Has there been any genetic study on the Sarmatians over the centuries?

bigsnake49

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Thracian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7558 (LDNA)
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1b
I am mostly interested in it because according to some sources, about 300,000-500,000 were resettled in Thrace, Macedonia and Italy in the 4th century AD and the rest were slavicized and absorbed by the Proto-Slavs. It really throws the continuity argument of a lot of Balkan ethnicities into turmoil. Those Roman and Byzantine emperors and later the Ottoman sultans really messed up the admixture of the Balkans!

I don't think they did mess up their genetics those original people still reflect on the genetics of the majority of the Balkan states that the Ottomans and Byzantines took. Forgive me sir but the Palaeolithic/Mesolithic migration of the Slavs to the Balkans was not as pre historic as other people before hand. You do realise that the Ex Yugoslavian states of the Balkans are not ''full Slavs'' in their ancestry? Yes that includes Macedonians/Thracians

And all you Balkan people forget the Celtic invasions there too

And all you Balkan people forget the Celtic invasions there too

I certainly don't. The Celts were knocking around the Balkans for couple of hundred years.

I don't think they did mess up their genetics those original people still reflect on the genetics of the majority of the Balkan states that the Ottomans and Byzantines took. Forgive me sir but the Palaeolithic/Mesolithic migration of the Slavs to the Balkans was not as pre historic as other people before hand. You do realise that the Ex Yugoslavian states of the Balkans are not ''full Slavs'' in their ancestry? Yes that includes Macedonians/Thracians

Where did you get that Slavs invaded the balkans during the Paleolitic and Mesolithic? This is the first time I have ever heard of it. The Middle Ages, yes, the Paleolithic, that's news to me.

It's news to you because it never happened. Lenab is confused...again.

As to the Sarmatians, while some were probably re-located, I wouldn't take some of the figures quoted by ancient scholars very seriously.

In this I would agree with Lenab: the people of the Balkans are not "Slavs" like the Poles. They have a lot of what used to be called "West Asian" ancestry, as even the old calculators used to show, as well as more "Med" than Poles or even Hungarians.

This thread has been viewed 3773 times.

Back