W3 mtDNA

M

Mir

I have the W3 mtDNA, and apparently "W" in general is most strongly associated wth indo-europeans of all the mtDNA haplogroups. It's the equivalent of R1a/b on the mtDNA side.

I took the Living DNA test and it doesn't tell me which particular subclade of W3 I belong to. Apparently, some W3 were found among Germanic and Yamnaya skeletons, so maybe it is associated with those.

Is there any site I can put my Living DNA mtDNA snp's in to see the specific subclade? I have tried the dna.jameslick(dotcom) (can't post links yet :p) but it doesn't show further than W3. Maybe Living DNA doesn't check the W mtDNA too deep at the moment?

Ftdna sells full Mtdna sequence tests, and has a "W haplogroup" project, where the admins and members share a lot of interesting info about W and all its subclades. They have a database of users, and help fitting you in the appropriate subclade. Ftdna defines my Mtdna as W3a1, but the admins of the project have refined my results, so I'm now W3a1+G1709A/C10845T. It's quite a lonely group… I only have 4 exact matches for now, mostly from Eastern Europe/Russia.

Ftdna sells full Mtdna sequence tests, and has a "W haplogroup" project, where the admins and members share a lot of interesting info about W and all its subclades. They have a database of users, and help fitting you in the appropriate subclade. Ftdna defines my Mtdna as W3a1, but the admins of the project have refined my results, so I'm now W3a1+G1709A/C10845T. It's quite a lonely group… I only have 4 exact matches for now, mostly from Eastern Europe/Russia.
Thanks! Their price is very expensive just for mtDNA though. Might take it sometime in the future. But from what I have read about haplogroup W, it seems to be heavily linked to ancient indo-europeans. It appears in the higher casters in northern India as well, which is typically associated with indo-europeans over there. And in Europe specifically, W3 seems to be present in proto-Germanic / Yamnaya burial sites. So that's probably the one you and likely I are associated with.

Quite cool!

You should take the Mtdna full sequence test to determine your subclade. Or maybe try to contact this guy: https://www.thecid.com and send him your Mtdna data, he might be able to help you.
Yes, W3 is definitely linked to Yamnaya.

This thread has been viewed 5388 times.

Back