Viking world population genomics

There were 29 U106 samples in this group.

There were 29 U106 samples in this group.

u106 is the germanic branch if i am not mistaken .....
the vikings descendants from north germanic tribes .....

u106 is the germanic branch if i am not mistaken .....
the vikings descendants from north germanic tribes .....

yes I think so,

My father matches SaamiKola25, kit # M109244, 17 segments with the largest at 5.2cM for a total of 63.0 cM.

Vikings sorted by Polish admixture:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/bio...xiv.org/content/biorxiv/ear...x?download=true

I think that VK157, VK156 and VK154 have similar results to what I would score here (or my mother, as she has strong "Finnish / Fennoscandian" admix):

k7opkhA.png

In other words, VK157, VK156 and VK154 were probably like your average modern North-Western Pole (such as my aunt from Tuchola; I need to test her).

=====

In Gotland 5/18 Viking samples (or ca. 28%) have over 50% of Polish-like admixture. Unexpected.

And, if I may ask, what are Polish like autosomally in terms of ancient, Iron Age ancestry? Do you think that Polish-like admixture is a truly "Proto-Slavic" sign, or do Polish people in fact inherit a mix of Slavic, Baltic and Germanic speakers' admixtures (and maybe even others)?

Last edited:
Hi! I'm a real newbie to all of this and have no clue as to what I'm doing, lol. I was searching for posts related to my haplogroup U5b1c2b and found this thread. So, this means I'm related to VK30? Also, can someone help me to find good educational information about how to understand and conduct beginning level genetic research? This is all extraordinarily fascinating to me, but I'm completely lost in the woods here, LOL! Thank you!!

One of the J2a samples is L-70 (my haplogroup) I'm a direct male descendant of Normans. I wonder if they have more information on this guy.

One of the J2a samples is L-70 (my haplogroup) I'm a direct male descendant of Normans. I wonder if they have more information on this guy.

Yes I am also J2a-L70, so is my maternal GrandPa. The interesting thing is that if I am not mistaken one of the J2 Vikings is also MT H2a2a1, which is my female line. But I do not know if it is the L70 or M67 Viking.

Can somebody publish here the autosomal results of the male line J2(I think 3 of them) and female line H2a2a1( I think there are 4 of them) ? Thanks in advance!

If some of the Vikings had Polish-like admixture, that does not means that they were ethnic Poles, they were clearly having mother tongue Old Norse, that is well known.
Besides, this Polish like admixture might have been shared between the ancestors of Poles and ancestors of some of the Vikings.

Anyway, I see a lot of J maternal lines, which does not look very European like.
There are 47 persons that have J maternal lines from a total of 440 persons.
10% J maternal lines is not really looking very European.
28 persons got T maternal lines.
That is more than 5%.
Just for the statistics, 200 persons with H or H+V or V maternal lines.
This is looking quite European.

Last edited:
They're as European as they can be. Check out reliable sources please (Ian Logan's Genbank accession # ref.list ; Yfull tree ; FTDNA mt Public tree etc.)

Anyway, I see a lot of J maternal lines, which does not look very European like.
There are 47 persons that have J maternal lines from a total of 440 persons.
10% J maternal lines is not really looking very European.
28 persons got T maternal lines.
That is more than 5%.
Just for the statistics, 200 persons with H or H+V or V maternal lines.
This is looking quite European.

Т and J female lines are really European, please read some more :)

26 samples had J1c mtdna. This is a map of J1c frequency. Pretty non-European, right?J1c.gif

I suppose Vikings could be compared to some sea-nomads in a way; pshychologically or culturally close to land nomads when they were raiders and plunderers. Basically Scandinavians, they can have taken with them some skillful outsiders pushed by the same wants of money and glory, wherever they had found these last ones. I think a part of the R-L21 of Western Norwegian is not due to slaves but rather to 'Gael-Gals', these mixes of Norwegians and Irishmen living in Viking communities in the Great Isles.
It seems there have been some Slavs so why not Slavs, Finns and others with the Eastern Vikings of Swedish origin? Even if scandinavian language kept on the 'koine'?

This paper was definitely a good haul for Haplogroup I1, lots of subclades (Z59, Z140, Z73, etc) no matter how lacking in depth they may have been. Certainly one of the more interesting pieces (at least to me, Orkney & Shetland are fascinating to me) was the Pictish population of Orkney adopting Scandinavian culture and going "Viking".

I found the article interesting as I am H1bb from my 3x gt grandmother from the Isle of Skye Scotland - and there were 2 mentions of H1b and 2 of H1bb in the list. The map of Viking activity was also very helpful.

A total lack of I1-Z63. I'm in the Z63 research group on FTDNA/FaceBook and I think the emerging consensus is that most of the Z63 in modern Scandinavia was due to more recent migrations.

As for the talk of Wends, etc and the Saxons/English:

There are many wendish place names in the old Saxon kingdoms of southern England. The Saxons and Angles were each the largest group and leader of large conglomerations of Germanic tribes. I believe it's entirely reasonable that some of their migration included individuals just to the east of the Saxon lands in Germany, meaning over to Pomerania and western Poland, which were ethnically Germanic at that time (before Slavic expansion). The earliest historical sample of Z63 is from the Wielbark culture closely contemporary to the Anglo-Saxon migrations to Britain.

A total lack of I1-Z63. I'm in the Z63 research group on FTDNA/FaceBook and I think the emerging consensus is that most of the Z63 in modern Scandinavia was due to more recent migrations.

As for the talk of Wends, etc and the Saxons/English:

There are many wendish place names in the old Saxon kingdoms of southern England. The Saxons and Angles were each the largest group and leader of large conglomerations of Germanic tribes. I believe it's entirely reasonable that some of their migration included individuals just to the east of the Saxon lands in Germany, meaning over to Pomerania and western Poland, which were ethnically Germanic at that time (before Slavic expansion). The earliest historical sample of Z63 is from the Wielbark culture closely contemporary to the Anglo-Saxon migrations to Britain.
Maybe not emerging consensus about recent Z63 in Scandinavia but certainly plenty of anecdotal evidence.

Here's a link about Rugians and Wends in England:

https://www.wilcuma.org.uk/who-are-the-anglo-saxons/rugians-wends-tribal-slavonic-settlers/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Reading the link, and regarding the name of county of 'Wiltshire' as coming from a people of the Wiltsaetas.

It actually is believed to of came from, either the place/farm on the river Wylye, ie later village of Wilton, or the tun near the Willows the Willow- Tun, on the river Wylye ( meaning- an Anglo-Saxon settlement near the willows ) hence todays village of Wilton, whereby Wiltshire is derived from.

It has nothing to do with a Slavic tribe from the Baltic, in my opinion.

This thread has been viewed 30615 times.

Back