German surprised by her Native American ancestry

The Micmac helped hide my French Acadian ancestors from the English and also intermarried with them; I have two Metis in my family tree and 0.5% Native American DNA; my DNA cousins who stayed in Acadia (unlike my great-great-grandfather) have an average of 3-4% Native American DNA. The founder of my mother's family in America, Valentine Whitman, was an interpreter between Natives and the English, so he would have known at least one indigenous language (which given the distance between them and our Indo-European languages seems to me a pretty good achievement). And also my 11x great-grandmother Susanna Hutchinson Cole was the sole survivor of a Native raid and lived with the tribe as a hostage for three years before being freed; she later married and settled down in my native Rhode Island.

Nice familiar story Joey. Great American roots :)

Hi Duarte!
According to my information, the Guaranies peoples also had the mtDNA A, which is apparently more common in North and Central America than in South America. My mtDna is A2, my autosomal DNA is 18% Native American, and my maternal grandparents (from whom I inherited my non-European components) were from northern Uruguay, which according to recent studies is the area of ​​the country where there is greater Native American heritage. While the iconic ethnicity of Uruguay is the Charrua tribe, it is known that many Guaranies settled in the north, the border area with Brazil. Many of them arrived when the Missions of the Jesuits were razed, and established themselves as simple peasants, not as indigenous people organized into tribes.

The Mitochondrial DNA History of a Former Native American Village in Northern Uruguay

Hello Ítalo. I think that this paper can interest you. Hugs :)

Objectives: In 1828, between 8,000 and 15,000 Indians from the Jesuit Missions were brought to Uruguay. There, they were settled in a village, presently named Bella Union, in the northwest corner of the country. According to historic sources, the Indians abandoned the settlement shortly thereafter, with the village subsequently repopulated by “criollos” and immigrants from abroad. As a first approach to reconstruct the genetic history of the population, data about the living population genetic structure will be used. Based on the analysis of the maternal lineages of the inhabitants of Bella Union, and of those from two nearby villages, we expect to partially answer what happened with the first and subsequent inhabitants.

Methods: We analyzed the maternal lineages of the present inhabitants of Bella Union and neighboring localities through the sequencing of the mitochondrial DNA control region.
Results: A total of 64.3%, 5.7%, and 30% of the mtDNAs were of Native, African, and West Eurasian origin, respec- tively. These figures are quite similar to that of the population of Tacuarembo, which is located in northeastern Uruguay. The four main Native American founding haplogroups were detected, with B2 being the most frequent, while some rare subhaplogroups (B2h, C1b2, D1f1) were also found. When compared with other Native American sequences, near- matches most consistently pointed to an Amazonian Indian origin which, when considered with historical evidence, suggested a probable Guaranı-Missionary-related origin.

Conclusions: The data support the existence of a relationship between the historic and present inhabitants of the extreme northwest Uruguay, with a strong contribution of Native Americans to the mitochondrial DNA diversity observed there. Am. J. Hum. Biol. 00:000–000, 2014. VC 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/153565511.pdf

The Mitochondrial DNA History of a Former Native American Village in Northern Uruguay

Hello Ítalo. I think that this paper can interest you. Hugs :)

Objectives: In 1828, between 8,000 and 15,000 Indians from the Jesuit Missions were brought to Uruguay. There, they were settled in a village, presently named Bella Union, in the northwest corner of the country. According to historic sources, the Indians abandoned the settlement shortly thereafter, with the village subsequently repopulated by “criollos” and immigrants from abroad. As a first approach to reconstruct the genetic history of the population, data about the living population genetic structure will be used. Based on the analysis of the maternal lineages of the inhabitants of Bella Union, and of those from two nearby villages, we expect to partially answer what happened with the first and subsequent inhabitants.

Methods: We analyzed the maternal lineages of the present inhabitants of Bella Union and neighboring localities through the sequencing of the mitochondrial DNA control region.
Results: A total of 64.3%, 5.7%, and 30% of the mtDNAs were of Native, African, and West Eurasian origin, respec- tively. These figures are quite similar to that of the population of Tacuarembo, which is located in northeastern Uruguay. The four main Native American founding haplogroups were detected, with B2 being the most frequent, while some rare subhaplogroups (B2h, C1b2, D1f1) were also found. When compared with other Native American sequences, near- matches most consistently pointed to an Amazonian Indian origin which, when considered with historical evidence, suggested a probable Guaranı-Missionary-related origin.

Conclusions: The data support the existence of a relationship between the historic and present inhabitants of the extreme northwest Uruguay, with a strong contribution of Native Americans to the mitochondrial DNA diversity observed there. Am. J. Hum. Biol. 00:000–000, 2014. VC 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/153565511.pdf

Thank you very much Duarte!
It is a very interesting study, and it is probably related to my maternal origins, since my grandmother was from Tacuaremb? (one of the regions studied) and my grandfather from Salto (neighbor to Artigas, the other region studied). These studies change the look that Uruguayans have about ourselves, since until 30 or 40 years ago, it was taught in schools that the natives had been completely exterminated, and that the Uruguayans were 90% white and 10% black....

This tombstone was found at the bottom of a steam in a rural region of Salto, very close to where my granfather was born. It has inscriptions in three languages: Latin, Spanish and Guarani.View attachment 11458

Sent from my SM-G930F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

This thread has been viewed 18321 times.

Back