Heredity Some personality disorders are under sexual selection?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1090513815001075

"Personality variation is increasingly thought to have an adaptive function. This is less clear for personality disorders (PDs)—extreme variants of personality that cause harm in most aspects of life. However, the possibility that PDs may be maintained in the population because of their advantages for fitness has been not convincingly tested. In a sample of 959 outpatients, we examined whether, and how, sexual selection acts on the seven main dimensions of personality pathology, taking into account mating success, reproductive success, and the mediating role of status. We find that, to varying extents, all personality dimensions are under sexual selection. Far from being predominantly purifying, selective forces push traits in diverging, often pathological, directions. These pressures differ moderately between the sexes. Sexual selection largely acts in males through the acquisition of wealth, and through the duration (rather than the number) of mates. This gives a reproductive advantage to males high in persistence–compulsivity. Conversely, because of the decouplingbetween the number of mates and offspring, the promiscuous strategy of psychopaths is not so successful. Negative emotionality, the most clinically detrimental trait, is slightly deleterious in males but is positively selected in females, which can help to preserve variation. The general picture is that at least some PDs form part of high-risk alternative strategies, although a sole evolutionary mechanism is unlikely to apply to all traits. An evolutionary perspective on PDs can provide a better understanding of their nature and causes than we have achieved to date by considering them as illnesses."

I get that obsessiveness in men could lead to wealth acquisition and so sexual selection might act on it, but why is extreme emotionality selected for in women?

From what I see around me, males who are most likely to obtain some material success and reproduce are agreeable and conscientious. They may not be wildly imaginative or attractive, but they do well in college and they make suitable employees and husbands. Extremely successful men tend to be disagreeable, maybe, but I don't think extreme success leads to more offspring than moderate success in the modern world. Losers, in my experience, tend to be disagreeable and unconscientious; they do well with the girls when they're young, but they often fail in college and end up not having a career or family. In rare cases they succeed in some creative or unconventional way. I think these men are often diagnosed as having some kind of "disorder."

This thread has been viewed 2957 times.

Back