Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Thread: Viking world population genomics

  1. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    20-07-19
    Posts
    2


    Country: United States



    Hi! I'm a real newbie to all of this and have no clue as to what I'm doing, lol. I was searching for posts related to my haplogroup U5b1c2b and found this thread. So, this means I'm related to VK30? Also, can someone help me to find good educational information about how to understand and conduct beginning level genetic research? This is all extraordinarily fascinating to me, but I'm completely lost in the woods here, LOL! Thank you!!

  2. #27
    Regular Member leperrine's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-02-17
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    66

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-L70

    Country: USA - Alabama



    One of the J2a samples is L-70 (my haplogroup) I'm a direct male descendant of Normans. I wonder if they have more information on this guy.

  3. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-12-11
    Location
    Sofia
    Posts
    340

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-L70
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a2a1

    Ethnic group
    Bulgarian
    Country: Bulgaria



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by leperrine View Post
    One of the J2a samples is L-70 (my haplogroup) I'm a direct male descendant of Normans. I wonder if they have more information on this guy.
    Yes I am also J2a-L70, so is my maternal GrandPa. The interesting thing is that if I am not mistaken one of the J2 Vikings is also MT H2a2a1, which is my female line. But I do not know if it is the L70 or M67 Viking.

    Can somebody publish here the autosomal results of the male line J2(I think 3 of them) and female line H2a2a1( I think there are 4 of them) ? Thanks in advance!

  4. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    13-01-12
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    943

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    proly R1B

    Ethnic group
    Romanian
    Country: Romania



    If some of the Vikings had Polish-like admixture, that does not means that they were ethnic Poles, they were clearly having mother tongue Old Norse, that is well known.
    Besides, this Polish like admixture might have been shared between the ancestors of Poles and ancestors of some of the Vikings.

  5. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    13-01-12
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    943

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    proly R1B

    Ethnic group
    Romanian
    Country: Romania



    Anyway, I see a lot of J maternal lines, which does not look very European like.
    There are 47 persons that have J maternal lines from a total of 440 persons.
    10% J maternal lines is not really looking very European.
    28 persons got T maternal lines.
    That is more than 5%.
    Just for the statistics, 200 persons with H or H+V or V maternal lines.
    This is looking quite European.

    Last edited by mihaitzateo; 28-07-19 at 18:59.

  6. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-02-17
    Posts
    146


    Country: United States



    They're as European as they can be. Check out reliable sources please (Ian Logan's Genbank accession # ref.list ; Yfull tree ; FTDNA mt Public tree etc.)

  7. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-12-11
    Location
    Sofia
    Posts
    340

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-L70
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a2a1

    Ethnic group
    Bulgarian
    Country: Bulgaria



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaitzateo View Post
    Anyway, I see a lot of J maternal lines, which does not look very European like.
    There are 47 persons that have J maternal lines from a total of 440 persons.
    10% J maternal lines is not really looking very European.
    28 persons got T maternal lines.
    That is more than 5%.
    Just for the statistics, 200 persons with H or H+V or V maternal lines.
    This is looking quite European.

    Т and J female lines are really European, please read some more :)

  8. #33
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    21,699


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    There's definitely some R1a in far Southern Europe, but I don't know if it's all been fully classified. I would think some is Z93, but maybe there's a few "Viking" R1a as well as some I1 and U-106.



    As a nice adjunct to the genetics:
    https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-trt071719.php


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  9. #34
    Regular Member Joey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Location
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    Posts
    464

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-YP445
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c2b

    Ethnic group
    Celto-Germanic
    Country: USA - Rhode Island



    1 members found this post helpful.
    26 samples had J1c mtdna. This is a map of J1c frequency. Pretty non-European, right?J1c.gif

  10. #35
    Elite member
    Join Date
    25-10-11
    Location
    Brittany
    Age
    73
    Posts
    5,554

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

    Ethnic group
    more celtic
    Country: France



    1 members found this post helpful.
    I suppose Vikings could be compared to some sea-nomads in a way; pshychologically or culturally close to land nomads when they were raiders and plunderers. Basically Scandinavians, they can have taken with them some skillful outsiders pushed by the same wants of money and glory, wherever they had found these last ones. I think a part of the R-L21 of Western Norwegian is not due to slaves but rather to 'Gael-Gals', these mixes of Norwegians and Irishmen living in Viking communities in the Great Isles.
    It seems there have been some Slavs so why not Slavs, Finns and others with the Eastern Vikings of Swedish origin? Even if scandinavian language kept on the 'koine'?

  11. #36
    Regular Member spruithean's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-08-12
    Posts
    435


    Country: Canada



    This paper was definitely a good haul for Haplogroup I1, lots of subclades (Z59, Z140, Z73, etc) no matter how lacking in depth they may have been. Certainly one of the more interesting pieces (at least to me, Orkney & Shetland are fascinating to me) was the Pictish population of Orkney adopting Scandinavian culture and going "Viking".

  12. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    05-10-19
    Posts
    1

    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1bb

    Country: Australia



    I found the article interesting as I am H1bb from my 3x gt grandmother from the Isle of Skye Scotland - and there were 2 mentions of H1b and 2 of H1bb in the list. The map of Viking activity was also very helpful.

  13. #38
    Regular Member I1a3_Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-17
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    550

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

    Ethnic group
    Basically British
    Country: USA - Florida



    A total lack of I1-Z63. I'm in the Z63 research group on FTDNA/FaceBook and I think the emerging consensus is that most of the Z63 in modern Scandinavia was due to more recent migrations.

    As for the talk of Wends, etc and the Saxons/English:

    There are many wendish place names in the old Saxon kingdoms of southern England. The Saxons and Angles were each the largest group and leader of large conglomerations of Germanic tribes. I believe it's entirely reasonable that some of their migration included individuals just to the east of the Saxon lands in Germany, meaning over to Pomerania and western Poland, which were ethnically Germanic at that time (before Slavic expansion). The earliest historical sample of Z63 is from the Wielbark culture closely contemporary to the Anglo-Saxon migrations to Britain.
    Administrator of the Young Family Project
    Genetic genealogy enthusiast

  14. #39
    Regular Member I1a3_Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-17
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    550

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

    Ethnic group
    Basically British
    Country: USA - Florida



    Quote Originally Posted by I1a3_Young View Post
    A total lack of I1-Z63. I'm in the Z63 research group on FTDNA/FaceBook and I think the emerging consensus is that most of the Z63 in modern Scandinavia was due to more recent migrations.

    As for the talk of Wends, etc and the Saxons/English:

    There are many wendish place names in the old Saxon kingdoms of southern England. The Saxons and Angles were each the largest group and leader of large conglomerations of Germanic tribes. I believe it's entirely reasonable that some of their migration included individuals just to the east of the Saxon lands in Germany, meaning over to Pomerania and western Poland, which were ethnically Germanic at that time (before Slavic expansion). The earliest historical sample of Z63 is from the Wielbark culture closely contemporary to the Anglo-Saxon migrations to Britain.
    Maybe not emerging consensus about recent Z63 in Scandinavia but certainly plenty of anecdotal evidence.

    Here's a link about Rugians and Wends in England:

    https://www.wilcuma.org.uk/who-are-t...onic-settlers/

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Eupedia Forum mobile app

  15. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    16-10-17
    Posts
    222

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    H2a1 M9313
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c3

    Country: UK - England



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Reading the link, and regarding the name of county of 'Wiltshire' as coming from a people of the Wiltsaetas.

    It actually is believed to of came from, either the place/farm on the river Wylye, ie later village of Wilton, or the tun near the Willows the Willow- Tun, on the river Wylye ( meaning- an Anglo-Saxon settlement near the willows ) hence todays village of Wilton, whereby Wiltshire is derived from.

    It has nothing to do with a Slavic tribe from the Baltic, in my opinion.

  16. #41
    Regular Member torzio's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Location
    Eastern Australia
    Posts
    3,537

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - Y79536
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a

    Ethnic group
    North East Italian
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by I1a3_Young View Post
    Maybe not emerging consensus about recent Z63 in Scandinavia but certainly plenty of anecdotal evidence.

    Here's a link about Rugians and Wends in England:

    https://www.wilcuma.org.uk/who-are-t...onic-settlers/

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Eupedia Forum mobile app
    your link says polabians

    the only Polabian (wends) where

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veleti...bian_Slavs.png
    Fathers mtdna ...... T2b17
    Grandfather paternal mtdna ... T1a1e
    Sons mtdna ...... K1a4p
    Mothers line ..... R1b-S8172
    Grandmother paternal side ... I1-CTS6397
    Wife paternal line ..... R1a-PF6155

    "Fear profits man, nothing"

  17. #42
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,957

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Rare e-fgc7391 972AD
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    hi
    i orederd it now ( bored and curious to know if i have some sharing with them)
    it is my real swab living dna kit not an upload from ftdna or another company
    Using samples from ancient burial sites, we have been able to identify 4 distinct viking populations:
    • Vikings of Norway
    • Vikings of Eastern Europe
    • Vikings of Denmark and Sweden
    • Vikings of Great Britain, Ireland and Iceland

    We can compare your DNA to each of these groups to tell you which vikings you are most genetically similar to!
    We will also tell you your Viking Index - how viking you are compared to other Living DNA members.

    The Viking index represents the amount of DNA that you share with ancient Vikings.
    To find this figure, we first calculate the genetic similarities between your DNA and the DNA obtained from known ancient viking and non-viking samples.
    This allows us to estimate how much DNA you share with each of our Viking Groups.
    We then compare your value to those of all other Living DNA users. This yields your Viking Index score.
    The Viking Index score allows you to see where your result falls in comparison to the whole range of Viking Indexes across the Living DNA user base.
    For example, if your Viking Index is 80%, this means that your DNA is more similar to Viking DNA than 80% of all Living DNA customers.
    cosumer review:
    Remember, this isn’t necessarily a measure of how Viking you are, but rather if you are more or less Viking than other members of the Living DNA community. Additionally, you will find out if you are more closely aligned with any of their various subgroups (Norwegian, Swedish and Danish, British and North Atlantic, or Eastern European). This is just another way to explore what your DNA can tell you about your ancestral ethnicity.
    There is a $20 fee for this bit of insight into your deep ancestral past, available whether you test with Living DNA or upload your test results from another company (as long as you have European ancestry).

    p.s

    it will probably be extremely low index
    but i am interested to know which group of vikings i am most similar
    i am gambeling on the eastern groups
    will post results when they will be ready


    Update:
    Got results my viking index is 20% ( that means i have more viking dna than 20% of living dna costumers i thought i would have lower index
    Like 5%)

    https://i.imgur.com/Su7F2E3.png

    About which group i am closest to :
    vikings of eastern europe( must be slavic genes
    To some extent from my quarter bulgarian)

    https://i.imgur.com/5VF1MCB.png
    Last edited by kingjohn; 03-11-22 at 15:33.
    Direct paternal line : mizrahi from damascus
    e-fgc7391
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-FGC7391/

  18. #43
    Elite member
    Join Date
    25-10-11
    Location
    Brittany
    Age
    73
    Posts
    5,554

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

    Ethnic group
    more celtic
    Country: France



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    hi
    i orederd it now ( bored and curious to know if i have some sharing with them)
    it is my real swab living dna kit not an upload from ftdna or another company
    Using samples from ancient burial sites, we have been able to identify 4 distinct viking populations:
    • Vikings of Norway
    • Vikings of Eastern Europe
    • Vikings of Denmark and Sweden
    • Vikings of Great Britain, Ireland and Iceland

    We can compare your DNA to each of these groups to tell you which vikings you are most genetically similar to!
    We will also tell you your Viking Index - how viking you are compared to other Living DNA members.

    The Viking index represents the amount of DNA that you share with ancient Vikings.
    To find this figure, we first calculate the genetic similarities between your DNA and the DNA obtained from known ancient viking and non-viking samples.
    This allows us to estimate how much DNA you share with each of our Viking Groups.
    We then compare your value to those of all other Living DNA users. This yields your Viking Index score.
    The Viking Index score allows you to see where your result falls in comparison to the whole range of Viking Indexes across the Living DNA user base.
    For example, if your Viking Index is 80%, this means that your DNA is more similar to Viking DNA than 80% of all Living DNA customers.
    cosumer review:
    Remember, this isn’t necessarily a measure of how Viking you are, but rather if you are more or less Viking than other members of the Living DNA community. Additionally, you will find out if you are more closely aligned with any of their various subgroups (Norwegian, Swedish and Danish, British and North Atlantic, or Eastern European). This is just another way to explore what your DNA can tell you about your ancestral ethnicity.
    There is a $20 fee for this bit of insight into your deep ancestral past, available whether you test with Living DNA or upload your test results from another company (as long as you have European ancestry).

    p.s

    it will probably be extremely low index
    but i am interested to know which group of vikings i am most similar
    i am gambeling on the eastern groups
    will post results when they will be ready


    Update:
    Got results my viking index is 20% ( that means i have more viking dna than 20% of living dna costumers i thought i would have lower index
    Like 5%)

    https://i.imgur.com/Su7F2E3.png

    About which group i am closest to :
    vikings of eastern europe( must be slavic genes
    To some extent from my quarter bulgarian)

    https://i.imgur.com/5VF1MCB.png
    All this proves the approximative quality of this kind of 'analysis': algorhyms who mistake recent ancestry and deep ancestry;
    At first sight, I 'd say.

  19. #44
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,957

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Rare e-fgc7391 972AD
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    All this proves the approximative quality of this kind of 'analysis': algorhyms who mistake recent ancestry and deep ancestry;
    At first sight, I 'd say.

    i don't recomend this test
    it doesnt tell me the the thing i was looking
    for
    how much viking dna i have if any ? ( or more precise how much of my total genome resemble there viking refernces ?)

    they sent me so many emails
    so i gave up pay the 20$ and went for it
    but people should not at the moment
    they need to update there update
    Last edited by kingjohn; 04-11-22 at 00:25.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 05-05-21, 18:44
  2. Genomics in 2018
    By Jovialis in forum DNA Testing & General Genetics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-12-18, 18:47
  3. A female Viking warrior confirmed by genomics
    By Eric Thing in forum Iron Age & Antiquity
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-17, 18:49
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-08-17, 04:41
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-07-17, 18:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •