bigsnake49

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Thracian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7558 (LDNA)
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1b
On FTDNA I have a match with a total of 60cM with the longest cM of 13. As far as I know, no relative of mine has lived in Italy. They have done their family tree and have traced an ancestor with Greek Cretan roots from the 1400s that went to Italy with the Venetians when they were withdrawing from Crete. To me it sounds too much shared cM for a potential common ancestor from the 1400s. I am thinking that there has been some more recent hanky panky. What do you guys think? Could it be a test screwup?

On FTDNA I have a match with a total of 60cM with the longest cM of 13. As far as I know, no relative of mine has lived in Italy. They have done their family tree and have traced an ancestor with Greek Cretan roots from the 1400s that went to Italy with the Venetians when they were withdrawing from Crete. To me it sounds too much shared cM for a potential common ancestor from the 1400s. I am thinking that there has been some more recent hanky panky. What do you guys think? Could it be a test screwup?

That's too large for the 1400s, imo. I haven't used FTDNA, but from what I remember when I used to be active on 23andme forums, the feeling was that a lot of these supposed IBD matches found by commercial testing companies are just mislabeled general autosomal similarity.

I have one of these odd matches too; in my case it's with a Danish family. It's probably some shared general ancestry, or the other option is that someone related to me went to Denmark and had descendants there.

The greeks from crete who went with francesco morisini circa 1680 where all taken to the venetian ionion islands... none went to venice......though maybe corfu was where some transferred to once they reached the ionion islands

The greeks from crete who went with francesco morisini circa 1680 where all taken to the venetian ionion islands... none went to venice......though maybe corfu was where some transferred to once they reached the ionion islands
Well my match said that the ancestors stopped in kerkyra/corfu before continuing on to Italy. The only other option was that an ancestor had a kid they either did not know about or did not want to know about. The fun will be to find out who it was. Maybe my first cousin that settled in Germany in the 60s?

That's too large for the 1400s, imo. I haven't used FTDNA, but from what I remember when I used to be active on 23andme forums, the feeling was that a lot of these supposed IBD matches found by commercial testing companies are just mislabeled general autosomal similarity.

I have one of these odd matches too; in my case it's with a Danish family. It's probably some shared general ancestry, or the other option is that someone related to me went to Denmark and had descendants there.

Well, there are some genuine/verified matches on my mother's side. They all came from the town where my mother came from. So I won't discount it altogether.

Well, there are some genuine/verified matches on my mother's side. They all came from the town where my mother came from. So I won't discount it altogether.

All I'm saying is that if it is real IBD, then it doesn't come from so long ago. There must be a more recent explanation.

In my own case, for example, it's not possible that such a big chunk of dna matching that of a modern Danish person comes from the time of the Langobard migrations. I know I have no Danes in my recent ancestry, so if it is real, i.e. not general autosomal similarity, then perhaps some relative of mine had progeny in Denmark.

On MyHeritage.com, I have a 3rd to 5th cousin match with a father/son/daughter from Sweden and I have no idea who they are. They do look quite well off though. (I googled them ha) . Not sure how valid that match is though but I share at least 25cm with her and her father and have several "triangulated matches" as well.

I have quite a few matches in western Norway & Denmark but that's to be expected due to my family links in that region. I share a 50cm match with a woman in Germany, and we both share a match with someone from Russia and the Ukraine, which I do not know how to explain.

Guys, check this out (abt. IBD, IBS and IBC) - brief but clarifying:
https://blog.kittycooper.com/2014/10/when-is-a-dna-segment-match-a-real-match-ibd-or-ibs-or-ibc/

If your parents haven't tested and so your data was not phased, then you could try triangulation, if possible, as proposed by the article above.

My Italian cousin and I share 60cM in total but the largest segment is 13cM on FTDNA. There is also another another that is 44cM total with a largest segment of 19cM, a 35 and 14, a 34 and 14 and a 26 and 17. All non-Greeks by surname (although usually I find a Greek name in their tree if they have one). Maybe I should contact them to see if there is a Greek somewhere in their ancestry. According to the last paragraph of that article they are all most likely IBD.

This thread has been viewed 8050 times.

Back