Wheal

Reaction score
Ethnic group
a true mutt
Y-DNA haplogroup
Pat-U106-H11a10
mtDNA haplogroup
H5a1b
I would love to hear comments about what you all think about the outcome for Big Y-700 will be from Family Tree DNA. Most specifically, what will it tell us, and will it go back and test to find where the split for the break in earlier snps or will it only test for more downstream snps.

From what I've heard a few people who have their results have received a fair bit of novel variants. This of course could be important for timing estimations of various Y trees, and depending on how many of those novel variants become defining SNPs it could help refine the tree further. Big Y700 will also be looking through more of the Y-chromosome compared to Big Y and Big Y500, so it will definitely have benefits.

My Y700 changes for myself...................... is that my private markers went from 26 to 40 ...........nothing new ............

My Y700 changes for myself...................... is that my private markers went from 26 to 40 ...........nothing new ............

The Y700 is a big Test :)

What kind of information did you get? ... and do you think that T-Z19945 has another branch? (besides CTS1848).

Did they tell you how many T-Z19945 they found and where?

... too many questions :ashamed2:

The Y700 is a big Test :)

What kind of information did you get? ... and do you think that T-Z19945 has another branch? (besides CTS1848).

Did they tell you how many T-Z19945 they found and where?

... too many questions :ashamed2:

No further matches than what i had...and we will evenrually split off without snp CTS1848

Thank you both for your comments.

On the two Y-700 tests that I ordered, there have been almost no changes, even in novel snps. On one, no changes at all, on the other 2 new novels. And now another question...

Could radiation treatments change the outcome of the reads, most specifically, on ambiguous results?

If you want to know your final yDNA branch don't waste your time testing STRs in FTDNA's Y-11, Y-25, Y-35, Y-65, Y-111. Go directly to Big Y-700 to test your SNPs.

In my specific case the FTDNA's Y-11, Y-25, Y-35, Y-65, Y-111 testings pointed my final estimated branch as the R-M269:

57uzgla.png

I only knew my downstream subclades and my final branch when I test with Big Y-700:
R-M269>R-L23>R-L51>R-P310>R-L151>R-P312>R-ZZ11>R-DF27>R-ZZ12_1>R-FGC78762>R-ZZ19_1>R-Z31644>R-BY2285>R-BY25634>R-FGC35133

G7LpuTu.png

nAF1OGS.png

Regards :)

Duarte: In regards to Post #8, thanks for the that information. So Family Tree DNA Big Y-700 is the one to get. I will definitely check it out. Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Cheers, PalermoTrapani

Duarte: I went to FTDNA.com and reviewed the Big Y-700 test. So if I am reading it correctly, that is a test that I must buy and do.

Duarte: I went to FTDNA.com and reviewed the Big Y-700 test. So if I am reading it correctly, that is a test that I must buy and do.

Hi Trapani. Big Y-700 is the test that you must buy ;)
It is an expensive test, unfortunately, but it is a definitive test. The other Y tests work with STR (Short Tandem Repeat) and are more useful in genealogical DNA testing in surname DNA projects and has become the prevalent analysis method for determining genetic profiles in forensic cases. They work with repetition frequencies. A short tandem repeat (STR) in DNA occurs when a pattern of two or more nucleotides are repeated and the repeated sequences are directly adjacent to each other. An STR is also known as a microsatellite. The pattern can range in length from 2 to 16 base pairs (bp) and is typically in the non-coding intron region. A short tandem repeat polymorphism (STRP) occurs when homologous STR loci differ in the number of repeats between individuals. By identifying repeats of a specific sequence at specific locations in the genome, it is possible to create a genetic profile of an individual. In summary and greatly simplifying, STR-based DNA tests give you an estimate of your yDNA. If you are lucky enough to have many matches, the more accurate your estimate will be. I was unlucky enough to have very few matches over shorter distances and it was only possible to predict that my yDNA was R-M269. A disappointing forecast, considering that the vast majority of Midwestern Europe belongs to this haplogroup. The BIG Y-700, in addition to testing more than 111 STRs, tests the SNPs on your Y chromosome. It is an accurate, state-of-the-art test. I am part of the FTDNA Project R-DF27 and the recommendation is not to waste money on the other Y tests if your intention is to know your final yDNA. If you just want a very upstream forecast, then test the STRs. If you want to confirm your final haplogroup, do BIg Y-700.
Cheers,
Duarte.

Hi Trapani. Big Y-700 is the test that you must buy ;)
It is an expensive test, unfortunately, but it is a definitive test. The other Y tests work with STR (Short Tandem Repeat) and are more useful in genealogical DNA testing in surname DNA projects and has become the prevalent analysis method for determining genetic profiles in forensic cases. They work with repetition frequencies. A short tandem repeat (STR) in DNA occurs when a pattern of two or more nucleotides are repeated and the repeated sequences are directly adjacent to each other. An STR is also known as a microsatellite. The pattern can range in length from 2 to 16 base pairs (bp) and is typically in the non-coding intron region. A short tandem repeat polymorphism (STRP) occurs when homologous STR loci differ in the number of repeats between individuals. By identifying repeats of a specific sequence at specific locations in the genome, it is possible to create a genetic profile of an individual. In summary and greatly simplifying, STR-based DNA tests give you an estimate of your yDNA. If you are lucky enough to have many matches, the more accurate your estimate will be. I was unlucky enough to have very few matches over shorter distances and it was only possible to predict that my yDNA was R-M269. A disappointing forecast, considering that the vast majority of Midwestern Europe belongs to this haplogroup. The BIG Y-700, in addition to testing more than 111 STRs, tests the SNPs on your Y chromosome. It is an accurate, state-of-the-art test. I am part of the FTDNA Project R-DF27 and the recommendation is not to waste money on the other Y tests if your intention is to know your final yDNA. If you just want a very upstream forecast, then test the STRs. If you want to confirm your final haplogroup, do BIg Y-700.
Cheers,
Duarte.

Thanks. I will get around to doing this one. FTDNA seems like they have multiple test. My guess is their FamilyFInder is just like Ancestry or 23 and Me's autosomal test. They also have a Mtdna test that looks like it does something similar to what the Big &-700. Is that correct?

Great information, thanks again. PalermoTrapani

Thanks. I will get around to doing this one. FTDNA seems like they have multiple test. My guess is their FamilyFInder is just like Ancestry or 23 and Me's autosomal test. They also have a Mtdna test that looks like it does something similar to what the Big &-700. Is that correct?

Great information, thanks again. PalermoTrapani

Hi Trapani.

FTDNA has three types of mtDNA tests, the most complete being the FMS - Full Mitochondrial Sequence, in addition to also having the auDNA test - Family Finder (Family Ancestry).

With regard to the complete sequencing of the yDNA, I believe that the best tests on the market are the FTDNA’s Big Y-700 and the YSEQ Whole Genome Testing 2.0, IMO.

Cheers :)

In YFull, my dad has 780 STR results

In YFull, my dad has 780 STR results

Yes, @Wheal.

Big Y-700 examines 700 short tandem repeats (STR) and over 200K SNPs on the Y chromosome.

The great problem, today, with the Big Y-700 is that for you to be able to generate the BAM file to upload to YFULL, you have to pay an additional amount for it. YSEQ has an agreement with YFULL and generates a BAM file for you at no additional cost. However, the cost of doing YSEQ Whole Genome Testing 2.0 is much higher than the BIG Y-700.

Cheers :)

$379(BigY-700) + $139(mtDNA Full Seq) =518 USD (+$100 for BAM file generation)= $618 as of today (promotional)

Yelite 2.1 (Full Genomes Corporation) - $425 (will give you mtDNA result too. FTDNA used to do this but now meticulously deletes all traces of mtdna from their BigY).

Dante Labs x30 can be had <300 USD on promotions. Gives you all of the above + autosomal results and health reports ($$,optional) . For 25$ Yseq will align your result to Hg38 and create a list of usable files -FASTA for the mtDNA result, BAM for the Y-chromosome result that you can upload to YFULL or FGC for analysis (49$) etc.Dante have promised to create a shareable link of the Y-chr. result for easier upload to Yfull but have not kept their promise. The results are downloadable ,but the links are not shareable so one has to either upload to a cloud service or let (yseq or whoever ) temporary access to the results so they can download the necessary files for processing.

http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=3209

https://ydna-warehouse.org/statistics.html

I am not into that technical stuff ..and there are plenty of discussions on the net. Seems like Dante's x30 is the great all-rounder (but you must opt-in to sharing your anonymized result for medical research etc-and there is no "decline" option !) ...and Full Genomes Corporation Yelite>BigY.

FTDNA does not accept other companies' BAM files for upload and this keeps you out of their extensive matching base ...but if your result is an uncommon one you may end up with no matches at all... And then most people upload to Yfull so...

Do some research before making your decision...and yes, doing a Y-chr. FullSeq is inevitable ...skip those STR and snp packs,waste of money.

https://www.fullgenomes.com/

https://us.dantelabs.com/

30X Whole Genome Sequencing Test8 weeks - Standard
USD $299.50
with coupon DNADAY50 (Celebrate DNA DAY) - 50% OFF

Last edited:
In 2017 I had a DNA test with 23andMe. My Y haplogroup result was R1b-L21. Since I had already traced my paternal line ancestry back to Ireland in the mid-18th century, that result was not much of a surprise, given the dominance of L21 in Ireland.

I'm considering the Big Y-700 test, but I'm wondering, what extra information would it give me? From my autosomal DNA matches with distant cousins, I'm fairly confident that I have correctly identified my Y DNA ancestor back in the 18th century. He was a Catholic living modestly in a rural parish near Dublin.

Given his location, the Irish Sea Cluster, Z255, seems like my most likely sub-clade of L21. I'm not sure I want to pay for the Big Y-500 just to confirm that, though.

Presumably the Big Y-500 would also identify a deeper sub-clade, but what would that tell me that I couldn't already guess? My Y DNA ancestors probably crossed the English Channel in the third millenium BC when Bell Beakers replaced about 90% of the population of Britain, then crossed the Irish Sea soon after. They have probably lived in Ireland ever since.

I'm mildly interested in knowing my deepest Y sub-clade, but if it's just a string of letters and numbers that has an estimated time of origin and some association with other surnames, then I guess I would have to be interested in that information for it's own sake?

No further matches than what i had...and we will evenrually split off without snp CTS1848

Matches: Y-37: 11; Y-700: 116.
Haplogroup: Y-37: I2-M223; Y-700: I2-M284 -> L126 -> Y4751 -> Y31616.

Number of Y-700 matches is dependent on how many have tested from your downstream clades. I'm in Isles-Scotland-Ireland, which had massive migration to U.S., which accounts for a ton of testing.

My private SNPs will form a new branch once others test for them.

i am also waiting for my big y700
durate mentioned here that it cost money to upload
the bam file to y full which is indeed bummer:disappointed:

p.s
but i will pay the extra money because yfull anlaysis of the bam
is also very important
and a person could end in an upstream branch of the branch ftdna gave him in the big y700 results:unsure:

i am also waiting for my big y700
durate mentioned here that it cost money to upload
the bam file to y full which is indeed bummer:disappointed:

p.s
but i will pay the extra money because yfull anlaysis of the bam
is also very important
and a person could end in an upstream branch of the branch ftdna gave him in the big y700 results:unsure:

For those who may not have heard, you can still access your Family Tree VCF file for free. According to YFull, they can still use VCF files for age estimations and that there’s very little difference between the two files (Bam & VCF) in that regard. Plus, if you should later decide that you would like to upload your Bam file, YFull says they will do the analysis for free. They have a listing of what they’re able to do with VCF files on their website.

https://www.yfull.com/

This thread has been viewed 19377 times.

Back