Ancestry Update

InfamousAngel99

Hayley Germaine Painter
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Mixed European (North, South, East, and West)
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b (Dad)
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b2c
Hey everyone! So, I noticed some Ancestry users got the latest update this morning (my mother and myself included). Post your previous results and your current results here!

Original Results
  • England, Wales & Northwestern Europe = 60%
  • Ireland & Scotland = 17%
  • Germanic Europe = 16%
  • Norway = 5%
  • Sweden = 2%
Updated Results
  • England, Wales & Northwestern Europe = 54%
  • Ireland & Scotland = 16%
  • Sweden = 10%
  • Germanic Europe = 5%
  • Norway = 5%
  • Eastern Europe & Russia = 4%
  • France = 4%
  • Baltics = 1%
  • Portugal = 1%

No official updates for me, yet.
... still stuck in August 2018.

Interesting update. I keep getting less "German" with each update even though a good chunk of my ancestry is from northern Germany including surname.

Here's my original estimate via Ancestry.com:

vANc7rv.jpg

Here's after the update:

XubJfI7.png

Could be that this update was more Scandinavian oriented? No idea

Nothing has changed for me. Still the silly 45% French.

vVEHzy7.png

Could be that this update was more Scandinavian oriented? No idea

Well, still no Danish category or Gotland community.

My great-grandmother was Danish but haven't seen anything specifically "Danish" but in Lukasz's estimate, the Danish component is definitely accounted for.

f1CDcyC.png

3mCeZSv.png

kN5aNwi.png

Neither my wife's nor my results have been updated.

Mine just got updated. Previous estimate:

Greece & the Balkans 62%
Eastern Europe & Russia 29%
Turkey and the Caucasus 6%
Italy 3%

The new estimate:
Greece & the Balkans 70%
Eastern Europe & Russia 25%
Turkey and the Caucasus 1%
Italy 2%
Baltics 1%
Malta 1%

The new estimate is almost the exact opposite of the living DNA estimate which has Eastern Europe 70% and Aegean ancestry at 27%.

My wife's:
View attachment 11592
View attachment 11593

I can't wait to see my kids DNA results: England/Wales, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Eastern Europe and a smattering of other ethnicities in smaller percentages. Talking about a melting pot!

If she's half Italian it seems it was more accurate before, yes?

She is half Italian but that does not mean that she would get exactly half her genes from her mother and half from her father.

I also would have liked more clarity on the 25% of mine that is from Eastern Europe & Russia which according to Ancestry is [FONT=&quot]rimarily located in: Austria, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine. That's a lot of territory to cover :). Does that mean that that part is so admixed that they really can't tell? Or they don't have a good reference groups for those populations?[/FONT]

She is half Italian but that does not mean that she would get exactly half her genes from her mother and half from her father.

I also would have liked more clarity on the 25% of mine that is from Eastern Europe & Russia which according to Ancestry is rimarily located in: Austria, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine. That's a lot of territory to cover :). Does that mean that that part is so admixed that they really can't tell? Or they don't have a good reference groups for those populations?

Yes, but it's odd, imo, to get only in the 30% range if you're half Italian.

I think it means it's just the part of your ancestry which you share with the Medieval Era people who came south into the Balkans, and that makes you share with all the other people who have that ancestry. That's just my two cents worth of speculation, though.

You should ask them. I'd be interested in the answer too.

Yes, but it's odd, imo, to get only in the 30% range if you're half Italian.

I think it means it's just the part of your ancestry which you share with the Medieval Era people who came south into the Balkans, and that makes you share with all the other people who have that ancestry. That's just my two cents worth of speculation, though.

You should ask them. I'd be interested in the answer too.

I need to test my father before he passes. I suspect, without proof, that the Eastern European part came from my mother's side. My MtDNA of U5a1b is just another indication. I think only 1.5% of Greeks have U5 ancestry and U5a has its higher frequency in northeastern Europe.

I need to test my father before he passes. I suspect, without proof, that the Eastern European part came from my mother's side. My MtDNA of U5a1b is just another indication. I think only 1.5% of Greeks have U5 ancestry and U5a has its higher frequency in northeastern Europe.

It's definitely a clue, imo; a good point.

Uniparental and autosomal genetics can definitely steer you wrong, though. My father carried U-152, and I'm almost sure the more "French" like ancestry ancestry.com finds is more from him than my mother. Yet, my mother carried U2e, very old in Europe, but most of the more "recent" samples are Corded Ware and their descendants related, and I don't doubt her ancestry is more "southern" despite the fact her ancestors were in part Celt-Ligurians. She looked far more "southern" than my father as well, although "appearance" doesn't always correlate with the majority autosomal ancestry, much less uniparental.

To go back to your previous point, I get 25% Northwestern European in some tests. I think that's related to the 45% French which ancestry.com gave me. Again, I just think that's the ancestry I share with them, some arriving with Italics or Bell Beakers before them, but some arriving with Gallic tribes in the first millennium BC, and maybe a Scythian and German or two. :)

It's definitely a clue, imo; a good point.

Uniparental and autosomal genetics can definitely steer you wrong, though. My father carried U-152, and I'm almost sure the more "French" like ancestry ancestry.com finds is more from him than my mother. Yet, my mother carried U2e, very old in Europe, but most of the more "recent" samples are Corded Ware and their descendants related, and I don't doubt her ancestry is more "southern" despite the fact her ancestors were in part Celt-Ligurians. She looked far more "southern" than my father as well, although "appearance" doesn't always correlate with the majority autosomal ancestry, much less uniparental.

To go back to your previous point, I get 25% Northwestern European in some tests. I think that's related to the 45% French which ancestry.com gave me. Again, I just think that's the ancestry I share with them, some arriving with Italics or Bell Beakers before them, but some arriving with Gallic tribes in the first millennium BC, and maybe a Scythian and German or two. :)

Eastern Thrace was on the road to Constantinople for the barbarians that wanted to plunder it so I am sure there is some genetic influence from all these raiders. Also because it is a very prized agricultural area, members of the imperial guard were rewarded by land in the general vicinity. Most of the imperial guard were from East and Northern Europe.

I also don't want to discount the possibility of Medieval Southern Slavic or Bulgarian influence.

This thread has been viewed 13361 times.

Back