Joey37

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celto-Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1a-YP445
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c2b
I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable people of Albanian ethnic origin here, so here goes. My Nana's paternal grandparents (my great-great-grandparents) were from Palazzo Adriano in Sicily, which was formerly (i.e., when they were there in the late 1800s-early 1900s) Albanian speaking of the Arbereshe minority in Sicily. I get 1-2% Balkan in DNA tests, could this be the result of my most recent Italian-born ancestors coming from a village with a (once) thriving Albanian minority. Their last names were Troncale (my Nana's maiden name) and Crapisi.

I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable people of Albanian ethnic origin here, so here goes. My Nana's paternal grandparents (my great-great-grandparents) were from Palazzo Adriano in Sicily, which was formerly (i.e., when they were there in the late 1800s-early 1900s) Albanian speaking of the Arbereshe minority in Sicily. I get 1-2% Balkan in DNA tests, could this be the result of my most recent Italian-born ancestors coming from a village with a (once) thriving Albanian minority. Their last names were Troncale (my Nana's maiden name) and Crapisi.

Or it could be noise. On the other hand it could be that back in the 1400 there might have been an ancestor but their influence was diluted in subsequent generations. Can you investigate whether those haplogroups are typical for Albanians?

This thread has been viewed 3032 times.

Back