Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Man who had transplant finds out months later his DNA has changed to that of donor

Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283-Cluster A

1 members found this post helpful.

Man who had transplant finds out months later his DNA has changed to that of donor

Man who had transplant finds out months later his DNA has changed to that of donor 5,000 miles away

Three months after his bone marrow transplant, Chris Long of Reno, Nevada, learned that the DNA in his blood had changed. It had all been replaced by the DNA of his donor, a German man he had exchanged just a handful of messages with.

But four years after his lifesaving procedure, it was not only Long’s blood that was affected. Swabs of his lips and cheeks contained his DNA – but also that of his donor. Even more surprising to Long and other colleagues at the crime lab, all of the DNA in his semen belonged to his donor. “I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear,” he said.

(https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9238636.html)
    “Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible in himself, and at the same time that indestructible something as well as his trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him.”

Franz Kafka

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

That's unbelievable! Does that mean that the bone marrow transplanted contained stem cells that turned into germ cells? Just a few of them would already appear far-fetched, but a complete replacement is even more stunning.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

Ethnic group
    English/German

With something this stunning I think the best course of action is to await confirmation.

1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Overall activity: 74.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

Now this particular individual cannot have children since he had a vasectomy but his sperm DNA changed to that of the donor. The experts think that if he were to have children they would have his own DNA but I am not so sure. Fortunately they left themselves an out saying that they need to investigate it further.

Three Friends25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    Man who had transplant finds out months later his DNA has changed to that of donor 5,000 miles away

Three months after his bone marrow transplant, Chris Long of Reno, Nevada, learned that the DNA in his blood had changed. It had all been replaced by the DNA of his donor, a German man he had exchanged just a handful of messages with.

But four years after his lifesaving procedure, it was not only Long’s blood that was affected. Swabs of his lips and cheeks contained his DNA – but also that of his donor. Even more surprising to Long and other colleagues at the crime lab, all of the DNA in his semen belonged to his donor. “I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear,” he said.

(https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9238636.html)

Well. Really amazing. It was a news of NYT last Saturday, also:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/u...crime-lab.html

An emblematic case that deserves to be very well studied. Congratulations, Archetype0ne,on sharing with us this amazing news. Beyond imagination.

1 year registered

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a2a(m223)(L801)

makes sense to me! THE bone marrow produces cells. Would have been strange if he still had his own dna! Would be interesting to study how it has affected his brain, sexuality, Iq, memory etc.

Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 212

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283-Cluster A

Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    Well. Really amazing. It was a news of NYT last Saturday, also:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/u...crime-lab.html

An emblematic case that deserves to be very well studied. Congratulations, Archetype0ne,on sharing with us this amazing news. Beyond imagination.
    Thank you Duarte, also for quoting the NYT article.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutkun Arnaut View Post
    makes sense to me! THE bone marrow produces cells. Would have been strange if he still had his own dna! Would be interesting to study how it has affected his brain, sexuality, Iq, memory etc.

@Tutkun regarding personality, exerpt from the Independent article "“Their brain and their personality should remain the same,” said Dr Andrew Rezvani, medical director of the inpatient blood and marrow transplant unit at Stanford University Medical Centre."

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    Now this particular individual cannot have children since he had a vasectomy but his sperm DNA changed to that of the donor. The experts think that if he were to have children they would have his own DNA but I am not so sure. Fortunately they left themselves an out saying that they need to investigate it further.

@bigsnake49 You are spot on. Again from the Independent article "
    “Their brain and their personality should remain the same,” said Dr Andrew Rezvani, medical director of the inpatient blood and marrow transplant unit at Stanford University Medical Centre."
    "
    But what about everyone else? Three bone marrow transplant experts who were surveyed agreed that it was an intriguing question. They also agreed that passing on someone else’s genes as a result of a transplant like Long’s was impossible.There shouldn’t be any way for someone to father someone else’s child,” said Rezvani, the Stanford medical director."

Now "there shouldn't be a way" is a bit vague. But now that we are aware of such cases of chimersim I am sure in the future we will have an answer from someone who didn't undergo vasectomy.

Veteran5000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    I doubt that it would affect the gametes.

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

ive read that people who get transplants can also get some of their donors memories although i think these are tall tales it does make you wonder.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21

I doubt the memories thing.... but did it say where the DNA came from? Like if they sample somewhere else, does it matter?