I1 M253 and surnames especially Scots or Irish names

McLe

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-M253
Hello,
I am brand new to this site today:). I'd like to know more about now my Y-dna haplogroup results related to surnames, and to hear from others, whether you have any I1 haplogroup and a Scots/Irish surname, whether your group is specifically M253 or not. Have you had a learning curve, over months or years about this subject? Have you been able to trace possible male line ancestor timelines from Scandinavia to the British Isles or Ireland during a specific time of the Middle Ages/Viking Age? Using experts?

Hello,
I am brand new to this site today:). I'd like to know more about now my Y-dna haplogroup results related to surnames, and to hear from others, whether you have any I1 haplogroup and a Scots/Irish surname, whether your group is specifically M253 or not. Have you had a learning curve, over months or years about this subject? Have you been able to trace possible male line ancestor timelines from Scandinavia to the British Isles or Ireland during a specific time of the Middle Ages/Viking Age? Using experts?
I am from Bosnia and I have I-M227 (subclade of M253), and it's interesting that my autosomal results showed about 95% Eastern Europe and 5% Irish/Scottish! It's a leap from the Western end of Europe to my general Eastern, and I wonder if my haplogroup could possibly come from that part! I think it's more likely it came with Goths though, but not sure.

Hello,

Hello and welcome!

I belong to a branch of I-M253, specifically a branch under Y7198 (Y3647 on Eupedia's phylogeny tree) and I have a Gaelic surname from Scotland. I've not yet been able to trace any specific ancestor to Scandinavia or to the Middle Age/Viking Age on my paternal line, my paper trail seems to end at some point in the 1700s in Scotland. There has been a learning curve over the past few years while researching both my genealogy, history of Europe and genetics of various populations.

Thanks to next generation sequencing (testing many SNPs) the human phylogenetic tree has grown and improved over time and this allows us some access to more reliable TMRCA calculations (compared to the older STR-based TMRCA calculations). So far most people seem to use TMRCA calculations to help give them an idea of when their Y-DNA branch formed and where it might have formed to perhaps inform one as to whether their lineage is part of the Migration Period movements of various tribes or of the later movements of Scandinavians in the Viking Age.

This thread has been viewed 5289 times.

Back