The Proto Vikings of the North Sea Coast and I2a3 (I-L233) patrilineal ancestry

I-L233

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Mesolithic North West European
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2a3
From what I recall, the only predictions as to the origin of the I2a3 or I-L233 subclade was presented by Ken Nordvedt a few years ago. It appears this information has disappeared from the web. Nevertheless, the I-L233 subclade, according to Ken, has its origins on the North Sea Coast what is present day NW Germany and Southern Denmark. I have even seen some information pointing to its origins being among the Chauci Germanic tribes or possibly being of Frisian origin as well. Has anyone looked in to this matter further? Can we say with any certainty this information has been updated or rebutted? Thank you!

The only ancient sample positive for L233 is Spiginas1 in todays Lithuania dated circa 4340 BC. I haven't been lucky with ancient samples or dna matches. I am L233-, A8689+ or Y11949 on yfull. Mine is very central European, prior to that I belive it could have been present in the Mediterranean sea, maybe spread by pre goth tribes, during bronze age. L1287+ L233- is also rarely present among surnames of norman origin. Probably low Countries or north western proto Germanic presence.

This thread has been viewed 6517 times.

Back