Politics Left Wing Authoritarianism in Eastern Europe

I feel like a lot of these movements are reactionary against the changing, globalization world, expansion of the EU, migration, and cultural tensions resulting from modernization. Also politicians taking advantage of sometimes not greatly educated populations. It's sad.

I feel like a lot of these movements are reactionary against the changing, globalization world, expansion of the EU, migration, and cultural tensions resulting from modernization. Also politicians taking advantage of sometimes not greatly educated populations. It's sad.

It is not a matter of feeling like it is. There are political groups that are explicitly opposed to some of those things, though I do not believe they are morally inferior. But also, politicians on the left have been catering to poorly educated people as well. So I don't understand how it is only right-wing groups that do this. Historically, left-wing groups represented the underclasses, that were poorly-educated. There are many poorly-educated people from large urban communities that are controlled by Democrats.

In any case, some changes are destined to be, it is difficult to resist them somehow, especially when you think that your position is correct! In any case, the variability of time makes itself felt

I would even add that the difference between vaccination rates between Eastern and Western Europeans can be attributed to the fact that Eastern Europeans have learned not to trust their goverments. While westerners have always trusted theirs.

Italians don't trust any government and never have; that's why they're almost ungovernable. I'm speaking here of Italian Italians, of course, not Italian Americans or other Italians of the diaspora. Attitudes like this are a product of history, although perhaps there's a bit of heredity involved too.

Societies run more smoothly when people are naïve with regard to human nature and human institutions, especially their own.

Italians don't trust any government and never have; that's why they're almost ungovernable. I'm speaking here of Italian Italians, of course, not Italian Americans or other Italians of the diaspora. Attitudes like this are a product of history, although perhaps there's a bit of heredity involved too.

Societies run more smoothly when people are naïve with regard to human nature and human institutions, especially their own.

I would assume the division in the US can be attributed to simmilar factors.
The American right and tradition somewhat lean towards some sort of libertarianism whose whole dichtomy revolves around individual vs the state.
It's only logical to assume these individuals are wary of decision enforced and supported by the state, whilst the other side is more prone to accepting them.

My understanding is that in a left wing government the government decides what work you are qualified for and at what pay in a right wing regime you are at the whim of whatever a corporation is willing to pay you for whatever skills you are worth. In a left wing government you are provided with housing adequate to your work and in a right wing government you are responsible for attaining whatever accommodation you can afford. Same goes for education and medical access, on the left you are given a certain levels a right wing government would leave that up to whatever you can afford. I forgot to add that on social issues the right wing seems to be more controlling in terms of family religion and values, while a true left wing would allow for more libertine thoughts.

I think Authoritarian regimes are the result of concentrations of wealth within a few and arise as a means to appease the angry masses but in many cases these Authoritarian regimes still maintain an Oligarchic class and give the illusion of helping the masses by giving them crumbs or at the least stirring up a sense of nationalism and picking scapegoats to take their aggression out on... I think you need a healthy Middle class to avoid Authoritarianism, and ideally I would believe you need a mixture of right and left policies. An environment that gives an individual the freedom to choose his own path in life own his own property but a government should be there to prevent gross inequities and not allow any one person or corporation to own the majority of one thing. Unfortunately you need uncorrupt philosophers to serve as politicians and it is also important that you separate church from state to help avoid Nationalism.

We may very well be entering into another Dark Age soon, per haps you may want to hitch a ride on a ship to Mars if you are an intellectual...get your reservations in...or as Arnold would say...Get Your Ass to Mars! :LOL:

Last edited:
I would assume the division in the US can be attributed to simmilar factors.
The American right and tradition somewhat lean towards some sort of libertarianism whose whole dichtomy revolves around individual vs the state.
It's only logical to assume these individuals are wary of decision enforced and supported by the state, whilst the other side is more prone to accepting them.

Very true. A distrust of strong, central governments is part of the underpinning of the foundation of this country. That's the reason for the three branches of government, the veto laws, a two chambered house, only one based on population, and on and on.

Then you can add to that the fact that the "frontier" bred independence and local community control.

Sometimes I think perhaps there is some genetic component as well. The people who "up sticks" and leave their homeland for the unknown are individualists willing to take risks and rely on themselves not on a government they might have found oppressive in various ways.

This article says that Poland has passed a law prohibiting IVF implantation unless a couple signs documents taking financial responsibility for a child. Single women are no longer eligible, and may lose access to any frozen embryos.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/when-the-government-seizes-your-embryos

I would say it is good for the society and for the children, because children growing up without a father very often become pathological adults. Being raised by a single mother can be very toxic for the child. Probably even gay and lesbian couples are better parents than a selfish single mother.

I don't think that the right to parenthood is a bodily right and therefore it makes sense that mainly couples should have the right to parenthood, with some exceptions. Just like also in case of adopting a child, couples are prioritized over singles.

As for these exceptions - perhaps a single woman could become eligible for IVF implantation after passing psychological and other tests which would prove that she can properly raise a kid despite being single. But not sooner.

And women here think the government controls their bodies.

As I mentioned above, I don't think the right to parenthood is a bodily right.

Prioritizing couples over singles when it comes to IVF implantation surely makes sense.

This thread has been viewed 27086 times.

Back