Man who had transplant finds out months later his DNA has changed to that of donor

Archetype0ne

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
L283>Y21878>Y197198
[h=1]Man who had transplant finds out months later his DNA has changed to that of donor 5,000 miles away[/h]
[FONT=&quot]Three months after his bone marrow transplant, Chris Long of Reno, Nevada, learned that the [/FONT]DNA[FONT=&quot] in his blood had changed. It had all been replaced by the DNA of his donor, a German man he had exchanged just a handful of messages with.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]But four years after his lifesaving procedure, it was not only Long’s blood that was affected. Swabs of his lips and cheeks contained his DNA – but also that of his donor. Even more surprising to Long and other colleagues at the crime lab, all of the DNA in his semen belonged to his donor. “I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear,” he said.

[/FONT](https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...is-long-forensic-science-police-a9238636.html)

That's unbelievable! Does that mean that the bone marrow transplanted contained stem cells that turned into germ cells? Just a few of them would already appear far-fetched, but a complete replacement is even more stunning.

Now this particular individual cannot have children since he had a vasectomy but his sperm DNA changed to that of the donor. The experts think that if he were to have children they would have his own DNA but I am not so sure. Fortunately they left themselves an out saying that they need to investigate it further.

Man who had transplant finds out months later his DNA has changed to that of donor 5,000 miles away

Three months after his bone marrow transplant, Chris Long of Reno, Nevada, learned that the DNA in his blood had changed. It had all been replaced by the DNA of his donor, a German man he had exchanged just a handful of messages with.

But four years after his lifesaving procedure, it was not only Long’s blood that was affected. Swabs of his lips and cheeks contained his DNA – but also that of his donor. Even more surprising to Long and other colleagues at the crime lab, all of the DNA in his semen belonged to his donor. “I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear,” he said.

(https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...is-long-forensic-science-police-a9238636.html)

Well. Really amazing. It was a news of NYT last Saturday, also:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/us/dna-bone-marrow-transplant-crime-lab.html

An emblematic case that deserves to be very well studied. Congratulations, Archetype0ne, on sharing with us this amazing news. Beyond imagination.

makes sense to me! THE bone marrow produces cells. Would have been strange if he still had his own dna! Would be interesting to study how it has affected his brain, sexuality, Iq, memory etc.

Well. Really amazing. It was a news of NYT last Saturday, also:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/us/dna-bone-marrow-transplant-crime-lab.html

An emblematic case that deserves to be very well studied. Congratulations, Archetype0ne,on sharing with us this amazing news. Beyond imagination.
Thank you Duarte, also for quoting the NYT article.

makes sense to me! THE bone marrow produces cells. Would have been strange if he still had his own dna! Would be interesting to study how it has affected his brain, sexuality, Iq, memory etc.
@Tutkun regarding personality, exerpt from the Independent article "“Their brain and their personality should remain the same,” said Dr Andrew Rezvani, medical director of the inpatient blood and marrow transplant unit at Stanford University Medical Centre."

Now this particular individual cannot have children since he had a vasectomy but his sperm DNA changed to that of the donor. The experts think that if he were to have children they would have his own DNA but I am not so sure. Fortunately they left themselves an out saying that they need to investigate it further.

@bigsnake49 You are spot on. Again from the Independent article "
“Their brain and their personality should remain the same,” said Dr Andrew Rezvani, medical director of the inpatient blood and marrow transplant unit at Stanford University Medical Centre."
"
But what about everyone else? Three bone marrow transplant experts who were surveyed agreed that it was an intriguing question. They also agreed that passing on someone else’s genes as a result of a transplant like Long’s was impossible.There shouldn’t be any way for someone to father someone else’s child,” said Rezvani, the Stanford medical director."

Now "there shouldn't be a way" is a bit vague. But now that we are aware of such cases of chimersim I am sure in the future we will have an answer from someone who didn't undergo vasectomy.

I doubt that it would affect the gametes.

ive read that people who get transplants can also get some of their donors memories although i think these are tall tales it does make you wonder.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I doubt the memories thing.... but did it say where the DNA came from? Like if they sample somewhere else, does it matter?

This thread has been viewed 9051 times.

Back