I-L205.1. Question

Stolfi1

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-L205.1
mtDNA haplogroup
U4c1
Hi, This is my first post here and I am hoping that I am posting on the correct forum page. I had my brother take the 23andme DNA test so that I can get our haplogroup and it came back as I-L205.1. When I read the information on that haplogroup I was surprised when I got to the part about I-M253 breaking off into I-L22 and that it was at a time when King Aistuf ruled Lombard. Maybe I am thinking to much into it (which is likely), but my family surname with that haplogroup is Stolfi which is a derivative of the name Aistulf. Nearly all Stolfi's were from the Avigliano area in Southern Italy, but I can only go back to the mid-1800's on that line of my family. I attached my brother's DNA incase that matters (everything from Southern European down is from our father). I believe the Western Asian may have come from our father's mother (she was from Calabria). I guess I'm wondering if it's likely that my Stolfi family with the haplogroup of I-L205.1 were likely Germans and also what happened between the I-L22 and I-L205.1 - 23andme left that information out. I'm very curious about where my family was before it was in Avigliano. Thanks in advance for any info! Sorry, i just realized that since I am new on here that I can't post attachments - it's unlikely anyway that seeing his dna results would help answering my question anyhow!

Last edited:
I think the most likely explanation is that you are descended from the Normans. L205 is found in places where they have settled, like England and France.

This thread has been viewed 5795 times.

Back