Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: New member, Mtdna H63...from Italy

Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 4.0%

MtDNA haplogroup
    H63

New member, Mtdna H63...from Italy

Greetings all. I am brandy new to this forum and new to genetic testing in general. I recently completed both an autosomal DNA test on FTDNA and a full Mtdna, also on FTDNA.

While I have traced my father's family back to the late 17th century in Italy, I cannot do much with my matrilineal line (also from Italy) because my great-grandmother was a foundling (and she also married the son of a foundling). I was quite surprised to find out that haplogroup H63 has its origins mostly in Sweden and Germany. With a little bit of reading, I discovered that this genetic makeup might relate to the Ostrogoth occupation in the northern part of Abruzzo in the 6th century or so.

I don't hold out much hope for finding out my mother's ancestors because I think the chances are very slim that we will find an ancestor from the 19th century (or even 18th or 17th). However, I am curious to know if other folks whose family originates in Italy also have H63 in their makeup. I tried to join some World Tree Italy project but apparently those pages and the project are defunct.

I have posted my entire GEDCOM on Geni as well as Gedmatch. If anyone can point me to an Italy project with a subtopic about H63, I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2

Ethnic group
    Tuscan

Where in Italy?

3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2-Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1

Ethnic group
    North Italian

Quote Originally Posted by bldec View Post
    Greetings all. I am brandy new to this forum and new to genetic testing in general. I recently completed both an autosomal DNA test on FTDNA and a full Mtdna, also on FTDNA.

While I have traced my father's family back to the late 17th century in Italy, I cannot do much with my matrilineal line (also from Italy) because my great-grandmother was a foundling (and she also married the son of a foundling). I was quite surprised to find out that haplogroup H63 has its origins mostly in Sweden and Germany. With a little bit of reading, I discovered that this genetic makeup might relate to the Ostrogoth occupation in the northern part of Abruzzo in the 6th century or so.

I don't hold out much hope for finding out my mother's ancestors because I think the chances are very slim that we will find an ancestor from the 19th century (or even 18th or 17th). However, I am curious to know if other folks whose family originates in Italy also have H63 in their makeup. I tried to join some World Tree Italy project but apparently those pages and the project are defunct.

I have posted my entire GEDCOM on Geni as well as Gedmatch. If anyone can point me to an Italy project with a subtopic about H63, I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.
    Population genomics of the viking world 2019 paper is the oldest i have seen for mtdna H63
    See sample VK222
    Fathers mtdna T2b17
    Grandfather mtdna T1a1e
    Sons mtdna K1a4o
    Mum paternal line R1b-S8172
    Grandmum paternal side I1d1-P109
    Wife paternal line R1a-Z282

3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 99.2%