Achilles and Alexander the Great are said to have committed masses of massacres and g

valentinavalley2

Reaction score
Why do Greeks consider them a hero? That’s like Germans praising Hitler for what he did to Jews, or the Turks being proud of an Armenian Genocide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do Greeks consider them a hero? That’s like Germans praising Hitler for what he did to Jews, or the Turks being proud of an Armenian Genocide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is considered a hero because of his legacy. And by that I mean to say that he spread Hellenism throughout the world. A form of standardized Greek language (Koine) became lingua franca and Hellenic culture not only survived through the ages, but penetrated in other areas all around the world. Were it not for Alexander, the intellectual achievements of the Athenians could have been lost in history. There would not have been Greek colonies like that in Alexandria, Egypt were libraries were constructed and where among others the Hellenic culture influenced the New Testament which was written in Greek. There would also never have been a Byzantine Empire as we know it.

For all the post-Alexandrian Greeks in particular, they speak a language which was directly descended from Koine Greek. And this has had a profounding effect on their literary tradition and the evolution of their ethno-genesis as a people throughout history. One can go on...

He is considered a hero because of his legacy. And by that I mean to say that he spread Hellenism throughout the world. A form of standardized Greek language (Koine) became lingua franca and Hellenic culture not only survived through the ages, but penetrated in other areas all around the world. Were it not for Alexander, the intellectual achievements of the Athenians could have been lost in history. There would not have been Greek colonies like that in Alexandria, Egypt were libraries were constructed and where among others the Hellenic culture influenced the New Testament which was written in Greek. There would also never have been a Byzantine Empire as we know it.

For all the post-Alexandrian Greeks in particular, they speak a language which was directly descended from Koine Greek. And this has had a profounding effect on their literary tradition and the evolution of their ethno-genesis as a people throughout history. One can go on...

Alexander is more like Napoleon or Cezar....all great generals of antiquity honored him as a god.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Last edited:
Alexander is more like Napoleon or Cezar....all great generals of antiquity honored him as a god.

Sure, as a general and conqueror he is admired unlike no other. But this is only an aspect for someone with the stature like Alexander. There have been so many, too many, great generals in history. Ultimately, all that matters is what you have left behind. And in that respect his legacy is astounding. At least, when he asks why modern Greeks (and I am sure also many historians) admire Alexander so much, given that he killed many people as well, the answer is simply that; Hellenism.

Sure, as a general and conqueror he is admired unlike no other. But this is only an aspect for someone with the stature like Alexander. There have been so many, too many, great generals in history. Ultimately, all that matters is what you have left behind. And in that respect his legacy is astounding. At least, when he asks why modern Greeks (and I am sure also many historians) admire Alexander so much, given that he killed many people as well, the answer is simply that; Hellenism.

Hellenism....maybe, but for the rest of the world he was admired as great general and a great conqueror. He achieved in a life time more than anyone. Let’s not forget that evaluation standard were different before....achievements through conquest and war were highly celebrated. You can’t evaluate people of antiquity using current standards, people are evaluated in the context of their time. In Albania he is admired as a brave man who challenges powers far greater than his strength and prevailed.

In Albania he is admired as a brave man who challenges powers far greater than his strength and prevailed.

Sure, one can admire him for that too. But that is quite one dimensional. His timeless historical significance for humanity is far greater than someone who prevailed in battle against all odds.

This thread has been viewed 4646 times.

Back