Pigmentation of Sintashta

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Oh dear...is Eurogenes going to be upset? I'm afraid there were no blonde/blue eyed cowboys of the steppe.:) They were Sardinian like at the best.

The serious takeaway is that those academics who have postulated that this phenotype was not very common in the Bronze Age, and really only rapidly increased in frequency in northern and particularly northeastern Europe in relatively recent times are probably correct. The question is why.

Correlation is not causation, but the trajectory seems to be the same as for lactase persistence, which is why I have in the past suggested that investigating a link between the two might be productive.

Fwiw I wouldn't call Sardinians and Greeks "swarthy" as a whole. I think I might reserve that for the Levant, or just say that the pigmentation is similar to certain Southern Europeans.

Indians really "are" obsessed with pigmentation.

See:
https://www.brownpundits.com/2019/09/12/the-sintashta-were-swarthy/

Gotta love how Fire-Haired pretends he hasn't been reading Eurogenes all these years, never heard his insistence that Sintashta were just East European herders, and how they were "blonde-blue eyed cowboys of the steppes".

Khan is the wrong man to play with on genetics. :) He makes the rules on his site, and he's got a fast trigger finger. :)

I found it interesting that Razib Khan thinks some of the earliest ancient dna samples were contaminated. In this case, he's talking about the first Sintashta samples, which came out in 2009.

Too bad if it's true. It could call into question a lot more important findings.

Khan is the wrong man to play with on genetics. :) He makes the rules on his site, and he's got a fast trigger finger. :)

8MVspRs.gif

It is much easier to determine skin pigmentation from genes (for instance, the average geneticist could probably determine from my DNA that I am a naturally light-skinned individual who tans easily and well) than it is to determine what language they spoke. Nordic crackpots can be easily refuted from DNA evidence while linguistic hucksters can not be as easily refuted, using silver bullets like 'population bottleneck' and 'elite dominance' to try to refute years of study and peer consensus.

not very useful, this post of yours, compared to the others.

Sometimes, a little humor among friends doesn't go amiss.

The argument about contaminated samples could include actually all samples ever tested, why a focus on Sintashta and why does he thinks they are contaminated, did he work on them ? Also aren't ( Globular Amphora ) CWC, Sintashta, Srubnaya, Andronovo all related and all those cultures had blonde haired individuals ?

Without taking account we actually have a real proof of Blonde Hair related individual as the Cherchen Man. He is probably younger than all those cultures, but it would be hard to argue that this guy is not related with those cultures. And if he came from Afanasievo, then Yamnaya had fair haired people too.

Im not very found of this Authority Argument thing, if Academics thinks all those things are irrelevant or minimal, they need to explain why.

Sometimes, a little humor among friends doesn't go amiss.

Maybe I'm myself posting a post of low level interest here, but when I said "compared to the others" I thought in the other Jovialis posts. No big problem here.

Actually the aryans being more like southern europeans in phenotype makes also more sense since tajiki pamiri and pashtuns have a lot of Steppe ancestry (up to 45% max) but still light eyes and hair are an absolute minority in this ethnicities.

Nordicist dreams falling apart :)

I'm sure an attempt will be made to prove that the paper is incorrect in proposing there was no mixture with BMAC on the way to India.

Who knows, maybe with a lot more samples we'll find there was some admixture. That's just not the point.

We've known for a long time that the Yamnaya people were, in fact, darker than most Southern Europeans. Remember that Corded Ware supposed "warrior" they found in Poland whom the Poles were surprised to find was "darker" than contemporary Poles? So, this applied even to a Corded Ware to some degree.

The biggest cluster of pale skin, blue eyes and fair hair was in the northeast, and they weren't Indo-Europeans. Nor could the Indo-Europeans have brought that phenotype to Europe, because they didn't possess it themselves. They just absorbed it after they arrived in northeast and central Europe. Also, as previously said and shown, it also markedly increased relatively recently, like lactase persistence.

These were late changes.

The basic outline of the spread of the Indo-European languages seems to have held up, except perhaps for the Anatolian languages, but the accrued racist nonsense and denial of the archaeology, where people projected their own looks and their identity back in time to aggrandize themselves has fallen by the wayside, thank goodness. Of course, some people have too much invested to ever admit that.

I'm sure an attempt will be made to prove that the paper is incorrect in proposing there was no mixture with BMAC on the way to India.

Who knows, maybe with a lot more samples we'll find there was some admixture. That's just not the point.

We've known for a long time that the Yamnaya people were, in fact, darker than most Southern Europeans. Remember that Corded Ware supposed "warrior" they found in Poland whom the Poles were surprised to find was "darker" than contemporary Poles? So, this applied even to a Corded Ware to some degree.

The biggest cluster of pale skin, blue eyes and fair hair was in the northeast, and they weren't Indo-Europeans. Nor could the Indo-Europeans have brought that phenotype to Europe, because they didn't possess it themselves. They just absorbed it after they arrived in northeast and central Europe. Also, as previously said and shown, it also markedly increased relatively recently, like lactase persistence.

These were late changes.

The basic outline of the spread of the Indo-European languages seems to have held up, except perhaps for the Anatolian languages, but the accrued racist nonsense and denial of the archaeology, where people projected their own looks and their identity back in time to aggrandize themselves has fallen by the wayside, thank goodness. Of course, some people have too much invested to ever admit that.

Who were these people in the Northeast with light pigmentation? EHG? Uralics?

Also I never bought into the idea of mostly blue eyed blonde steppe Iranians. Especially given some were ~20 East Eurasian. Even if they had this efeatures at one point it must have been short lived.

This thread has been viewed 16142 times.

Back