Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: What does putting cameras on cats show?

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

What does putting cameras on cats show?

Well, they behave differently around their humans than when outdoors on their own, so maybe they are attached, i.e. they follow their humans from room to room, vocalize more, bring home trophies etc.

The only flaw in the study is that a minority of cats wouldn't even allow themselves to be fitted with a camera, so those might be the more genetically socialized ones.

My cats have always behaved affectionately, but they're not dogs. The only cat I ever saw who behaved more like a dog was my mother's cat. Without a leash, he would follow her to the store and post office etc., wait outside, and then follow her home. She also couldn't sit down without him jumping on her lap.

See:
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...re-s-what-they

This is also a small sample size.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

Ethnic group
    English/German

We gave our young sons a cat to raise to teach them patience and kindness. It must have worked because the cat became a dog. It followed the boys everywhere, would play catch with a ball, “talked” incessantly, and sat in my lap (I’m the one who doesn’t like cats) whenever I sat down. When adults gathered at my house for meetings, the cat would take a chair, would seemingly follow the conversation, and even had a comment from time to time. Oddly, just like a little boy, it didn’t like little girls.

The cat did not forget its origins however; it was a great ratter.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We gave our young sons a cat to raise to teach them patience and kindness. It must have worked because the cat became a dog. It followed the boys everywhere, would play catch with a ball, “talked” incessantly, and sat in my lap (I’m the one who doesn’t like cats) whenever I sat down. When adults gathered at my house for meetings, the cat would take a chair, would seemingly follow the conversation, and even had a comment from time to time. Oddly, just like a little boy, it didn’t like little girls.

The cat did not forget its origins however; it was a great ratter.
    :) My mother's would catch field mice, birds, etc. and bring them to her kitchen door as an offering. :) My two are very different from each other. The male is incredibly friendly, going up to be petted by anyone who comes into the house; my female hides. When I sit down I usually have one on my feet, one on my lap, and my dog cuddles up next to me with his head on my thigh. I'm balancing my laptop on top of a special "tray" on top of the cat. Every once in a while he reaches a paw up and around to swat the keys.

It can get pretty crowded. That's what happens when you spoil them all. :)