What’s it like living in a European Nation?

Lester

Reaction score
I’m American, from the Midwest actually and I’ve always had an enormous fascination with Europe, and it’s rich history. I envy you guys, honestly.

The company that I am working in is Apknite - a not too big company in American, but they're going to have a new office in Ireland, and I'm going to it. So I started to wonder what it is like living near multiple different nations? Most people in America usually speak English, so I never have to worry about the language barrier or anything along those lines or cultural differences.

My main question is, people who moved to Europe for work, how did it work out? What is life like in Europe?

Ps: I’m terrible at trying to type all my thoughts down. So I apologize if this doesn’t make too much sense.

Hi! I am Albanian! Europe even geographicaly small, culturaly is very diffrent! North European countries are more open minded, american like lifestyle! More south and east you move more conservative it gets, more nationalistic. Connections are important in find a job. If you are a white American most of the time you will not be noticed, since they will think you are a local(unless you open your mouth and speak an accented language). From my experience Germany, and Scandinavians are a merit based society. If you move south merit does not matter much, connections does.

I’m American, from the Midwest actually and I’ve always had an enormous fascination with Europe, and it’s rich history. I envy you guys, honestly.

The company that I am working in is Apknite - a not too big company in American, but they're going to have a new office in Ireland, and I'm going to it. So I started to wonder what it is like living near multiple different nations? Most people in America usually speak English, so I never have to worry about the language barrier or anything along those lines or cultural differences.

My main question is, people who moved to Europe for work, how did it work out? What is life like in Europe?

I have lived most of my life in EU countries (Greece, England, Scotland, The Netherlands, Italy, Hungary), but also in the US. As a first impression, people in Europe may appear to be a little grumpier and less polite compared to their counterparts in the US. Humour can be different sometimes, expect more irony and sarcasm. Starting a conversation with a complete stranger is harder in Europe, at least in major cities. Travel distances are shorter and so is "personal space". Generally, people in Europe are more comfortable with keeping a smaller physical distance between themselves and a stranger. The multiple different languages might seem like a big thing to outsiders, but we are not bothered much, in fact we hardly ever think about it. Most people in Europe speak 2-3 languages fluently, but even when you visit a place where you don't speak the language, it is generally easy to find your way around. There are endless interesting historical sites to visit, but we do not have the amazing unspoiled wilderness that you can still find in parts of the US.
Ultimately, after a while you realize that deep-down people are basically the same wherever you go.

Coming from the midwest, driving will be different, drivers are less polite, very impatient and parking is at a premium. Big cities in Europe are noisier particularly since there are a lot more motorcycles with very noisy mufflers. Maybe you should move to NYC first as training. On the other hand public transportation is much better.

This thread has been viewed 5649 times.

Back