Anti-depressants of little help for major depressive disorder

When someone has experienced real trauma, or is subject to a probably genetically related long lasting severe depression, there's little that friends and family can do.

However, when you're just feeling a wee bit sorry for yourself, sometimes a metaphorical kick in the behind and some humor doesn't go amiss. I was sorting old letters and mementos tonight, and came across a note I received from my best friend Ruth at a time when I was having a medical issue that really had me down in the dumps. The many cards and letters I got from friends and family were sweet, complementary and very heartfelt. I really appreciated them, but sometimes the very kindness of the words would make me weepy.

Then there was the card from my Ruth...

"As you're recovering,
Just relax...
Put your feet up...
Have people bring you things...
You know..."

Turn Page...

"Pretend you're a man!"

In her own writing she added...

"You know we all love you and are totally here for you.
When this is well behind you and you feel like a new
person, everything will become a distant memory.

And besides...

You have to feel better
You have to feel well
Now get out of bed
Your hair looks like HELL!"

Love always and forever, Ruth.

She had the same attitude when she got breast cancer right around the time she gave birth to her second daughter. It was that damn BRC that Ashkenazi women carry in such high percentages. I never once heard her say, Why me? All she did say was: I have to live for my girls. She didn't, but she fought it till her dying breath, and always with grace and courage and humor.

When I feel blue about things, even terrible things, I remember: Now get out of bed, your hair looks like HELL! :)

That's why I like this song: Get a grip, get out of bed, fix your hair and make-up, go out, and put on a brave face. It does help a little bit. :) Wallowing in it doesn't.

I have to agree that maybe is true that -sometimes- friends and family are not enough. At many cases could work as well as "virus" factor, it just happens. It is amazing how different we are as persons and the chaotic variety of issues and
problems we have to confront, deal, or compromise with, before we knock St. Peter's door. We all get through difficulties and the difference between
melancholy and major depressive incidents maybe is about "size" and "density" of the phaenomena, the "drastic essence" must be the same.
Is the case of poison and medicine alike and some seem to be addicted in a personally way simillar of that of use drugs. Life is addictive anyway.

Some "depressive"; or melancholic persons; are very interesting. There is "experience" scarred up on people faces, wrinkles like canyons of rivers, of sweat
and agony... dreams that crumbled in a blowwind. << Before the drama turn to tragedy, before the windows of the soul shut down... We will find that the
hero was always inside us>>. How different we respond to life's challenges, how different is peoples "homes" (the shelter).

I am conviced that there is not just a methodology or medical perscription to get over it. Sometimes I consider that all that "personal crises" are foundamental
reasons for our evolution, there are nescessary some "night flight hours". We need that shock. We have to get through hard changes in our mind set.
I know that feeling of a dark veil covered me from the top to the bottom. I almost get drawned that dark nights struggling, turning and dive in my bed sheeds
covering me like sea waves. Mariner without boat but with plenty dark experience.

Action, and athletics and gym works well with me, as handycraft hobbies also. Everything challenging and everything give progress and small wins, up on several "everyday" issues mostly, I suppose. Art is very liberative for me, music, poetry, and visual arts , but mostly I believe that only philosophy can heal our wounds...
I grow up and I became "platonist", allthough occasionally I endreesed to "sophists" worries.
It is not that I dont give credit to persons (individuals), It is not that I dont have faith to words.
It is the "Ideas" that mostly rely all my hopes. and my truths, and carriers of these are no others from the persons and the words and not "peoples talk" in general which is an other thing and not the same, I approach them seperately.

Thank you for your courage to share yours sensitive story with "Ruth".
Have you noticed... They are all here. Sometimes I have that feeling of walking into an archaeological site like. All the dead people live inside us and speaking from us. It is an ability to travel in time and out of.
(I dont here any voices and dont need for a shrinck till now, but who knows and who cares for the future, anyway it gonna be at public expence because it is unethical to ask money from a looney.) :rolleyes:

I am at an intermediate position between Rodin's statue"Thinker" and the figure of "Zorbas" at his christ-pose dance.
Between Sidarta Gautama "Budha" in his Nirvana state at lotus position and to the other hand the "Kouros of Anabyssos", with his body tight and steady in full tense, attempts the first step, barefoot and naked, faces death with his sardonian smile.

This thread has been viewed 16640 times.

Back