the ‘worse off, we are’ and he, therefore, suggested that ‘Homer’s Trojan War must be evicted from the history of the Greek Bronze Age’.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] As it seems difficult to disagree with his conclusion, we are, in my view, left with only two options: the great Trojan War never took place in northwest Turkey and consequently; the Iliad is the fruit of pure imagination, or else; the war did take place, but in another country.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Professor P H Damste (Universities of Utrecht and Leuven) “Valuable knowledge is to be discovered about the people of the Northwest European coast around 1200 BC, how they navigated the oceans and a great war between the Kings of continental Europe and the Trojan king in England.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Romans called the Celtic tribe that occupied part of Essex the Trinovantes or “Tri-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]novante[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” which means New Troy or Troy of New.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote in his Historia Regum Britanniae an origin myth which traced the foundation of Britain back to the Trojans. This account described how Brutus, great-grandson of Aeneas of Troy, landed at Totnes, subdued the race of giants who lived there, and gave his name to the country he had pacified (Britain = Brutus).

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]There is in the land of Ithaca a certain harbour of Phorcys, the old man of the sea, and at its mouth two projecting headlands sheer to seaward, but sloping down on the side toward the harbour. = Cadiz Spain.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sidon = Medina Sidonia in Spain.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The British rivers Thames, Cam, Great Ouse and Little Ouse, to name a few, can respectively be identified as [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Temese[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Scamander, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Simois[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Satniois.

[/FONT]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isleham_Hoard

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Oh Lord, back in tin foil hat territory again.

This thread has been viewed 5918 times.

Back