What does putting cameras on cats show?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Well, they behave differently around their humans than when outdoors on their own, so maybe they are attached, i.e. they follow their humans from room to room, vocalize more, bring home trophies etc.

The only flaw in the study is that a minority of cats wouldn't even allow themselves to be fitted with a camera, so those might be the more genetically socialized ones.

My cats have always behaved affectionately, but they're not dogs. The only cat I ever saw who behaved more like a dog was my mother's cat. Without a leash, he would follow her to the store and post office etc., wait outside, and then follow her home. She also couldn't sit down without him jumping on her lap.

See:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...-and-let-them-do-their-thing-here-s-what-they

This is also a small sample size.

We gave our young sons a cat to raise to teach them patience and kindness. It must have worked because the cat became a dog. It followed the boys everywhere, would play catch with a ball, “talked” incessantly, and sat in my lap (I’m the one who doesn’t like cats) whenever I sat down. When adults gathered at my house for meetings, the cat would take a chair, would seemingly follow the conversation, and even had a comment from time to time. Oddly, just like a little boy, it didn’t like little girls.

The cat did not forget its origins however; it was a great ratter.

We gave our young sons a cat to raise to teach them patience and kindness. It must have worked because the cat became a dog. It followed the boys everywhere, would play catch with a ball, “talked” incessantly, and sat in my lap (I’m the one who doesn’t like cats) whenever I sat down. When adults gathered at my house for meetings, the cat would take a chair, would seemingly follow the conversation, and even had a comment from time to time. Oddly, just like a little boy, it didn’t like little girls.

The cat did not forget its origins however; it was a great ratter.

:) My mother's would catch field mice, birds, etc. and bring them to her kitchen door as an offering. :) My two are very different from each other. The male is incredibly friendly, going up to be petted by anyone who comes into the house; my female hides. When I sit down I usually have one on my feet, one on my lap, and my dog cuddles up next to me with his head on my thigh. I'm balancing my laptop on top of a special "tray" on top of the cat. Every once in a while he reaches a paw up and around to swat the keys.

It can get pretty crowded. That's what happens when you spoil them all. :)

This thread has been viewed 3259 times.

Back