Overall activity: 22.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-YP445
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c2b

Ethnic group
    Celto-Germanic

Arbereshe ancestors?

I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable people of Albanian ethnic origin here, so here goes. My Nana's paternal grandparents (my great-great-grandparents) were from Palazzo Adriano in Sicily, which was formerly (i.e., when they were there in the late 1800s-early 1900s) Albanian speaking of the Arbereshe minority in Sicily. I get 1-2% Balkan in DNA tests, could this be the result of my most recent Italian-born ancestors coming from a village with a (once) thriving Albanian minority. Their last names were Troncale (my Nana's maiden name) and Crapisi.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

Quote Originally Posted by Joey37 View Post
    I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable people of Albanian ethnic origin here, so here goes. My Nana's paternal grandparents (my great-great-grandparents) were from Palazzo Adriano in Sicily, which was formerly (i.e., when they were there in the late 1800s-early 1900s) Albanian speaking of the Arbereshe minority in Sicily. I get 1-2% Balkan in DNA tests, could this be the result of my most recent Italian-born ancestors coming from a village with a (once) thriving Albanian minority. Their last names were Troncale (my Nana's maiden name) and Crapisi.
    Or it could be noise. On the other hand it could be that back in the 1400 there might have been an ancestor but their influence was diluted in subsequent generations. Can you investigate whether those haplogroups are typical for Albanians?