FTDNA and 23andme results contradict GEDMATCH calculators - What am I missing?

kostop

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Greek
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - Z2110
mtDNA haplogroup
H28a
Evening folks

I have used FTDNA before and recently got my 23andme results too. Up until this point everything makes sense, I seem to be more or less your typical Greek Mediterranean.
hWH40XK.jpg
W5Cw0YW.jpg FTDNA: 97% Mediterranean and the remaining 3% from here and there.
HZEvqCq.jpg A similar picture with 23andme, providing more regional detail this time. It seems to be pretty accurate. I trace my paternal origins in Peloponisos (southern Arcadia region) and the Italian percentage can be explained, due to the affinity between Greece and southern Italy and the fact that my maternal great-grandmother was from Friuli, in north Italy.

Jb125OE.jpg xtfMveO.jpg
A few days ago I uploaded my raw data on the GEDMATCH page for the first time. Following the advice I found online from more experience users, I tried two of the most "popular" calculators. Here is where the mystery starts: Where does the relatively high percentage of North Atlantic, Baltic, West Med in K13 and West European, East European in V3 come from?

Eurogenes K13
Population
North_Atlantic18.04 Pct
Baltic17.61 Pct
West_Med20.96 Pct
West_Asian12.15 Pct
East_Med24.14 Pct
Red_Sea4.59 Pct
South_Asian-
East_Asian-
Siberian2.08 Pct
Amerindian-
Oceanian-
Northeast_African-
Sub-Saharan0.44 Pct
Dodecad V3
Population
East_European12.39 Pct
West_European21.14 Pct
Mediterranean34.73 Pct
Neo_African-
West_Asian21.83 Pct
South_Asian-
Northeast_Asian1.53 Pct
Southeast_Asian-
East_African-
Southwest_Asian6.18 Pct
Northwest_African2.20 Pct
Palaeo_African-

According to the FTDNA and 23andme breakdown, these elements should not be there. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Results seem pretty normal for a continental Greek.
What is that you find unusual?
Also check your closest non-Greek matches and your "shared" matches and their ancestry breakdown. May reveal some more recent genetic input.

Evening folks

I have used FTDNA before and recently got my 23andme results too. Up until this point everything makes sense, I seem to be more or less your typical Greek Mediterranean.
View attachment 11244
View attachment 11240 FTDNA: 97% Mediterranean and the remaining 3% from here and there.
View attachment 11241 A similar picture with 23andme, providing more regional detail this time. It seems to be pretty accurate. I trace my paternal origins in Peloponisos (southern Arcadia region) and the Italian percentage can be explained, due to the affinity between Greece and southern Italy and the fact that my maternal great-grandmother was from Friuli, in north Italy.

View attachment 11242 View attachment 11243
A few days ago I uploaded my raw data on the GEDMATCH page for the first time. Following the advice I found online from more experience users, I tried two of the most "popular" calculators. Here is where the mystery starts: Where does the relatively high percentage of North Atlantic, Baltic, West Med in K13 and West European, East European in V3 come from?

Eurogenes K13
Population
North_Atlantic18.04 Pct
Baltic17.61 Pct
West_Med20.96 Pct
West_Asian12.15 Pct
East_Med24.14 Pct
Red_Sea4.59 Pct
South_Asian-
East_Asian-
Siberian2.08 Pct
Amerindian-
Oceanian-
Northeast_African-
Sub-Saharan0.44 Pct
Dodecad V3
Population
East_European12.39 Pct
West_European21.14 Pct
Mediterranean34.73 Pct
Neo_African-
West_Asian21.83 Pct
South_Asian-
Northeast_Asian1.53 Pct
Southeast_Asian-
East_African-
Southwest_Asian6.18 Pct
Northwest_African2.20 Pct
Palaeo_African-

According to the FTDNA and 23andme breakdown, these elements should not be there. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Nah, those K13 percentages are for broad areas. If you look at your single population oracle that should tell you who you're closest to.

Results seem pretty normal for a continental Greek.
What is that you find unusual?

It is the Baltic and North Atlantic element that I cannot explain. It is not present at all in my FTDNA - 23andme results, neither is it supported by what I know about my family's origins. I am not aware of any roots north of the Alps.

Nah, those K13 percentages are for broad areas. If you look at your single population oracle that should tell you who you're closest to.

Should I narrow down the search to the Greek subset and run the calculator? Will try it, thanks.

It is the Baltic and North Atlantic element that I cannot explain. It is not present at all in my FTDNA - 23andme results, neither is it supported by what I know about my family's origins. I am not aware of any roots north of the Alps.

You'd be surprised when you see the spreadsheet with the averages (click on "spreadsheet" button on the results page) :
Here are some avgs. for Greeks on k13 (North_Atlantic and Baltic resp.) :
Central_Greek16.8610.36

Greek_Thessaly19.1216.32
Cyprian5.672.81

That's just how the calculator is set up. Do not look for ancestry...take it as genetic similarities and play some more with the calculators there and look up the spreadsheets for reference.

Those percentages are not percentages of your ancestry from the different areas, they are percentages of how much of your DNA is similar to the the Baltic and North Atlantic. At some point you and those populations share a common ancestor. It could be 5000 years ago or even further back

This thread has been viewed 6117 times.

Back