Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could Armenians have been in Armi/Armani

Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 38.0%

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    Thanks. According to Vladimir Orel, Albanian actually doesn't share many features with Armenian, or Indo-Iranian. Very few shared specific Isoglosses. He is to be taken with a grain of salt, but if Hamp is correct, then it would make sense, that Albanian was not part of the Greco-Armenian branch and only came into contact with Greek (since it shares high unique isoglosses) long after it had split off from armenian:

This doesn't surprise me. It just further supports my argument that Armenians were not originally a Balkan people.

It seems that, besides both being Indo-European and both having their own subfamilies within the greater IE language family, that's really where the similarities between Armenians and Albanians end.

As fascinating as the Albanian language is, there are quite a few threads on the board related to Albanians and Albanian. Let's go back to talking about Armenian history and language in this thread!

1 year registered10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 84.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by tyuiopman View Post

As fascinating as the Albanian language is, there are quite a few threads on the board related to Albanians and Albanian. Let's go back to talking about Armenian history and language in this thread!
    Don't worry I just posted it to complement your statement, as I always thought it was weird why albanian has so little Indo-Iranian and Armenian links compared to Greek, and your scenario made sense. Keep posting more stuff as it is very interesting and compelling.
    "As we have already stressed, the mass evacuation of the Albanians from their triangle is the only effective course we can take. In order to relocate a whole people, the first prerequisite is the creation of a suitable psychosis. This can be done in various ways." - Vaso Cubrilovic

Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 38.0%

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    Don't worry I just posted it to complement your statement, as I always thought it was weird why albanian has so little Indo-Iranian and Armenian links compared to Greek, and your scenario made sense. Keep posting more stuff as it is very interesting and compelling.
    I do think the djerm/djarm thing is interesting, thanks for pointing that out! I didn't know that about Albanian, but it's funny that both Armenian and Albanian developed PIE *gwermos the same way (from gw to dj).

Here are some interesting Armenian origins articles, if you have a bit of time and are interested. I've been using these as references:

This one is really comprehensive:

https://www.academia.edu/3657764/Tow...ew_in_English_

This one is a little bit more palatable/a quicker read:

https://www.hse.ru/data/2014/09/01/1...%20Handout.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12