Urnfield culture and R-Z93

Oh dear Lord, R1a-Z93 has nothing to do with the Urnfield culture! Urnfield culture was proto-Celtic, mostly R1b-U152 and R1b-U106 with western R1a minority clades R1a-L664 and R1a-M458.

Of course not proto-Celtic but probably Tyrrhenian.

Oh dear Lord, R1a-Z93 has nothing to do with the Urnfield culture! Urnfield culture was proto-Celtic, mostly R1b-U152 and R1b-U106 with western R1a minority clades R1a-L664 and R1a-M458.
Where did these calls come from, including your own? The only one I'm aware of is R1a1a1b1a, which at least fits OK with the autosomal data.

How do we know these people weren't initially Indo-Iranians themselves?

Their SNPs could have been present in both the Steppe and the Middle East - their bearers were not the kind of people whose extended family parked themselves in one single spot over many generations. They probably would have moved around, and with horses could have done so very quickly.

We know related people were in the Southern Urals - although phylogenically, they also fit with the Caucasus/Caspian; and all four closely-related Russian samples given by yfull are scattered across a wide area West of the Urals (Western Pontic Steppe, Eastern Pontic Steppe, Caspian Steppe and the North Caucasus).

Autosomally, Urnfield gives us a further clue, because its best fit appears to have no Middle Eastern contribution and a very slender (3% or so) contribution from the Urals (Sintashta/Meshovskaya). Its other contributors fit best with Vucedol mixed with some Lithuanian Corded Ware, so it looks to me like a Northern people (Baltic States to Urals) who migrated South West and paternally dominated a Central European population.
Thank you for the information. If there was this very limited admixture between Iranian-like populations and the Urnfield culture peoples the haplogrous I posted above are the best candidates because they are the most western clades of R-Z93. According to the site YP1269 seems to be connected with Proto-Celts of Central Europe and the YP4768 seems to be connected with the eastern Hallstatt Thracian culture.

Thank you for the information. If there was this very limited admixture between Iranian-like populations and the Urnfield culture peoples the haplogrous I posted above are the best candidates because they are the most western clades of R-Z93. According to the site YP1269 seems to be connected with Proto-Celts of Central Europe and the YP4768 seems to be connected with the eastern Hallstatt Thracian culture.
Have YP1269 and YP4768 been found on archaeological Urnfield samples, or is this just imputation? I couldn't find my way around the website very easily.

In 700 BC this haplogroup existed not only in Ukraine but also England, Scotland and Spain: https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-YP4768/ Scytho-Cimmerians didn't live there, I think it relates to Celtic people.

The flags you see on YFull are of MODERN individuals who've submitted their BAM files to YFull for analysis. These are not samples of ancient individuals.

This thread has been viewed 12929 times.

Back