Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/06/21/676437.full.pdf

m0pKTnC.png

I didn't read the paper yet so maybe there's an explanation, but the findings for places like Argentina seem completely off. The impact of Italian migration there is much bigger than that.

The figures for the U.S. are also absurd. There is nowhere near as much French ancestry as that in the U.S. It's mainly some French Canadians in the Northeast and upper Midwest, and the Cajuns.

I don't know these authors, but something is really wrong with their analysis. No one should take these results seriously.

See:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/06/21/676437.full.pdf

m0pKTnC.png

I didn't read the paper yet so maybe there's an explanation, but the findings for places like Argentina seem completely off. The impact of Italian migration there is much bigger than that.

The figures for the U.S. are also absurd. There is nowhere near as much French ancestry as that in the U.S. It's mainly some French Canadians in the Northeast and upper Midwest, and the Cajuns.

I don't know these authors, but something is really wrong with their analysis. No one should take these results seriously.

Angela, I agree with you regarding Argentina. I see the graphs and I find that Argentina is too similar to those of Chile and Mexico, something that does not correspond to reality ...

Let’s not mistake Buenos Aires for Argentina as a whole. Buenos Aires is overwhelmingly European, no doubt about it. But the rest of Argentina (especially the Northern provinces) isn’t so different from, let’s say, Chile, as far as phenotypes/ethnic composition are concerned.

Let’s not mistake Buenos Aires for Argentina as a whole. Buenos Aires is overwhelmingly European, no doubt about it. But the rest of Argentina (especially the Northern provinces) isn’t so different from, let’s say, Chile, as far as phenotypes/ethnic composition are concerned.

It is true, there are differences between Buenos Aires and other provinces. But the population of European origin predominates in the most populated provinces (Buenos Aires, Cordoba, Santa Fe), and is very important in the others, so, when averaging them with the rest of the country, I do not think that it will produce a final result for Argentina similar to Chile or Mexico ...

Oh ASW has the same admixture as African americans? yet they(AfroAme) only make 6% of the regions(Southwests) population.

As for French DNA, beside French Canadians and Cajun, there were Hugenots that came early and fade out rapidly into the general American population and could be part of the American background genetic. But that would be a too low for the score they give, my guess is a good part of German DNA is counted as French here.
Edit: Unless there's something else going on, like English nobility could have a higher portion of French DNA than commoners and their descendants influenced the American population composition more than other classes, for some reasons. Or some other twist like that.

This thread has been viewed 6409 times.

Back