Mix Near East result coupled w/ Tuscany & Aegean

Athena

Reaction score
I got my Living DNA results last week but I find lack of sub-regional detail for Near East slightly disappointing. Wonder when they will improve details for these regions.

Near East 79.2%
- Armenia & Cyprus 27.2%
- North Turkey 24.8%
- Levant 23.3%
- Arabia 3.9%

Europe 18%
- Tuscany 11.9%
- Aegean 4.3% (Calabria, Greece & Greek islands)
- Baltic 1.8%

Asia 2.8%
- Balochistan 2.8%

confusing part is when I look at my MtDNA (HV2a1);

Yemen 44%
Saudi Arabia 20%
Iraq 19%
Ethiopia %14
Calabria 10%
Syria 10%
Kurdish 9%
Daghestan 9%
Iran 8%
Armenia 8%
Pakistan 7%
Turkey 6%
Sicily 5%
Sardinia 5%
Tuscany 5%
Italy 4%
Bulgaria 4%

I am originally from Turkey, I think that the results are slightly more complex than I thought it might be. Especially Italian part, Is 18% Europe is it high or expected levels ? How deep Tuscany and Calabria origin might be?

And would it be wrong to think my father’s side where I pick all the North Turkey, Armenia, Cyprus, and some Tuscany & Aegean ( Greek islands and Southern Italy ) heritage.
But Levant might be coming from mostly my mother’s side? Although Arabia percentage is so small in my autosomal result it was surprising to see so high at MtDNA. Why that might be ?

I am not even sure Balochistan !

Anyone can shed some light to these questions as I am very new to this all.

i think the 18% european is expected. after all, europeans have lots of anatolian, near eastern ancestry and this just gets labeled as european, often italian or greek, in your results even if it did not come from europe but actually went to europe originating in anatolia. of course it is still possible that part of it came from europe but those tests probably can't see the difference. that's my interpretation of the european ancestry that many turkish people get.

the mtdna numbers are just the frequencies of this haplogroup in different countries. mtdna is a seperate piece of dna that you only get from your mother. so it was passed down from the mothers of the mothers of your mother to you while the rest of the dna can change completely.

Last edited:
I am originally from Turkey, I think that the results are slightly more complex than I thought it might be. Especially Italian part, Is 18% Europe is it high or expected levels ? How deep Tuscany and Calabria origin might be?

And would it be wrong to think my father’s side where I pick all the North Turkey, Armenia, Cyprus, and some Tuscany & Aegean ( Greek islands and Southern Italy ) heritage.
But Levant might be coming from mostly my mother’s side? Although Arabia percentage is so small in my autosomal result it was surprising to see so high at MtDNA. Why that might be ?

I am not even sure Balochistan !

Anyone can shed some light to these questions as I am very new to this all.

LivingDNA is not very accurate. However it is not a recent ancestry, even British users who have done the text with LivingDNA can have Tuscany. So nothing real.

In other tests the Turks get Greek, here you get Italian. I also saw a Turk with North Italian. Turkey has had many contacts with the Balkans even recent. In short, there is nothing surprising in your results, except the usual lack of accuracy of LivingDNA.

This thread has been viewed 3704 times.

Back