Sex & Gender Sexual desire in men versus women

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I don't believe this. How is this evolutionarily sound?

I've heard and seen studies that posit a gap, but this big, and not just after menopause?

8FaSkM4.png

china-uighur-monitor-home-shared-bed-report-2019-11

I don't believe this. How is this evolutionarily sound?

I've heard and seen studies that posit a gap, but this big, and not just after menopause?

8FaSkM4.png

china-uighur-monitor-home-shared-bed-report-2019-11
if its a scientific study, might be true! But I have a feeling that for every country should be different. job occupation, nutrition are also important factors.

I heard from a researcher in sexology that anything self reported is unreliable. Everyone will inflate their number not to look like a looser, because they already saw older studies with self inflated numbers and feel like a looser from the get go.

I heard from a researcher in sexology that anything self reported is unreliable. Everyone will inflate their number not to look like a looser, because they already saw older studies with self inflated numbers and feel like a looser from the get go.

So, you think women's scores are even lower???

Good Grief!!!

No, he/she probably meant that men exaggerate! ;)
if it is a scientific statistic they have methods to take that into account! I have taken an introductory course in statistic, and the lecturer said that they have different questions to uncover the lies. we were talking about polling in elections. Sexuality should not be different. But statistic polling has sometime failed,.

These are American women, so I'm not so sure they would lie and make it lower. It's not a plus for either women or men to admit they don't feel much sexual desire.

That said, the men's scores seem about right to me. They are about what I would expect. I was helping a friend find a 55+ community for her mother and I was shocked at what I heard about the rates of venereal disease in those places. The problem for men doesn't seem to have been desire but performance. Now a little pill takes care of that.

It's different for menopausal women, and I know that for a good percentage there's a drop off. There are also physical issues, but hormones can be taken to get rid of those. I know a lot of women who take hormone replacement therapy.

With often no spouse to be upset and no chance of pregnancy I guess primal urges take over and some of them are determined to fully enjoy their last years.

Of course, everyone is going to view these kinds of studies through the prism of their own life experiences and what they've seen, so maybe it's sort of true. I don't know. They should do these kinds of studies anonymously, where the researchers can't attach a response to a face or name. Then maybe it would be more honest.

What not to do is use the responses of, say, prisoners, for a lot of your data, as they did for the Kinzey Report. What a ton of misinformation came out of that!

If there really is, in most cases, a 40 point difference on average for men and women I feel really sorry for most men.

That said, the men's scores seem about right to me.

Actually in my opinion male scores are inflated (they exaggerate when self-reporting) and female scores are correct.

Probably the real scores for men are lower and about the same as female scores (so the gap is much lower or none).

I sincerely doubt there's no gap. Yes, men may exaggerate to make it higher, but this passes the "gut check" test. I've had decades to listen to women talk about their husbands and their seemingly unending interest, and how often they find an excuse or just fake it.

It's a prime area in terms of marriage counseling as well, at least from what my therapist friends say.

The time for being honest is in the beginning, because there are men with less interest and there are women who would be thrilled; averages are just averages, after all. The optimum situation is for there to be a match.

I'm not sure this research is right ))

This research is contradicted by the findings reported in the 1967 movie "Bedazzled". Peter Cook says to Dudley Moore "I always think it very ironical that the male of the species reaches his sexual peak at the age of 14 whereas the appetite of the female continues to increase with the passing years".

Probably based (with slight exaggeration) on the best selling book "Human Sexual Response" by Masters and Johnson, published the year before the movie.

I sincerely doubt there's no gap. Yes, men may exaggerate to make it higher, but this passes the "gut check" test. I've had decades to listen to women talk about their husbands and their seemingly unending interest, and how often they find an excuse or just fake it.

It's a prime area in terms of marriage counseling as well, at least from what my therapist friends say.

The time for being honest is in the beginning, because there are men with less interest and there are women who would be thrilled; averages are just averages, after all. The optimum situation is for there to be a match.
Whatever stigma exists in someone's head can easily create false reportings.
"I don't want to feel like a ________"
There are many options to fill in the blanks.

Whatever stigma exists in someone's head can easily create false reportings.
"I don't want to feel like a ________"
There are many options to fill in the blanks.

Well, that's true. I can understand how a woman might under-report. You tell your women friends virtually everything, however, more than you would tell your husband about these matters probably. :)

In my neighborhood when the children were little, and given that most of the husbands worked in the city and didn't get home until about 8, the moms, who either didn't work or worked better hours, would meet at one mother's home at about 5PM. The children would either be down for a late nap or rampaging around the house or with the au pair. Then the alcohol would come out. I barely drink, so it was more a case of listening. The same thing would happen summers at the pool club. Their husbands would have been appalled by some of the things which were revealed. I could barely look some of them in the face after hearing things I shouldn't have heard. I may be wrong, but I don't think men tell their friends these kinds of things even if drunk about either themselves or their wives.

Think not as rich, not quite as narcissistic, and more honest "Big, Little Lies". I swear to you, some of those characters had to be based on women I knew. :)

Ever since the big scandal about how the results of a large percentage of psychological papers can't be reproduced, my already low degree of faith in their reliability is even lower.

The Kinzey report I never believed. For crying out loud, most of the data came from prisoners.

As for the Masters and Johnson report, the initial participants were all prostitutes paid to perform sexual acts while hooked up to machines. Later, they were married couples. I'm sorry, but could married couples willing to do this, perhaps switching partners, as Masters and Johnson did, "for the science", be a good sample? Although, given that most of the research was into physical changes in the body perhaps it didn't matter.

I trust my informal survey more. In vino veritas. :) I admit, of course, this also might not have been a representative sample.

I trust my informal survey more. In vino veritas. :) I admit, of course, this also might not have been a representative sample.

Same here. It would have been great if after the survey, they were allowed to mingle for a couple of hours and... unlimited amounts of free alcohol were given to whoever wanted whatever... and then have them take the survey again.

Father of eight - the eldest, Kris, born in 1970 of five women, Mick Jagger seems to have always had a very high libido, no matter his age. But the fact is, when you're Alain Delon, not even Mick Jagger stands a chance.

4D7tPOt.jpg

Father of eight - the eldest, Kris, born in 1970 of five women, Mick Jagger seems to have always had a very high libido, no matter his age. But the fact is, when you're Alain Delon, not even Mick Jagger stands a chance.

4D7tPOt.jpg

Mick was dating her for a couple of years, but yes, that body language screams volumes. :embarassed:

CMaesZKUAAAKT4F (1).jpg

4D7tPOt.jpg

Very true. Take away Mick Jaggers fame and money and...

Alain Delon, on the other hand, was an absolutely gorgeous man; I particularly love broad planes of the face like his, and really beautiful eyes, as well. His only flaw for my taste is the rather small, although perfectly shaped nose. I know there will be a universal rolling of the eyes, but I do think his Corsican ancestry is very apparent.

1f7envmp8d361.jpg

Your moral compass would have to be rock solid to resist that face, married or not.

DCWwko1XgAARFFj.jpg

This thread has been viewed 21113 times.

Back