A question regarding race/ethnicity and haplogroups

Actually..when you think about it.i could have some chromosome abnormality for all we know. No. Neither on any parents sides. My dad looks kinda Slavic by the way. So does my grandma. My grandpa kind of looked like a typical Italian. He reminds me of some Italian actor that can't quite remember his name.
No chromosome abnormality, you're going too far. But you just like many Mirditors strangely have a possibly Asia Minor admix.

Maybe it's ancient and came with the Romans from the Middle East and settled in the Balkans like the Syrians did, or even the Mardaites (which strangely sounds similar to how Mirditors call their place in their dialect), but yDNA doesn't seem to indicate that. Perhaps a bottleneck caused the locally predominant E-V13 and J2b and maybe the looks come from the females (mtdna).

But yes, Mirditors do have many "exotic" phenotypes besides the typical Gheg look, either Dinarics or Norics.

Also my case is weird too, from Myheritage and Living Dna i obtained some expected autosomal results > 85 % 'Greek and south Italian' which obviously inclouds and the Albanian too, and less than 15% 'Balkanic' i.e South Slavic, which is quite normal taking in account the fact that i am a Tosk Albanian, but what really 'shocked' me it's that subclade I-S17250 of the Y chromosome ( which it's definitly proven that came in the Balkans with the Slavic Invasion during the VI-VIII a.d centuries !!). So i found myself with a typical paleo-Balkan autosomal heritage (anthropologically \ phenotypically a Mediterranean) and meanwhile i carry a typical Slavic north-eastern European Paternal lineage (Y chromosome), so let's say that i am 'struggling' a little bit with this fact, being a kind of genetic mish-mash, and puting me in a ambigous position concerning me Identity !!
View attachment 11566

Also my case is weird too, from Myheritage and Living Dna i obtained some expected autosomal results > 85 % 'Greek and south Italian' which obviously inclouds and the Albanian too, and less than 15% 'Balkanic' i.e South Slavic, which is quite normal taking in account the fact that i am a Tosk Albanian, but what really 'shocked' me it's that subclade I-S17250 of the Y chromosome ( which it's definitly proven that came in the Balkans with the Slavic Invasion during the VI-VIII a.d centuries !!). So i found myself with a typical paleo-Balkan autosomal heritage (anthropologically \ phenotypically a Mediterranean) and meanwhile i carry a typical Slavic north-eastern European Paternal lineage (Y chromosome), so let's say that i am 'struggling' a little bit with this fact, being a kind of genetic mish-mash, and puting me in a ambigous position concerning me Identity !!
View attachment 11566
Your ydna represents usually only 2% of your heritage, so at the end you are what you are, a Tosk Albanian. I see no reason why you're struggling.

Which city in Albania are you from? If you're I-S17250 and you're 100% sure you're phenotypically Mediterranean (not simply having dark hair and brown eyes) then chances are you're either from around Korca or Fieri, or a Cham.

View attachment 11566

Your male ancestor has White Croatian source but most of your ancestors are from the Albanian side and that's why autosomal result is such.

Last edited:
Here's a more recent pic of me.. probably the best of the pictures I took.
https://ibb.co/JCpgQYV
Does my face look too wide? Typical southern European?

Mate, you're wrong in so many levels. It appears that you're not from Albania but from diaspora. You simply assumed that North=Blonde and South=Brunet. COMPLETELY WRONG! If anything, there's more blondes in South than North. And being blonde doesn't make you Albanian, on the contrary it could mean you have Gothic/Norman/Slavic admix. Not always, depending on the features weather you're roundish (Slavic) or kinda Germanic, but not Noric (blonde Dinaric) which is local.
ShinyDust looks like from Mirdita because that's how they look usually, nothing to do with blondes.
The stories are that Mirditors were elite soldiers during Ottoman times (fact) and that they brought non-Albanian brides when they came back from wars (claim). On the other hand, what's a fact is that they did marry Muslim Dibrans with the condition to convert them to Catholicism.
@Shiny, if you're surname is Kola I might know one of your cousins that looks a lot like you XD

What are you on about?

There are far more blonde albanians than south slavs, do your research. The typical serbian look is probably Djokovic or Ibrahim Presevic who actually plays for Kosovo. You find very little r1b in serbians but around 20% in albanians. Yes, I agree that maybe some blonde/ginger genes came to albanians from celts, germans etc but it didn't come from South slavs, you must be mixing them with west slavs like polish, different tribes

Albanians became MORE black haired after South Slavic invasion due to the small mix

Last edited:
Mate, you're wrong in so many levels. It appears that you're not from Albania but from diaspora. You simply assumed that North=Blonde and South=Brunet. COMPLETELY WRONG! If anything, there's more blondes in South than North. And being blonde doesn't make you Albanian, on the contrary it could mean you have Gothic/Norman/Slavic admix. Not always, depending on the features weather you're roundish (Slavic) or kinda Germanic, but not Noric (blonde Dinaric) which is local.

ShinyDust looks like from Mirdita because that's how they look usually, nothing to do with blondes.

The stories are that Mirditors were elite soldiers during Ottoman times (fact) and that they brought non-Albanian brides when they came back from wars (claim). On the other hand, what's a fact is that they did marry Muslim Dibrans with the condition to convert them to Catholicism.

@Shiny, if you're surname is Kola I might know one of your cousins that looks a lot like you XD

@Nik
Hello there, pardon for my late and delayed reply. Been busy with stuff lately.
I'm not entirely sure about whether they took foreign brides or not but yes they did marry the dibrans in a village called Lure/Lura.
No my last name isn't Kola. It's Gjoka actually.
But it's a fairly common last name here so not two Gjokas might be related haha.
Is there anything else you would want to know from me?

The typical serbian look is probably Djokovic or Ibrahim Presevic who actually plays for Kosovo.
I believe you mean Ibrahim Dresevic.... Anyways, he's not even Serbian but Albanian. His family are Albanians from Tuzi in Montenegro and are from the Hoti tribe (village of Rrapshe originally), their surname is actually Dreshaj but was changed to Dresevic.

@Nik
Hello there, pardon for my late and delayed reply. Been busy with stuff lately.
I'm not entirely sure about whether they took foreign brides or not but yes they did marry the dibrans in a village called Lure/Lura.
No my last name isn't Kola. It's Gjoka actually.
But it's a fairly common last name here so not two Gjokas might be related haha.
Is there anything else you would want to know from me?
From what Bajrak in Mirdite is your family from?

This thread has been viewed 17059 times.

Back