Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Big Y 700

  1. #1
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    327
    Points
    8,138
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,138, Level: 26
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 31.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H-e1a4b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    1 members found this post helpful.

    Big Y 700

    I would love to hear comments about what you all think about the outcome for Big Y-700 will be from Family Tree DNA. Most specifically, what will it tell us, and will it go back and test to find where the split for the break in earlier snps or will it only test for more downstream snps.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points
    spruithean's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-08-12
    Posts
    389
    Points
    10,122
    Level
    30
    Points: 10,122, Level: 30
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 11.0%


    Country: Canada



    2 members found this post helpful.
    From what I've heard a few people who have their results have received a fair bit of novel variants. This of course could be important for timing estimations of various Y trees, and depending on how many of those novel variants become defining SNPs it could help refine the tree further. Big Y700 will also be looking through more of the Y-chromosome compared to Big Y and Big Y500, so it will definitely have benefits.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    torzio's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,265
    Points
    17,884
    Level
    40
    Points: 17,884, Level: 40
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 19.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1

    Ethnic group
    North Italian
    Country: Australia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    My Y700 changes for myself...................... is that my private markers went from 26 to 40 ...........nothing new ............
    Fathers mtdna T2b17
    Grandfather mtdna T1a1e
    Sons mtdna K1a4o
    Mum paternal line R1b-S8172
    Grandmum paternal side I1d1-P109
    Wife paternal line R1a-Z282

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,011
    Points
    71,241
    Level
    82
    Points: 71,241, Level: 82
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 93.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by torzio View Post
    My Y700 changes for myself...................... is that my private markers went from 26 to 40 ...........nothing new ............
    The Y700 is a big Test :)

    What kind of information did you get? ... and do you think that T-Z19945 has another branch? (besides CTS1848).

    Did they tell you how many T-Z19945 they found and where?

    ... too many questions

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    torzio's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,265
    Points
    17,884
    Level
    40
    Points: 17,884, Level: 40
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 19.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1

    Ethnic group
    North Italian
    Country: Australia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    The Y700 is a big Test :)

    What kind of information did you get? ... and do you think that T-Z19945 has another branch? (besides CTS1848).

    Did they tell you how many T-Z19945 they found and where?

    ... too many questions
    No further matches than what i had...and we will evenrually split off without snp CTS1848

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,011
    Points
    71,241
    Level
    82
    Points: 71,241, Level: 82
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 93.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by torzio View Post
    No further matches than what i had...and we will evenrually split off without snp CTS1848
    Thanks Torzio

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    327
    Points
    8,138
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,138, Level: 26
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 31.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H-e1a4b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    Thank you both for your comments.

    On the two Y-700 tests that I ordered, there have been almost no changes, even in novel snps. On one, no changes at all, on the other 2 new novels. And now another question...

    Could radiation treatments change the outcome of the reads, most specifically, on ambiguous results?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,530
    Points
    50,252
    Level
    69
    Points: 50,252, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    2 members found this post helpful.
    If you want to know your final yDNA branch don't waste your time testing STRs in FTDNA's Y-11, Y-25, Y-35, Y-65, Y-111. Go directly to Big Y-700 to test your SNPs.

    In my specific case the FTDNA's Y-11, Y-25, Y-35, Y-65, Y-111 testings pointed my final estimated branch as the R-M269:



    I only knew my downstream subclades and my final branch when I test with Big Y-700:
    R-M269>R-L23>R-L51>R-P310>R-L151>R-P312>R-ZZ11>R-DF27>R-ZZ12_1>R-FGC78762>R-ZZ19_1>R-Z31644>R-BY2285>R-BY25634>R-FGC35133





    Regards :)

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Posts
    678
    Points
    8,155
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,155, Level: 27
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 54.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

    Ethnic group
    Italian-Siicly-South
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Duarte: In regards to Post #8, thanks for the that information. So Family Tree DNA Big Y-700 is the one to get. I will definitely check it out. Thanks so much for your suggestion.

    Cheers, PalermoTrapani

  10. #10
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Posts
    678
    Points
    8,155
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,155, Level: 27
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 54.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

    Ethnic group
    Italian-Siicly-South
    Country: United States



    Duarte: I went to FTDNA.com and reviewed the Big Y-700 test. So if I am reading it correctly, that is a test that I must buy and do.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,530
    Points
    50,252
    Level
    69
    Points: 50,252, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by Palermo Trapani View Post
    Duarte: I went to FTDNA.com and reviewed the Big Y-700 test. So if I am reading it correctly, that is a test that I must buy and do.
    Hi Trapani. Big Y-700 is the test that you must buy ;)
    It is an expensive test, unfortunately, but it is a definitive test. The other Y tests work with STR (Short Tandem Repeat) and are more useful in genealogical DNA testing in surname DNA projects and has become the prevalent analysis method for determining genetic profiles in forensic cases. They work with repetition frequencies. A short tandem repeat (STR) in DNA occurs when a pattern of two or more nucleotides are repeated and the repeated sequences are directly adjacent to each other. An STR is also known as a microsatellite. The pattern can range in length from 2 to 16 base pairs (bp) and is typically in the non-coding intron region. A short tandem repeat polymorphism (STRP) occurs when homologous STR loci differ in the number of repeats between individuals. By identifying repeats of a specific sequence at specific locations in the genome, it is possible to create a genetic profile of an individual. In summary and greatly simplifying, STR-based DNA tests give you an estimate of your yDNA. If you are lucky enough to have many matches, the more accurate your estimate will be. I was unlucky enough to have very few matches over shorter distances and it was only possible to predict that my yDNA was R-M269. A disappointing forecast, considering that the vast majority of Midwestern Europe belongs to this haplogroup. The BIG Y-700, in addition to testing more than 111 STRs, tests the SNPs on your Y chromosome. It is an accurate, state-of-the-art test. I am part of the FTDNA Project R-DF27 and the recommendation is not to waste money on the other Y tests if your intention is to know your final yDNA. If you just want a very upstream forecast, then test the STRs. If you want to confirm your final haplogroup, do BIg Y-700.
    Cheers,
    Duarte.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Posts
    678
    Points
    8,155
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,155, Level: 27
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 54.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

    Ethnic group
    Italian-Siicly-South
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    Hi Trapani. Big Y-700 is the test that you must buy ;)
    It is an expensive test, unfortunately, but it is a definitive test. The other Y tests work with STR (Short Tandem Repeat) and are more useful in genealogical DNA testing in surname DNA projects and has become the prevalent analysis method for determining genetic profiles in forensic cases. They work with repetition frequencies. A short tandem repeat (STR) in DNA occurs when a pattern of two or more nucleotides are repeated and the repeated sequences are directly adjacent to each other. An STR is also known as a microsatellite. The pattern can range in length from 2 to 16 base pairs (bp) and is typically in the non-coding intron region. A short tandem repeat polymorphism (STRP) occurs when homologous STR loci differ in the number of repeats between individuals. By identifying repeats of a specific sequence at specific locations in the genome, it is possible to create a genetic profile of an individual. In summary and greatly simplifying, STR-based DNA tests give you an estimate of your yDNA. If you are lucky enough to have many matches, the more accurate your estimate will be. I was unlucky enough to have very few matches over shorter distances and it was only possible to predict that my yDNA was R-M269. A disappointing forecast, considering that the vast majority of Midwestern Europe belongs to this haplogroup. The BIG Y-700, in addition to testing more than 111 STRs, tests the SNPs on your Y chromosome. It is an accurate, state-of-the-art test. I am part of the FTDNA Project R-DF27 and the recommendation is not to waste money on the other Y tests if your intention is to know your final yDNA. If you just want a very upstream forecast, then test the STRs. If you want to confirm your final haplogroup, do BIg Y-700.
    Cheers,
    Duarte.
    Thanks. I will get around to doing this one. FTDNA seems like they have multiple test. My guess is their FamilyFInder is just like Ancestry or 23 and Me's autosomal test. They also have a Mtdna test that looks like it does something similar to what the Big &-700. Is that correct?

    Great information, thanks again. PalermoTrapani

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,530
    Points
    50,252
    Level
    69
    Points: 50,252, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by Palermo Trapani View Post
    Thanks. I will get around to doing this one. FTDNA seems like they have multiple test. My guess is their FamilyFInder is just like Ancestry or 23 and Me's autosomal test. They also have a Mtdna test that looks like it does something similar to what the Big &-700. Is that correct?

    Great information, thanks again. PalermoTrapani
    Hi Trapani.

    FTDNA has three types of mtDNA tests, the most complete being the FMS - Full Mitochondrial Sequence, in addition to also having the auDNA test - Family Finder (Family Ancestry).

    With regard to the complete sequencing of the yDNA, I believe that the best tests on the market are the FTDNA’s Big Y-700 and the YSEQ Whole Genome Testing 2.0, IMO.

    Cheers :)

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    327
    Points
    8,138
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,138, Level: 26
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 31.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H-e1a4b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    1 members found this post helpful.
    In YFull, my dad has 780 STR results

  15. #15
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,530
    Points
    50,252
    Level
    69
    Points: 50,252, Level: 69
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
    In YFull, my dad has 780 STR results
    Yes, @Wheal.


    Big Y-700 examines 700 short tandem repeats (STR) and over 200K SNPs on the Y chromosome.

    The great problem, today, with the Big Y-700 is that for you to be able to generate the BAM file to upload to YFULL, you have to pay an additional amount for it. YSEQ has an agreement with YFULL and generates a BAM file for you at no additional cost. However, the cost of doing YSEQ Whole Genome Testing 2.0 is much higher than the BIG Y-700.

    Cheers :)

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    14-02-17
    Posts
    85
    Points
    3,888
    Level
    18
    Points: 3,888, Level: 18
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    $379(BigY-700) + $139(mtDNA Full Seq) =518 USD (+$100 for BAM file generation)= $618 as of today (promotional)

    Yelite 2.1 (Full Genomes Corporation) - $425 (will give you mtDNA result too. FTDNA used to do this but now meticulously deletes all traces of mtdna from their BigY).

    Dante Labs x30 can be had <300 USD on promotions. Gives you all of the above + autosomal results and health reports ($$,optional) . For 25$ Yseq will align your result to Hg38 and create a list of usable files -FASTA for the mtDNA result, BAM for the Y-chromosome result that you can upload to YFULL or FGC for analysis (49$) etc.Dante have promised to create a shareable link of the Y-chr. result for easier upload to Yfull but have not kept their promise. The results are downloadable ,but the links are not shareable so one has to either upload to a cloud service or let (yseq or whoever ) temporary access to the results so they can download the necessary files for processing.

    http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=3209

    https://ydna-warehouse.org/statistics.html

    I am not into that technical stuff ..and there are plenty of discussions on the net. Seems like Dante's x30 is the great all-rounder (but you must opt-in to sharing your anonymized result for medical research etc-and there is no "decline" option !) ...and Full Genomes Corporation Yelite>BigY.

    FTDNA does not accept other companies' BAM files for upload and this keeps you out of their extensive matching base ...but if your result is an uncommon one you may end up with no matches at all... And then most people upload to Yfull so...

    Do some research before making your decision...and yes, doing a Y-chr. FullSeq is inevitable ...skip those STR and snp packs,waste of money.

    https://www.fullgenomes.com/

    https://us.dantelabs.com/

    30X Whole Genome Sequencing Test8 weeks - Standard USD $299.50
    with coupon DNADAY50 (Celebrate DNA DAY) - 50% OFF
    Last edited by td120; 23-04-20 at 19:26.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •