Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Does genetics prove Iran/Armenia is the original land of Indo-Europeans?

Banned Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    For God's sakes, anybody can throw populations into an algorithm and get a "fit". That doesn't mean it's remotely plausible historically or archaeologically.

That's what's wrong with this hobby: too many people with no real knowledge of the material and their own axes to grind have access to programs where they can just plug in any numbers they choose.
    If anyone is able to refute the closeness of this fit or to replicate its closeness using different populations or programs, I would be interested to see it.

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 551

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    If anyone is able to refute the closeness of this fit or to replicate its closeness using different populations or programs, I would be interested to see it.
    Well a good model that fits nicely can be totally wrong in terms of history and actual real ancestry
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Well a good model that fits nicely can be totally wrong in terms of history and actual real ancestry
    It can be - anything is possible. But is it likely that real ancestry is the total opposite of what the genetics indicate? No.

I've just checked up on the history, and find that it doesn't look wrong at all:
    1. In the early 1st millennium BC, Italy was influenced by the Orientalising Period, in which Assyrian, Syrian and Phoenician culture moved in - my best-fit model estimates the greatest degree of Eastern admixture as coming from Northern Levant.
    2. The Assyrian empire of that era extended from Northern Levant almost to South Urmia, which is where my Iranian sample from that same era was located, and not far from where my Armenian samples were located only a couple of hundred years earlier.
    3. In that same period, bilingual inscriptions have been found in Phoenician and an IE language in Neo-Hittite sites in the Northern Levant.
    4. The earliest-attested Italic dates to the Orientalising Period.

The autosomal closest fit actually matches surprisingly well with this.

We have no firm evidence where the Italic languages originated, but it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they migrated over to Italy with these 'orientals'.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    More than 2,000 years Strabo also mentioned Greek burial places in Mazandaran: http://perseus.uchicago.edu/perseus-...2011.7&getid=2
    Strabo lived in the 1st century BCE-1st century CE. Alexander the Great lived in the 4th century BCE. Here is a map of Alexander's empire at its greatest extent.

64954-004-B050D47D.jpg

Why would it be surprising that Greek armor and burials would be found in Iran after Alexander?

3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Eurasian
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Eurasian

Ethnic group
    Caucasian

Here is my substantiation. I obtained an optimal autosomal fit (98.7%) for a sample of 5 Southern Italians by combining the following historical samples in the proportions indicated -
    Anatolia 7th mill BC (Barcin various) - 2%
    Balkans 5th mill BC (I2181) - 10%
    Iberia 4th mill BC (ATP3) - 31%
    Steppe 4th mill BC (RISE 507 & 508) - 3%
    Armenia 4th mill BC (I1658) - 3%
    Lebanon early 2nd mill BC (ERS1790732) - 30%
    Armenia mid 2nd mill BC (I1656, RISE 416, RISE 423) - 2%
    Armenia late 2nd mill BC (various) - 10%
    Iran early 1st mill BC (F38) - 9%

As always, if you or anyone else can find a different combination that fits significantly better, I would be interested to learn what it is.
    This could be mix of local WHG and Steppe people but because Steppe admixture is itself very mix so the bias is in favour of local WHG component, are you getting what I am saying parts of Yamnaya's components could easily be confused with local WHG component hence give you much lesser values.

Banned Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 99.0%

Quote Originally Posted by tyuiopman View Post
    Strabo lived in the 1st century BCE-1st century CE. Alexander the Great lived in the 4th century BCE. Here is a map of Alexander's empire at its greatest extent.

64954-004-B050D47D.jpg

Why would it be surprising that Greek armor and burials would be found in Iran after Alexander?
    Conquest of an empire is one thing and migration from a land to another land, is another thing. Persians also conquered a large part of Asia, Europe and Africa but it doesn't mean Persians migrated to those lands too.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by nornosh View Post
    This could be mix of local WHG and Steppe people but because Steppe admixture is itself very mix so the bias is in favour of local WHG component, are you getting what I am saying parts of Yamnaya's components could easily be confused with local WHG component hence give you much lesser values.
    Yes, although the specific mix fits more closely with Iberian ATP3, which itself fits more closely with prior Steppe-infused Balkanic samples. This suggests to me that Steppe-infused Chalcolithic Balkanic people most likely didn't all 'die in childhood, restricted to the tell towns', but spread across Southern Europe - into both Iberia and Italy - some time in advance of Yamnayans. And that these were predominantly the people with whose descendants later North Levantine immigants admixed in Southern Italy.

Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Conquest of an empire is one thing and migration from a land to another land, is another thing. Persians also conquered a large part of Asia, Europe and Africa but it doesn't mean Persians migrated to those lands too.
    We know that there were Greek colonies in different areas of the Black Sea and in the Middle East. Additionally, conquering armies would have brought "hangers on" and established governments would have brought officials, courtesans, sometimes wives, etc.

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 551

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

1 members found this post helpful.
    It can be - anything is possible. But is it likely that real ancestry is the total opposite of what the genetics indicate? No.

I've just checked up on the history, and find that it doesn't look wrong at all:
    1. In the early 1st millennium BC, Italy was influenced by the Orientalising Period, in which Assyrian, Syrian and Phoenician culture moved in - my best-fit model estimates the greatest degree of Eastern admixture as coming from Northern Levant.
    2. The Assyrian empire of that era extended from Northern Levant almost to South Urmia, which is where my Iranian sample from that same era was located, and not far from where my Armenian samples were located only a couple of hundred years earlier.
    3. In that same period, bilingual inscriptions have been found in Phoenician and an IE language in Neo-Hittite sites in the Northern Levant.

We have no firm evidence where the Italic languages originated, but it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they migrated over to Italy with these 'orientals'.
    Yes everyone in the Middle East all at once for some reason thought to themselves: "LETS GO TO ITALY" and thus they went and all was good. Let's not forget that ashkenazim are from Armenia in eastern turkey.. elhaik had the same conclusion!! Brilliant man btw.

Now go off and spread the word about them dang ol I-talens or them no good dang-ol Jews...better yet, get a life or at the very least spread your dumb agendas in other forums.

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

i just dont see how as its the iranians or armenians who have R haplogroups.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

if indo european languages were oroginally spoken by sais groups then we would see more J along the paternal line.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Eurasian
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Eurasian

Ethnic group
    Caucasian

Yet it's possible IE Italics moved in from Balkans or the Alps when Phoenicians were moving with lower intensity to Sicily etc.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112