1. Switzerland
2. Norway
3. Netherlands
4. Denmark
5. Sweden
6. Poland

And Chinese people LEAST honest in the world?:

C2sN8fN.png

I think Japan and Korea should be somewhere on the very top...

I think Swiss bankers should be somewhere at the very bottom... :)

Well, let's look on the bright side: in about half of the countries about 50% or more of the people will turn in the wallet if there's money in it.

The latter, btw, is what was more interesting and unexpected to me, i.e. that people are more likely to turn in the wallet if there's money in it. I suppose the instinct is that if there's money in it, people could be really hurt by the loss and so it's worth the inconvenience of turning it in or mailing it to the person.

Actually, given the fraud that could be committed with all my credit cards, having to cancel them immediately so I'm not saddled with the bills, and then having to change all my automatic payment information with my bank, and mostly the torturous inconvenience of having to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a new driver's license, I'd rather they take the sixty dollars or so I keep in my wallet and mail me the wallet. I'd give them the money gladly to get all the rest back anyway. (Whenever I hear foreigners in Italy complain about having to wait in line at bureaucratic offices in Italy, I know they don't come from the New York Metropolitan area. You want to replace a license? You lost your Social Security card and need a duplicate? Be prepared to sit in an office all day long talking to obnoxious clerks.)

For all that the U.S. is so low on the list (although higher than Italy!), I've found every day people to be quite honest in these kinds of small matters. I tend to be the absent minded professor type, and have on a couple of occasions left my entire bag behind. In my defense, it was, except for once, when I had two small children and was lugging them, my bag, a push cart, a huge "child's" bag etc. Once, I was on my own with my babies on my way to visit my very ill mother. It was a four hour drive by car and I stopped to get something to eat and some coffee, tucked my bag under the seat, and left it. I didn't realize it until I got to my mother's house. I frantically called the restaurant, and the nice manager told me he'd put it in the safe, and to pick it up on my way back. He wouldn't even take any money for doing it.

I do have to add that this kind of theft is "small potatoes", (unless the personal theft involved violence of any kind, of course). The kinds of theft which ruin families are ponzi schemes, investment fraud, the disappearance of company pension funds, fraudulent banking practices etc.

Personally, I think the government rate of taxation of my money is theft of a kind too. When I earn money, working damn hard for it I might add, I'm taxed. If I invest the money, the profits are taxed. Then, when I die they tax it again so my children get less. Highway robbery, imo, but that's for a different discussion. :)

This thread has been viewed 6559 times.

Back