What were Y-lineages of the Illyrians of Italy

Johane Derite

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
mtDNA haplogroup
U1a1a
We are already aware of Messapics and such. But what about the Illyrians that, according to Leonard Robert Palmer, assimilated into the east italics and oscans. He even says something interesting about Illyrian invasion possibly pushing the Latins out of their settlements in Po Basin into Latium. Po Basin has higher J2b2-L283 and EV13, so I guess these two are most probably Illyrian related.

P6vVvqP.png

pidemont.jpg

We are already aware of Messapics and such. But what about the Illyrians that, according to Leonard Robert Palmer, assimilated into the east italics and oscans. He even says something interesting about Illyrian invasion possibly pushing the Latins out of their settlements in Po Basin into Latium. Po Basin has higher J2b2-L283 and EV13, so I guess these two are most probably Illyrian related.

P6vVvqP.png

I have said this years ago, but the term illyrian is nonsense.....romans called the area illyricum but not the people, they where either dalmatians, pannonians, liburnians, iapodes etc...roman census had the same thing
Illyria is like scandinavia....we have danes , swedes and norwegians, but the term scandinavians is only a geographical term....same thing for illyrians

According to this there's actually quite a bit of E-V13 in central Sicily and Liguria into Southern France. I think for the latter it's Greek settlers and traders, i.e. Massalia and Genova.

Venice's ties with Greece are too numerous even to mention.

Last edited:

E-V13 and
J2b2-L283 are older than any Iron age ethnicity. I find Grugni in her speculations on the spread of certain haplogroups due to ethnos of the late Bronze/early Iron Age not very credible.

Genetists should more focus on presenting their results and make less assumptions, especially when the latter involve knowledge of archaeology, linguistics and history that geneticists do not have.

E-V13 and
J2b2-L283 are older than any Iron age ethnicity. I find Grugni in her speculations on the spread of certain haplogroups due to ethnos of the late Bronze/early Iron Age not very credible.

Genetists should more focus on presenting their results and make less assumptions, especially when the latter involve knowledge of archaeology, linguistics and history that geneticists do not have.

Indo Europeans spread before the Iron Age though and some scholars claim Proto-Ilyrians were Bronze Age rather than Iron Age people. Same thing for Thracians apparently.

This thread has been viewed 5180 times.

Back