aDNA does not indicate Native American ethnicities but mtDNA is B2

Duarte

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-DF27/R-Y45921
Autosomal DNA (FTDNA and MyHeritage) does not indicate Native American ethnicities to me, but FTDNA mtDNA indicates haplogroup B2 to me. B2 is one of five mitochondrial DNA's haplogroups found among the indigenous peoples of the Americas, the others being A, C, D, and X. :unsure:

YhNw5Zq.png

P9R2b4W.png

AkmKP6g.png

jSJW9D0.png

WxExycV.png

Last edited:
Hi Duarte!
My mtDNA is A2, and in my case, MyOrigins gives me 19% Native American, while most Gedmatch calculators give me almost the same (18%). Perhaps your Native American ancestors are far away in time ...

After enough admixture, as italouruguayan says, the autosomal signature may be gone.

Elvis Presley: mtHaplogroup: B. Very interesting video. This video is offered by FTDNA to all those who take the "Full Sequence" mitochondrial test. My mtHaplogroup (B2) is frequent in the Xavante tribe (Brazilian Amazon), of macro-jê ethnicity. Although my Amerindian percentage is less than 1% on my FTDNA autosomal DNA test (aDNA <1%), the Xavantes are Botucudo Indians, as were the Maxakalí, Krenak, Aranã e Xacriabá Indians, who were victims of genocide in the region where I was born, not existing here since 1750 (mid-eighteenth century). Interestingly the video reports that the most famous person in the world who belongs to Haplogroup B is none other than one of my favorite artists: Elvis Presley.
"The Maxakalí, Krenak, Aranã and Xacriabá Indians lived in the region during the colonial period and were exterminated, leaving few traces for the population of Belo Horizonte" (Source: Portuguese Wikipedia). Also have to click the small play button in the bottom left corner of the video screen. It should work (Only in PC).

[video]https://www.familytreedna.com/mtdna-journey-videos/5d697bd5c9e77c0001663344[/video]

In case of difficulties with the link posted above, the FTDNA video can be watched at the YouTube link below:

Y-Full mtHaplotree:

DO0cccw.png

Last edited:
Elvis Presley: mtHaplogroup: B. Very interesting video. This video is offered by FTDNA to all those who take the "Full Sequence" mitochondrial test. My mtHaplogroup (B2) is frequent in the Xavante tribe (Brazilian Amazon), of macro-jê ethnicity. Although my Amerindian percentage is less than 1% on my FTDNA autosomal DNA test (aDNA <1%), the Xavantes are Botucudo Indians, as were the Maxakalí, Krenak, Aranã e Xacriabá Indians, who were victims of genocide in the region where I was born, not existing here since 1750 (mid-eighteenth century). Interestingly the video reports that the most famous person in the world who belongs to Haplogroup B is none other than one of my favorite artists: Elvis Presley.
"The Maxakalí, Krenak, Aranã and Xacriabá Indians lived in the region during the colonial period and were exterminated, leaving few traces for the population of Belo Horizonte" (Source: Portuguese Wikipedia). Also have to click the small play button in the bottom left corner of the video screen. It should work (Only in PC).

[video]https://www.familytreedna.com/mtdna-journey-videos/5d697bd5c9e77c0001663344[/video]

In case of difficulties with the link posted above, the FTDNA video can be watched at the YouTube link below:

Y-Full mtHaplotree:

DO0cccw.png

:cool-v: You and Elvis are obviously Related :)

... to the Ancestral Maternal line of the Magnificent People:

:cool-v: You and Elvis are obviously Related :)

... to the Ancestral Maternal line of the Magnificent People:

Wonderful video, Salento. Magnificent tribute to the indigenous peoples :)

my gut feeling is that your B2 is from Iberia. My son's girlfriend is 50% new world and she scores 23% Iberian.

Y-Full mtHaplotree:
DO0cccw.png
Pretty cool, Duarte!
And I didn't know Elvis had B2. Very interesting!

Pretty cool, Duarte!
And I didn't know Elvis had B2. Very interesting!
Thank you Regio. I was also surprised by the revelation. The King of rock, like me, has a very ancient indigenous ancestral great-grandmother. Very cool.

I could be wrong @digital_noise, just a thought I had while reading the post...:rolleyes:

I strongly believe that my haplogroup B is Native American and came from a very old female indigenous ancestor who lived in the Jesuit Missions Region in Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina (16th and 17th centuries).
However, I found this very interesting article by Maciamo here in Eupedia talking about the presence of altaic mtDNA in European populations, including the typically native American mtHaplogroups A, B, C and D.
Among several interesting considerations, says Maciamo that Catalonia possess mtHaplogroup A and C, Vendée mtHaplogroup B. mtHaplogroup B has been found in the Rhône valley of France, a region also known for being a hotspot of Y-haplogroup Q with possible Hunnic connection.
Altaic people such as the Turks and Kurds possess mostly mtDNA B, C and G.
I believe it is worth reading:

I have created a map showing the distribution of East & North Asian (Mongoloid) mtDNA haplogroups in Europe and the Middle East. This includes haplogroups A, B, C, D, E, F, G, M7, M8, Y and Z.

ANALYSIS:

Western Europe

Western Europe has the lowest percentage of East Asian haplogroups, with an average of 0.3%. No country has 0%, but the current data shows that Basques and Cantabrians have 0%. It is not surprising that Western Europeans should have less North/East Asian mtDNA than Central or East Europeans since they are geographically furthest from Asia. R1b men came from the Middle East before becoming Indo-European speakers in the Pontic Steppe and invading Europe. This isn't the case of R1a people who already had some Mongoloid mtDNA (and physical feature based on archaeology) in the Pontic-Caspian Steppe at least since the Neolithic, but more probably since the Palaeolithic.

What piqued my interest is the slightly elevated percentage of East Asian lineages in Catalonia, Vendée and Cornwall. These regions were already special within Western Europe for having fairly high levels of U4, a lineage with strong affinities with Eastern Europe and the Volga-Ural region. Catalonia also has a lot of hg U5, V and W, all very common in Northeast Europe. The Asian haplogroups differ between these three regions though. Catalonia possess hg A and C, Vendée hg B and F, while Cornwall has only hg F. Haplogroup F has also been found at relatively high frequency (8.3%) on the island of Hvar in Croatia, a known hotspot for Y-haplogroup Q (6.1%). MtDNA F is found almost exclusively in East Asia, and to a lower extent to places settled by the Mongols. The association with Q in Hvar is surely a sign that some Huns or Mongols settled on this island. It is less clear how it ended up in Cornwall and Western France.

Haplogroup B has been found in the Rhône valley of France, a region also known for being a hotspot of Y-haplogroup Q with possible Hunnic connection.

Haplogroups D and G have been found in Austria.

Boattini et al. (2013) found in total 2.4% of hg A, C, D and M in Sicily. However the study by Brisighelli et al. didn't find any of these. It is difficult to guess how these Asian lineages ended up in Sicily, since there is hardly any East Asian mtDNA in Italy, Greece or North Africa.

Northeast Europe

In Fennoscandia, Asian mtDNA peaks among the Finnish Saami (up to 15%). The Saami carry mostly haplogroups D5 and Z.

Slavic populations carry mostly haplogroup C, a lineage already found in Neolithic Ukraine and Hungary, and therefore represents some of the oldest Mongoloid admixture among Europeans. I have hypothesised that mtDNA C (alongside U and X) was one of the original lineages of Y-haplogroups P, Q and R when these haplogroups appear in Central or North Asia around the Last Glacial Maximum.

Russia obviously has the greatest diversity of North/East Asian mtDNA. Haplogroups A, C, D, G2a and Z have all been found among European Russians. Interestingly I haven't found any study mentioning haplogroups B and F in Russia yet.

The detailed study on Belarus by Kushniarevich et al. 2013 found haplogroups C*, C5, D4b1, G and M10a1 among the Asian lineages.

Middle East and Caucasus

Altaic people such as the Turks and Kurds possess mostly mtDNA B, C and G.

The picture is far more complex in the Caucasus and Caspian region. The Kalmyks and Nogays are the most Asian ethnicity in the region and possess all the major North/East Asian haplogroups except E, which seem to be absent from Europe and the Middle East altogether. The Nogays also seem to lack hg Y.

Haplogroup A, B, F and Z are quite rare in the Caucasus. The most common Mongoloid lineages are C (peaking among the Abkhazians, Cherkessians and Kabardin) and D (found in all Caucasian populations except the Armenians, Avars, Dargins, Andis, Bagvalals and Chamalals). Haplogroup G is found mostly in the Northwest Caucasus and among the Kumyks and Nogays.

Is it possible that bronze smelting was invented by G-L497 members of the Danube region near Romania/Ukraine and that the PIE.

@Duarte
Interesting! Well, the odds are it's one of our Native Americans mtDNAs, which represents between 30-40% of the hgs in Brazil, if my memory serves, while another good chunk is European and Sub-Saharan. I couldn't find Iberian B2 in GenBank neither in YFull, but supposedly there would be some from Spain in FTDNA.
http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_by_group/b2_genbank_sequences.htm (Let's see if we find some of your extra mutations in here; I'll send you a message about it.)

https://yfull.com/mtree/b2/

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/mt-dna-haplotree/B;name=B2

But in theory some B2 could be from Iberia as well. Whereas some Central Asian mtDNAs in parts of Spain could be related to a more Northern route, I wonder if the supposed Portuguese B2 s are related to a Southern one, like the following (in the hypothesis the map is accurate):
turkic-invasions-and-slavery-since-700-bc.jpg

https://www.quora.com/Did-the-Ottomans-conquer-Morocco

Of course, this is highly speculative. It's just that few time ago I saw a Brazilian with haplogroup G1, pretty uncommon in Portugal, as G2a1 (most of Portuguese G men are G2a2). A man who has patrilineal ancestry from West Azerbaijan and this Brazilian (patrilineal ancestry from Portugal) form a branch with TMRCA of 4000 ybp, so it seems possible the hg was absorbed at some point in the way from Asia to West Europe, more recently. More samples will provide further clues on this.
I believe the development of mtDNA tree will also help you to figure out the origin of your (so far unknown) subclade.

Is it possible that bronze smelting was invented by G-L497 members of the Danube region near Romania/Ukraine and that the PIE.

Amzallag would disagree.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/20627616?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

If you're thinking of that foil, the dating is in dispute.

Also, it would be odd given that most of Europe entered the Bronze Age so much later than the Near East.

Regardless, this is off topic. If you wish to pursue it, post in a metallurgy thread.

Thank you Regio. Thank you Angela. Thanks everybody.
I am pleased that FTDNA points me to the terminal haplogroup mtDNA B2, the same as the Xavante Indians I admire so much.
I voted for Chief Xavante Raoni in a petition requesting his nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize in reason of his peaceful struggle for the peoples of the Amazon rainforest and the preservation of this wonderful ecosystem.
It is an honor for me that FTDNA has defined B2 as my terminal haplogroup mtDNA, the same as Chief Raoni's.
But, as Regio said, my subclade is unknown, so much so that Y-Full declares it "new" and its "nomenclature" has been changed 4 times since I uploaded the FASTA FTDNA file to mtHaplotree Y-Full.
I consider the mtHaplogroup assigned to me by Y-Full - B2h1b2a - to be speculative, for now.
Understanding the definition offered by the "FTDNA mtHaplogroup Full Sequence" as the exact - B or B2.
Obviously I would not be surprised at mtHaplogroup B if my autosomal tests indicated an indigenous ancestry equal to or greater than 5% and not "zero" as in most cases or <1% in case of FTDNA.
That was, even, the reason I created this topic.
It's been great, because with the help of the Eupedia members the lights will come on and guide me to the end of the tunnel.
Maciamo's article brought more fuel to the discussions. It was great.
I appreciate the effort of all who are here trying to help me :)

Thank you Regio. Thank you Angela. Thanks everybody.
I am pleased that FTDNA points me to the terminal haplogroup mtDNA B2, the same as the Xavante Indians I admire so much.
I voted for Chief Xavante Raoni in a petition requesting his nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize in reason of his peaceful struggle for the peoples of the Amazon rainforest and the preservation of this wonderful ecosystem.
It is an honor for me that FTDNA has defined B2 as my terminal haplogroup mtDNA, the same as Chief Raoni's.
But, as Regio said, my subclade is unknown, so much so that Y-Full declares it "new" and its "nomenclature" has been changed 4 times since I uploaded the FASTA FTDNA file to mtHaplotree Y-Full.
I consider the mtHaplogroup assigned to me by Y-Full - B2h1b2a - to be speculative, for now.
Understanding the definition offered by the "FTDNA mtHaplogroup Full Sequence" as the exact - B or B2.
Obviously I would not be surprised at mtHaplogroup B if my autosomal tests indicated an indigenous ancestry equal to or greater than 5% and not "zero" as in most cases or <1% in case of FTDNA.
That was, even, the reason I created this topic.
It's been great, because with the help of the Eupedia members the lights will come on and guide me to the end of the tunnel.
Maciamo's article brought more fuel to the discussions. It was great.
I appreciate the effort of all who are here trying to help me :)
Even if you don't have Native American ancestors (but I think you have), your attachment to the native people, who lived in those territories more than ten thousand years before the Europeans came, is worth all the respect.

@Duarte
My pleasure. :)
Btw, you can also use some GedMatch calculators to get more clues on your actual Amerindian percentage.

@Duarte
My pleasure. :)
Btw, you can also use some GedMatch calculators to get more clues on your actual Amerindian percentage.

Thank you, once again Regio. The most common Gedmatch calculators are the Eurogenes. The most up-to-date algorithms for these calculators are at https://yourdnaportal.com.
Using the three main ones, K13, V2 K15 and K36, the Amerindian percentages remain very small, most of the time consistent with the average percentages present in the spreadsheets for Portuguese and some Spanish european populations. This spreadsheets can be checked in Gedmatch:

N9WWZH0.png

KQC28Q2.png

3xfEeVG.png

This thread has been viewed 24983 times.

Back