Johane Derite

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
mtDNA haplogroup
U1a1a
It is out:

Ancient Rome: A genetic crossroads of Europe and the Mediterranean

[h=2]Abstract[/h]Ancient Rome was the capital of an empire of ~70 million inhabitants, but little is known about the genetics of ancient Romans. Here we present 127 genomes from 29 archaeological sites in and around Rome, spanning the past 12,000 years. We observe two major prehistoric ancestry transitions: one with the introduction of farming and another prior to the Iron Age. By the founding of Rome, the genetic composition of the region approximated that of modern Mediterranean populations. During the Imperial period, Rome?s population received net immigration from the Near East, followed by an increase in genetic contributions from Europe. These ancestry shifts mirrored the geopolitical affiliations of Rome and were accompanied by marked interindividual diversity, reflecting gene flow from across the Mediterranean, Europe, and North Africa.

LINK: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/366/6466/708

It seems so. I got the paper with sci hub, but the supplementary data do not seem to be extractable with sci hub.

"An analysis of some of the earliest samples more or less comports with what has been found around Europe—they represent an influx of farmers primarily descended from early agriculturalists from Turkey and Iran around 8,000 years ago, followed by a shift toward ancestry from the Ukrainian steppe somewhere between 5,000 and 3,000 years ago. By the founding of Rome, traditionally dated to 753 BCE, the city's population had grown in diversity and resembled modern European and Mediterranean peoples"
Looks like Anatolian copper age-like admixture reached the area of Rome, prior to Steppe.

No e-z830 i look at the table
But there is e-v12 in lazio from 0-200 ad so cool
Imperial period...
Convlusion
I shouldnt listen to rumors ...

I look at table 1-4 in the paper

Mesolitic:
I

: neolithic
G-L91
J-m304
J-L26
R-m343

Copper age :
G-F1193
H-L901
I-cts616
I-m223
G-pf3359

Iron age:
R-m269
T-L208
R-P311
R-PF7588
J-m12
R-p312
R-p312

Imperial:
R-PF7589
E-V12
J-m92
J-Z631
G-FGC5089
J-p58
There are more
J,R,G .....

Late antiquity:
:400-600ad
One e-v13 dude was found

4XSywLa.jpg

I now looked in the table there is 1 E-L257/L19
Dude From late mediveal 1280-1430 ad ....
To bad he is johny come lately....
anyway he is in the e-z827 branch as oposed to the e-v12 and e-v13 that were found in remains
Who belong to the e-v68 branch.
The E in this paper:
samples:
1) R113, Via Paisiello, 0-200CE (Imperial Rome) - E-V12
2) R107, Crypta Balbi, 400-600CE (Late Antiquity) - E-V13
3) R59, Villa Magna, 820-990CE (Early Medieval) - E-V12
4) R53, Villa Magna, 1280-1430CE (Late Medieval) - E-V257
5) R1219, Cancelleria, 1417-1463CE (Renaissance) - E-V13

Last edited:
Looks like Anatolian copper age-like admixture reached the area of Rome, prior to Steppe.

Logically, one would assume this admixture was stronger in the South during this time as well. Further increased by the Greek settlers. The creation of Roman Italy probably brought a great deal of this ancestry into the area of Rome.

OfNKOe3.jpg

Logically, one would assume this admixture was stronger in the South during this time as well. Further increased by the Greek settlers. The creation of the Roman province of Italia probably brought a great deal of this ancestry into the area of Rome.

OfNKOe3.jpg

Where do you think we're located on the map that Pax posted?

I think I know (S.E of S.Italy line), but I'm not sure.

Where do you think we're located on the map that Pax posted?

I think I understand it, but I'm not sure.

I think the green dots are the Italian samples from the Lombard paper. If so, it would be relative to that. Thus near the Northern side of the Imperial Roman cluster, with a proclivity towards the Greek centroid. That's my guess.

I think I know (S.E of S.Italy line), but I'm not sure.
Apulians are north/northeast of the south Italian line.

DxCpI2Q.png

Maybe this might make it a bit easier to decipher.

Thanks Jovialis, I see the Circle.

I’m glad that I get to keep my Avatar :giggle:

Trojet has checked the BAM file for the J2b etruscan:

"I just checked the BAM file for: R474, Civitavecchia, Etruscan, 700-600BCE (Iron Age/Roman Republic) - J-M12+

He is: J2b-L283>>Z597>Y15058>CTS6190

My friend Principe called it. We do have a J-CTS6190 in ancient Italy"

This individual was related to the Croatian coast J2b. This is from the supplement:
" In addition, a Bronze Age individual from Croatia (1631-1521 calBCE) belonged to the J2b2a haplogroup (14) and carried exactly the M314 derived allele that is also found in R474."

Okay, so rumours about Early Romans being South Italian-like are not confirmed.

This PCA shows Republican Era Romans in Latium were probably like modern Piedmontese (North-West Italians):

Only during the Imperial Era mass migration from East Mediterranean changed it:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/366/6466/708

summary_mini.gif

VLo6DMu.png

BTW, soon another paper with ancient DNA from other regions of Italy (outside of Latium) should be published.

This paper had only DNA from the city of Rome and surrounding areas within the present-day region of Latium.

What you call early Romans are actually Iron Age Latins.

No, these samples range from 900 BCE to 27 BCE and genetic profile did not change much in that period. Rome was founded in 753 BCE. Median age of these samples is given as "320 BCE Roman Republic" (map):

VLo6DMu.png

This thread has been viewed 357147 times.

Back