Testosterone and Gender Differences in Athlethics

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://academic.oup.com/edrv/article/39/5/803/5052770

If anyone needs a scientific explanation for why men who have gone through puberty should not compete in women's sports, this is it, imo.

"[h=2]Abstract[/h]Elite athletic competitions have separate male and female events due to men’s physical advantages in strength, speed, and endurance so that a protected female category with objective entry criteria is required. Prior to puberty, there is no sex difference in circulating testosterone concentrations or athletic performance, but from puberty onward a clear sex difference in athletic performance emerges as circulating testosterone concentrations rise in men because testes produce 30 times more testosterone than before puberty with circulating testosterone exceeding 15-fold that of women at any age. There is a wide sex difference in circulating testosterone concentrations and a reproducible dose-response relationship between circulating testosterone and muscle mass and strength as well as circulating hemoglobin in both men and women. These dichotomies largely account for the sex differences in muscle mass and strength and circulating hemoglobin levels that result in at least an 8% to 12% ergogenic advantage in men. Suppression of elevated circulating testosterone of hyperandrogenic athletes results in negative effects on performance, which are reversed when suppression ceases. Based on the nonoverlapping, bimodal distribution of circulating testosterone concentration (measured by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry)—and making an allowance for women with mild hyperandrogenism, notably women with polycystic ovary syndrome (who are overrepresented in elite athletics)—the appropriate eligibility criterion for female athletic events should be a circulating testosterone of <5.0 nmol/L. This would include all women other than those with untreated hyperandrogenic disorders of sexual development and noncompliant male-to-female transgender as well as testosterone-treated female-to-male transgender or androgen dopers."

also note that there should be an outlet for these risen testosterone concentrations
sports is the better option, I guess

also note that there should be an outlet for these risen testosterone concentrations
sports is the better option, I guess

I very much agree.

On another thread I mentioned that I'm very much in favor of all girls schools through the secondary level, but that I don't think it's particularly good for boys. I went to an all girls' secondary school and we had an affiliated boys' school taught by the Christian Brothers. The atmosphere in the two schools just couldn't have been more different. By that point, corporal punishment of any kind was unheard of at my school, but a boy I was dating was actually punched, as in on the jaw, and knocked to the floor by one of the Brothers for disrespect in the classroom. Believe it or not, it seemed as if he thought it was justified. I just think at all boys' schools there's just too much testosterone around, too much intense competition often turning violent. Lots of sports activities are particularly important in those schools, even if it is tough on the boys who aren't particularly coordinated. The presence of girls in the school sort of calms things down, imo. Not that girls are angels. Their type of competition is in some ways more cruel, but without the boys around they're actually nicer to one another.

I very much agree.

On another thread I mentioned that I'm very much in favor of all girls schools through the secondary level, but that I don't think it's particularly good for boys. I went to an all girls' secondary school and we had an affiliated boys' school taught by the Christian Brothers. The atmosphere in the two schools just couldn't have been more different. By that point, corporal punishment of any kind was unheard of at my school, but a boy I was dating was actually punched, as in on the jaw, and knocked to the floor by one of the Brothers for disrespect in the classroom. Believe it or not, it seemed as if he thought it was justified. I just think at all boys' schools there's just too much testosterone around, too much intense competition often turning violent. Lots of sports activities are particularly important in those schools, even if it is tough on the boys who aren't particularly coordinated. The presence of girls in the school sort of calms things down, imo. Not that girls are angels. Their type of competition is in some ways more cruel, but without the boys around they're actually nicer to one another.
IMO boys will always find ways to have fights one way or another. From my personal experience at least half of the fights happened because of girls, meaning a group of boys protecting a girl who was being harassed by another group or individual. Those were also the most violent fights since the honour of the girl was involved, especially if she had a brother or cousins in it.

That competitiveness is actually healthy I believe and a school without girls would be a punishment itself.

IMO boys will always find ways to have fights one way or another. From my personal experience at least half of the fights happened because of girls, meaning a group of boys protecting a girl who was being harassed by another group or individual. Those were also the most violent fights since the honour of the girl was involved, especially if she had a brother or cousins in it.

That competitiveness is actually healthy I believe and a school without girls would be a punishment itself.

Both boys and girls, imo, view same sex education as a punishment. :)

I still think it's good for girls, although my daughter vehemently disagreed, and went to co-ed public school. I decided to pick my battles. :)

Damn!
141.jpg

Run away! :LOL:

Last edited:
Anyway.. Whether you are a man or a woman, or what level of testosterone you have, there is a "sport" that fits both sexes. Sex!
And this seems to be more and more rare nowadays. it seems that humanity is lost.:ashamed2:

Anyway.. Whether you are a man or a woman, or what level of testosterone you have, there is a "sport" that fits both sexes. Sex!
And this seems to be more and more rare nowadays. it seems that humanity is lost.:ashamed2:

the best way to regulate your levels of testosterone and any other hormones
but only in harmony with your partner

Damn!
141.jpg

Run away! :LOL:
I've noticed that female athletes tend to have hormone problems and are more prone to menstrual infections. Perhaps they should tone it down a tad and choose less strenuous activities. This G I Jane bit is out of hand and overplayed.

Plus, I love a hard game of footie, so don't appreciate birds claiming they'll sue me for being body-checked and falling down in the grass. Sorry lasses, I don't give up the ball or fall down for anyone. If that's your problem, maybe you shouldn't be on the field. Just saying the bloody obvious!

Is testosterone even good for women? Look at most sport women, they dont have any breast, i have read something about lack of oestrogenes and possible on the long term of loss of menstruations and infertility at worst.

Well, it may seem obvious to you and me, but it's not obvious to the WOKE intelligentsia who are determined to let men who underwent gender changing surgery as young adults compete in women's sports.

What was TITLE IX, which empowered so many young women to compete in sports on an equal footing with young men while in high school and college all about then? There would never have been a softball team for my daughter or a swim team or a tennis team, or a lacrosse or hockey team for some of the other girls. It's a travesty.

Biological differences are a fact and they have to be accepted. You can't compete as a woman when you've had all those years of testosterone aided muscle and bone growth. It's ridiculous.

This thread has been viewed 10396 times.

Back