bigsnake49

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Thracian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7558 (LDNA)
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1b
Those that have tested their YDNA and MtDNA results with both LivingDNA and other services, such as FTDNA or 23AndMe how close are the results? Those that have tested with only LivingDNA, how far down the phylogenetic tree did it go? Mine stopped at R1b-M269. Testing at Morley and wegene indicates L23.

I tested with both LivingDNA and 23 & Me, and both confirmed my same Y H2, and Mtdna H1c3 Haplogroups. I think they are both using similar tools, but have different visual interpretations. Regarding my Y H2 DNA Haplogroup, it is rare, and I only have the main identifying downstream 'P96' subclade confirmed by both, so I cannot move from that at this time.

In my case the actual results between them are not too far apart . In regard to my Autosomal makeup results, both confirm 100% European, with LivingDNA, 100% British and Irish, and 23 & Me 98% North West European, so not too far apart. I only tested with two different companies basically to have my results compared and confirmed.

The actual Haplogroup origins are a bit vague by both,in my opinion, as I just think they don't know.

23 & Me, do seem to want more of your results shared, and do offer to give a lot more personal health related information, if you accept or consent to their conditions.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea when Living DNA is actually going to open up dna matching and the chromosome browser to everyone? I have a very close match who is not even showing and supposedly I have access to the beta. Every few months LDNA breaks and makes a new deadline. I haven't seen anything new in two years, except more broken deadlines, and that's getting old. I'm starting to wonder if one day when sales slow, they just close shop. We'll go there, and the screen will say website does not exist.

I've done both FTDNA and Living DNA.
- I paid almost $300 to FTDNA and got nothing more than Y-DNA=G-M201 (not terribly helpful). Their G2a-L497 project did, however, provide much help in evaluating a 'possible' G2a-Z726 profile.
- Living DNA cost $79 and gave me Y-DNA=G-Z726, mtDNA= K1a4a1h, and auDNA=68% British Isles & 32% Germanic.

I've got no reason to be disappointed in Living DNA despite the negative comments I've heard in this forum. I know they're hit about being heavy on the British side for autosomal results, but that can be compensated for with Gedmatch, MyTrueAncestry, etc.

LivingDNA scored me as R1b-P312 for Y -DNA and T1a1 for mntDNA. These results are not very accurate but correct for a general DNA-test not much expansive (and much better than most of commercials testing) !! For more accurate results and rather low price, I reccommend YSeq for Y-DNA (done) or MntDNA (not yet done, but I think about it)

LivingDNA scored me as R1b-P312 for Y -DNA and T1a1 for mntDNA. These results are not very accurate but correct for a general DNA-test not much expansive (and much better than most of commercials testing) !! For more accurate results and rather low price, I reccommend YSeq for Y-DNA (done) or MntDNA (not yet done, but I think about it)

Dalluin:

As to accuracy, do you mean that your results are incorrect, incomplete or simply doesn't reach deep enough down the tree?

simply doesn't reach deep enough down the tree : more precision needed for my curiosity for Y-DNA !! enough in first time for Mnt DNA

simply doesn't reach deep enough down the tree : more precision needed for my curiosity for Y-DNA !! enough in first time for Mnt DNA

Dalluin,

I asked because Living DNA gave me a deeper dive than FTDNA for 1/4 the cost, at least for Y-DNA. That is, G-M201 (the top of the tree) vs G-Z726, one step above unverified bottom level of Z36217. I guess results vary.

This thread has been viewed 5122 times.

Back