I-M227, rare?

M

Mir

Hello everyone.

Today I received my DNA test and I have a rare haplogroup relative to my country of origin (Bosnia-Hercegovina), which is i1 (I-M227). I found it very interesting. It seems that this particular subclade is especially rare, and I would love for more information on it from those of you who have it at your disposal. It seems to be spread around central-north-east Europe quite a bit.

Hello everyone.

Today I received my DNA test and I have a rare haplogroup relative to my country of origin (Bosnia-Hercegovina), which is i1 (I-M227). I found it very interesting. It seems that this particular subclade is especially rare, and I would love for more information on it from those of you who have it at your disposal. It seems to be spread around central-north-east Europe quite a bit.

Nice to see another I1 member!

Not as rare as it used to be: https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-M227/, but still somewhat "rare". I-M227 is downstream of Z2336 and thus DF29, DF29 is the most common branch of I-M253 and likely formed in Northern Europe somewhere. Perhaps you ancestor came to Bosnia-Hercegovinia with Germanic migrations? Perhaps Goths, Gepids, Herules, etc?

Nice to see another I1 member!

Not as rare as it used to be: [link deleted due to post count], but still somewhat "rare". I-M227 is downstream of Z2336 and thus DF29, DF29 is the most common branch of I-M253 and likely formed in Northern Europe somewhere. Perhaps you ancestor came to Bosnia-Hercegovinia with Germanic migrations? Perhaps Goths, Gepids, Herules, etc?
That's probably likely, and it would be very interesting to find more about. But since my autosomal shows a lot around Poland/Baltic areas, I suppose it indeed came from some Germanic group there. There actually were Goths in Bosnia prior to/alongside Slavs; in fact some people theorize that we are predominantly of Gothic origin and that our Medieval Christian faith had Gothic elements in it (Arianism?). Whatever the case may be, this is all really interesting and there are many possibilities!

The Viking DNA paper found an individual who belongs to I-M227:

"VK50 Gotland_Kopparsvik-53.64 was reported I1a1a1a1a (corresponds to I-M227) in preprint"

VK50 is an individual from a Viking Age grave area ranging from 800 to 1150 AD on the Swedish island of Gotland. His maternal haplogroup was reported as H1+16189. His ancestry is estimated as 77.8% Swedish-like and 17.9% Finnish-like, with the rest being trace amounts.

The Viking DNA paper found an individual who belongs to I-M227:

"VK50 Gotland_Kopparsvik-53.64 was reported I1a1a1a1a (corresponds to I-M227) in preprint"

VK50 is an individual from a Viking Age grave area ranging from 800 to 1150 AD on the Swedish island of Gotland. His maternal haplogroup was reported as H1+16189. His ancestry is estimated as 77.8% Swedish-like and 17.9% Finnish-like, with the rest being trace amounts.
I have seen that myself recently! Absolutely fascinating. The haplogroup seems to be native to the coastal lines of the Baltic Sea. It seems like if I traced my fatherline, I would find some very interesting things. On Gedmatch I actually had a lot of approximately 5th cousins from all over northwestern Europe, even have 5.2 Irish/Scottish autosomal according to Living DNA, so there are some cool possibilities here!

Hi Mir,
I know they banned you, but if you still read the forum, please contact me on m227project(at)gmail.com to chat about your M227 result. Thank you!

This thread has been viewed 6436 times.

Back