Reaction score
Ethnic group
Illyrised Gallo-Roman
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b U152
mtDNA haplogroup
H5
Hello there folks.
I'm a new member here who got fascinated by ancestry, haplogroups, ancient civilizations, Indo Europeans etc etc. I registered on the boards two years ago but became inactive because I forgot about such things altogether.
First off, I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong section or if I'm asking for something that's hard to give a definite answer to.
I will upload some pictures at the end of this thread. I am Albanian but can someone confirm what do I look more racially close to? Mediterranean, Middle Eastern or Eastern European?
Can anyone whos acquainted with such stuff do a "face reading" of my face and tell me what I look like more.
Oh, by the way, does Y haplogroups influence looks and skull shape? Could I be of the R1b or of the J2a/b haplogroup.
Unfortunately I don't know my exact haplogroup as DNA testing isn't available here.
On a last note. Does this dyed red hair look good on me?
Here's the image guys.
http://imgur.com/a/YqNgJk6IMG

Hello there folks.
I'm a new member here who got fascinated by ancestry, haplogroups, ancient civilizations, Indo Europeans etc etc. I registered on the boards two years ago but became inactive because I forgot about such things altogether.
First off, I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong section or if I'm asking for something that's hard to give a definite answer to.
I will upload some pictures at the end of this thread. I am Albanian but can someone confirm what do I look more racially close to? Mediterranean, Middle Eastern or Eastern European?
Can anyone whos acquainted with such stuff do a "face reading" of my face and tell me what I look like more.
Oh, by the way, does Y haplogroups influence looks and skull shape? Could I be of the R1b or of the J2a/b haplogroup.
Unfortunately I don't know my exact haplogroup as DNA testing isn't available here.
On a last note. Does this dyed red hair look good on me?
Here's the image guys.
http://imgur.com/a/YqNgJk6IMG

Where in Albania do you currently reside? assuming you're in a isolated remote region and/or can't afford DNA testing.

As far as looks, haplogroup has no influence over this in the long term. You can have a lineage that arrived in the middle ages from the north/east and still be genetically Albanian. Autosomal recombination can replace the original hosts DNA over time due to assimilation. Some people think it influences things like height and looks, but this largely has a number of factors genetic and otherwise determining these things.

The link doesn't work so we can't really see how you look like.

Where in Albania do you currently reside? assuming you're in a isolated remote region and/or can't afford DNA testing.

As far as looks, haplogroup has no influence over this in the long term. You can have a lineage that arrived in the middle ages from the north/east and still be genetically Albanian. Autosomal recombination can replace the original hosts DNA over time due to assimilation. Some people think it influences things like height and looks, but this largely has a number of factors genetic and otherwise determining these things.
Yeah right. Y and mtDNA are only a small fraction of the puzzle. Autosomal DNA plays the biggest impact here right?
I'm in the north of albania by the way. I can afford a test but am not entirely sure whether they can ship the kits and prerequisite tools needed to conduct the test and sample collection.
I do live in an area where both ev 13 J2b and R1b are common in high concentrations
It's this area that stretched eastward up to western Kosovo that according to eupedia maps has the highest R1b among the peoples.
https://ibb.co/HPkqyHR
So.i could either be R1b J2b or ev13
For all I know I could be i1 i2 or whatnot else.
Yeah false assumptions won't lead me to anywhere. Look
I ordered something online. It should be arriving by the end of this month. If it arrives safe and sound that means that they ship things to Albania.

Haplogroup is the most important thing, it shows what tribe you belong to. If you have for example a country/region of 80% the same haplogroup then they WILL look similar, no doubt about it

Yeah right. Y haplogroups determine your forefathers ancestry and trace back your roots.

Haplogroup is the most important thing, it shows what tribe you belong to. If you have for example a country/region of 80% the same haplogroup then they WILL look similar, no doubt about it

Not really. That is something far more dynamic than haplogroups IMO. If you are referring to specific family groups being determined through Y-DNA then sure, this has been shown in many surname DNA projects, but entire tribes? I'm not so sure.

Not really. That is something far more dynamic than haplogroups IMO. If you are referring to specific family groups being determined through Y-DNA then sure, this has been shown in many surname DNA projects, but entire tribes? I'm not so sure.
True enough.

Hey, based on what I uploaded above. Do I look like a typical southern European or middle Eastern?

True enough.
Hey, based on what I uploaded above. Do I look like a typical southern European or middle Eastern?

Hard to say with the hair, I'd say you look italian, bulgarian etc. I'm not sure what a typical southern european is anymore, there are quite a few blondes who easily fit into all northern european countries and also some who look middle eastern so it's a difficult question to answer. A lot of countries today are very mixed

When you look around your area what would you say most men look like? Northern albania is an area that seems to have less mixing than most, in particular North West

You look more like you're from Gjirokastra or Vlora than North Albania, so that means you could be from Mirdita.

You look more like you're from Gjirokastra or Vlora than North Albania, so that means you could be from Mirdita.
Haha yes I'm from the Mirdita region, from the city Rreshen.
What do you know anything in particular about them.
Why do they look like southern Albanians like in giirokastra and vlora regions.
Do you know what are the most common haplogroups here in Mirdita?

Hard to say with the hair, I'd say you look italian, bulgarian etc. I'm not sure what a typical southern european is anymore, there are quite a few blondes who easily fit into all northern european countries and also some who look middle eastern so it's a difficult question to answer. A lot of countries today are very mixed

When you look around your area what would you say most men look like? Northern albania is an area that seems to have less mixing than most, in particular North West

Right I shouldn't have painted my hair red.
Did some editing to bring back the natural colour.
What do I look like more now
https://ibb.co/KySKjTZ

Haha yes I'm from the Mirdita region, from the city Rreshen.
What do you know anything in particular about them.
Why do they look like southern Albanians like in giirokastra and vlora regions.
Do you know what are the most common haplogroups here in Mirdita?

I mean why shouldn't they look like southern Albanians? What do you think is the typical southern albanian look compared to north? I've come across a lot of blonde southerns too I mean my grandad was from berat and he was blonde and I have blonde male and female cousins, aunts, uncles etc. Maybe you mean there are more jevg in the south but I don't know enough to answer this. Jevg are not albanians anyway, they are found all over the balkans

Also Kastrioti had black hair and black beard (before it changed to grey/white) according to paintings

Last edited:
I mean why shouldn't they look like southern Albanians? What do you think is the typical southern albanian look compared to north? I've come across a lot of blonde southerns too I mean my grandad was from berat and he was blonde and I have blonde male and female cousins, aunts, uncles etc. Maybe you mean there are more jevg in the south but I don't know enough to answer this. Jevg are not albanians anyway

Also Kastrioti had black hair and black beard (before it changed to grey/white) according to paintings
I don't really think I look like a jevg. If anything i'm more Asian perhaps?
Do I look like an Asian t you?.
Or narrow eyes with skin folds aren't an Asian only trait

I don't really think I look like a jevg. If anything i'm more Asian perhaps?
Do I look like an Asian t you?.
Or narrow eyes with skin folds aren't an Asian only trait

You don't look like a jevg nor an Asian, maybe the eyes are similar but I see that you wear glasses, it could be a health thing instead of genetic. Do your parents have "Asian" eyes?

I would say you look italian or bulgarian but again there isn't a specific look anymore for most countries

You don't look like a jevg nor an Asian, maybe the eyes are similar but I see that you wear glasses, it could be a health thing instead of genetic. Do your parents have "Asian" eyes?

I would say you look italian or bulgarian but again there isn't a specific look anymore for most countries

Actually..when you think about it.i could have some chromosome abnormality for all we know. No. Neither on any parents sides. My dad looks kinda Slavic by the way. So does my grandma. My grandpa kind of looked like a typical Italian. He reminds me of some Italian actor that can't quite remember his name.

I mean why shouldn't they look like southern Albanians? What do you think is the typical southern albanian look compared to north? I've come across a lot of blonde southerns too I mean my grandad was from berat and he was blonde and I have blonde male and female cousins, aunts, uncles etc. Maybe you mean there are more jevg in the south but I don't know enough to answer this. Jevg are not albanians anyway, they are found all over the balkans

Mate, you're wrong in so many levels. It appears that you're not from Albania but from diaspora. You simply assumed that North=Blonde and South=Brunet. COMPLETELY WRONG! If anything, there's more blondes in South than North. And being blonde doesn't make you Albanian, on the contrary it could mean you have Gothic/Norman/Slavic admix. Not always, depending on the features weather you're roundish (Slavic) or kinda Germanic, but not Noric (blonde Dinaric) which is local.

ShinyDust looks like from Mirdita because that's how they look usually, nothing to do with blondes.

The stories are that Mirditors were elite soldiers during Ottoman times (fact) and that they brought non-Albanian brides when they came back from wars (claim). On the other hand, what's a fact is that they did marry Muslim Dibrans with the condition to convert them to Catholicism.

@Shiny, if you're surname is Kola I might know one of your cousins that looks a lot like you XD

This thread has been viewed 17061 times.

Back