Reaction score
Ethnic group
albanian & spanish
Y-DNA haplogroup
J-L283
mtDNA haplogroup
T2b
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to this world of genetics.
A few months ago I did a DNA test at MyHeritage. I had quite logical results. Then I also had this test done for my wife and my daughter. For my wife it was OK but for my daughter not. She had an ethnicity (Italian 24%) that neither me nor my wife had.
So I asked MyHeritage questions and they told me about recombination (and the Italian would be quite related to my Greeks and Southern Italians). So I could understand but I was pretty skeptical so I inquired about all the possible sites.
Everywhere he was mentioned that it was absolutely necessary to see on Gedmatch. And so I immediately tested all the Admixtures. And I see today that it stands when I compare our 3 Kits.
After all this analyzes and all the stored knowledge (but I still know far too little) I have some questions:
- Why are there so many Admixtures? Which one to choose and why?
- Is there an Admixture quoted in haplogroups (not necessarily with subclades)? (kind R1b = 35%, J2 = 25% ...) Because when we do an autosomal test we predict an etnicity but we do not give haplogroups.
- I'm holding my Y-DNA from Morley and my MTDNA from Jamesclick . Are they reliable?

For now I am only there. So I thank all those who will enlighten me as well as those who will try :)

Yuxx

Try phasing, you’ll find out how much and from whom your daughter inherited her ethnicities.
You could also get better results.

I don't know if MyHeritage does Phasing.

As an alternative, you and family could test again with 23andme, and then connect with each other to get free comprehensive Phasing, and Haplogroups.

A DNA test try to match you with the populations and places your genes are closer to, it doesn’t mean that you belong to all the Admixtures or Ethnicities.

Haplogroups don’t necessarily predict ancestry or ethnicity, just migrations.

Last edited:
Oh it’s the first Time i hear about phasing. I’ll try It next days. Thx
For the haplogroups it wasn’t for the etnicity but just by curiosity to have a hierarchy.

Ok, but, can those programs do this?

23andme “Comprehensive” Phasing showing how much Dna and Ancestry the Child inherited from the Parents:

- Left=DNA % and Ancestry inherited from Father

- Center=Child (Norf)

- Right=DNA % and Ancestry inherited from Mother

gtm1jhrk314e.jpg

Last edited:
If I don't know the capacity level of a person, I try to direct them on the easier path.

Most downloadable DNA/Ancestry programs are not user-friendly, and they require a degree of technical expertise. (Besides the fact that the Antivirus keeps blocking many of them if you don’t change permissions).

The Average User can get frustrated and give up.

Check what i posted. It has many specific functions and it is free.

thanks to all

This thread has been viewed 7318 times.

Back