New member, Mtdna H63...from Italy

bldec

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-BY146010
mtDNA haplogroup
H63
Greetings all. I am brandy new to this forum and new to genetic testing in general. I recently completed both an autosomal DNA test on FTDNA and a full Mtdna, also on FTDNA.

While I have traced my father's family back to the late 17th century in Italy, I cannot do much with my matrilineal line (also from Italy) because my great-grandmother was a foundling (and she also married the son of a foundling). I was quite surprised to find out that haplogroup H63 has its origins mostly in Sweden and Germany. With a little bit of reading, I discovered that this genetic makeup might relate to the Ostrogoth occupation in the northern part of Abruzzo in the 6th century or so.

I don't hold out much hope for finding out my mother's ancestors because I think the chances are very slim that we will find an ancestor from the 19th century (or even 18th or 17th). However, I am curious to know if other folks whose family originates in Italy also have H63 in their makeup. I tried to join some World Tree Italy project but apparently those pages and the project are defunct.

I have posted my entire GEDCOM on Geni as well as Gedmatch. If anyone can point me to an Italy project with a subtopic about H63, I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

Greetings all. I am brandy new to this forum and new to genetic testing in general. I recently completed both an autosomal DNA test on FTDNA and a full Mtdna, also on FTDNA.

While I have traced my father's family back to the late 17th century in Italy, I cannot do much with my matrilineal line (also from Italy) because my great-grandmother was a foundling (and she also married the son of a foundling). I was quite surprised to find out that haplogroup H63 has its origins mostly in Sweden and Germany. With a little bit of reading, I discovered that this genetic makeup might relate to the Ostrogoth occupation in the northern part of Abruzzo in the 6th century or so.

I don't hold out much hope for finding out my mother's ancestors because I think the chances are very slim that we will find an ancestor from the 19th century (or even 18th or 17th). However, I am curious to know if other folks whose family originates in Italy also have H63 in their makeup. I tried to join some World Tree Italy project but apparently those pages and the project are defunct.

I have posted my entire GEDCOM on Geni as well as Gedmatch. If anyone can point me to an Italy project with a subtopic about H63, I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

Population genomics of the viking world 2019 paper is the oldest i have seen for mtdna H63
See sample VK222

Are you kit number N69848

I am so sorry I did not see these replies to my post from December! To answer your questions: My mother’s family are from Controguerra/Corropoli in the northern part of Abruzzo, very close to Ascoli. And yes, I am kit N69848!

Population genomics of the viking world 2019 paper is the oldest i have seen for mtdna H63
See sample VK222
How do I find this paper?

See sample VK222

OK, I found the paper and found the sample in the 3rd supplement. Interesting. It's the only one with H63 and it's from Russia. Thanks.

This thread has been viewed 6429 times.

Back