Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: FTDNA and 23andme results contradict GEDMATCH calculators - What am I missing?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    04-07-11
    Posts
    50
    Points
    8,075
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,075, Level: 26
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - Z2110
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H28a

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Greece



    FTDNA and 23andme results contradict GEDMATCH calculators - What am I missing?

    Evening folks

    I have used FTDNA before and recently got my 23andme results too. Up until this point everything makes sense, I seem to be more or less your typical Greek Mediterranean.
    hWH40XK.jpg
    W5Cw0YW.jpg FTDNA: 97% Mediterranean and the remaining 3% from here and there.
    HZEvqCq.jpg A similar picture with 23andme, providing more regional detail this time. It seems to be pretty accurate. I trace my paternal origins in Peloponisos (southern Arcadia region) and the Italian percentage can be explained, due to the affinity between Greece and southern Italy and the fact that my maternal great-grandmother was from Friuli, in north Italy.

    Jb125OE.jpg xtfMveO.jpg
    A few days ago I uploaded my raw data on the GEDMATCH page for the first time. Following the advice I found online from more experience users, I tried two of the most "popular" calculators. Here is where the mystery starts: Where does the relatively high percentage of North Atlantic, Baltic, West Med in K13 and West European, East European in V3 come from?

    Eurogenes K13
    Population
    North_Atlantic 18.04 Pct
    Baltic 17.61 Pct
    West_Med 20.96 Pct
    West_Asian 12.15 Pct
    East_Med 24.14 Pct
    Red_Sea 4.59 Pct
    South_Asian -
    East_Asian -
    Siberian 2.08 Pct
    Amerindian -
    Oceanian -
    Northeast_African -
    Sub-Saharan 0.44 Pct
    Dodecad V3
    Population
    East_European 12.39 Pct
    West_European 21.14 Pct
    Mediterranean 34.73 Pct
    Neo_African -
    West_Asian 21.83 Pct
    South_Asian -
    Northeast_Asian 1.53 Pct
    Southeast_Asian -
    East_African -
    Southwest_Asian 6.18 Pct
    Northwest_African 2.20 Pct
    Palaeo_African -

    According to the FTDNA and 23andme breakdown, these elements should not be there. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    14-02-17
    Posts
    78
    Points
    3,215
    Level
    16
    Points: 3,215, Level: 16
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Country: United States



    Results seem pretty normal for a continental Greek.
    What is that you find unusual?
    Also check your closest non-Greek matches and your "shared" matches and their ancestry breakdown. May reveal some more recent genetic input.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-06-18
    Posts
    418
    Points
    6,720
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,720, Level: 24
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 17.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Thracian
    Country: Greece



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kostop View Post
    Evening folks

    I have used FTDNA before and recently got my 23andme results too. Up until this point everything makes sense, I seem to be more or less your typical Greek Mediterranean.
    hWH40XK.jpg
    W5Cw0YW.jpg FTDNA: 97% Mediterranean and the remaining 3% from here and there.
    HZEvqCq.jpg A similar picture with 23andme, providing more regional detail this time. It seems to be pretty accurate. I trace my paternal origins in Peloponisos (southern Arcadia region) and the Italian percentage can be explained, due to the affinity between Greece and southern Italy and the fact that my maternal great-grandmother was from Friuli, in north Italy.

    Jb125OE.jpg xtfMveO.jpg
    A few days ago I uploaded my raw data on the GEDMATCH page for the first time. Following the advice I found online from more experience users, I tried two of the most "popular" calculators. Here is where the mystery starts: Where does the relatively high percentage of North Atlantic, Baltic, West Med in K13 and West European, East European in V3 come from?

    Eurogenes K13
    Population
    North_Atlantic 18.04 Pct
    Baltic 17.61 Pct
    West_Med 20.96 Pct
    West_Asian 12.15 Pct
    East_Med 24.14 Pct
    Red_Sea 4.59 Pct
    South_Asian -
    East_Asian -
    Siberian 2.08 Pct
    Amerindian -
    Oceanian -
    Northeast_African -
    Sub-Saharan 0.44 Pct
    Dodecad V3
    Population
    East_European 12.39 Pct
    West_European 21.14 Pct
    Mediterranean 34.73 Pct
    Neo_African -
    West_Asian 21.83 Pct
    South_Asian -
    Northeast_Asian 1.53 Pct
    Southeast_Asian -
    East_African -
    Southwest_Asian 6.18 Pct
    Northwest_African 2.20 Pct
    Palaeo_African -

    According to the FTDNA and 23andme breakdown, these elements should not be there. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks
    Nah, those K13 percentages are for broad areas. If you look at your single population oracle that should tell you who you're closest to.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    04-07-11
    Posts
    50
    Points
    8,075
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,075, Level: 26
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - Z2110
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H28a

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by td120 View Post
    Results seem pretty normal for a continental Greek.
    What is that you find unusual?
    It is the Baltic and North Atlantic element that I cannot explain. It is not present at all in my FTDNA - 23andme results, neither is it supported by what I know about my family's origins. I am not aware of any roots north of the Alps.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    04-07-11
    Posts
    50
    Points
    8,075
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,075, Level: 26
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - Z2110
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H28a

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    Nah, those K13 percentages are for broad areas. If you look at your single population oracle that should tell you who you're closest to.
    Should I narrow down the search to the Greek subset and run the calculator? Will try it, thanks.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    14-02-17
    Posts
    78
    Points
    3,215
    Level
    16
    Points: 3,215, Level: 16
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kostop View Post
    It is the Baltic and North Atlantic element that I cannot explain. It is not present at all in my FTDNA - 23andme results, neither is it supported by what I know about my family's origins. I am not aware of any roots north of the Alps.
    You'd be surprised when you see the spreadsheet with the averages (click on "spreadsheet" button on the results page) :
    Here are some avgs. for Greeks on k13 (North_Atlantic and Baltic resp.) :
    Central_Greek 16.86 10.36
    Greek_Thessaly 19.12 16.32
    Cyprian 5.67 2.81

    That's just how the calculator is set up. Do not look for ancestry...take it as genetic similarities and play some more with the calculators there and look up the spreadsheets for reference.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-06-18
    Posts
    418
    Points
    6,720
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,720, Level: 24
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 17.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Thracian
    Country: Greece



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kostop View Post
    It is the Baltic and North Atlantic element that I cannot explain. It is not present at all in my FTDNA - 23andme results, neither is it supported by what I know about my family's origins. I am not aware of any roots north of the Alps.
    Those percentages are not percentages of your ancestry from the different areas, they are percentages of how much of your DNA is similar to the the Baltic and North Atlantic. At some point you and those populations share a common ancestor. It could be 5000 years ago or even further back

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •