Root vegetables were eaten 170,000 years ago

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
So much for a "paleo" diet which was all meat and fish.

"Paleo" people were eating starchy tubers like potatoes very early in human history. Now those genetic studies showing the snps for starch digestion in hunter-gatherers make sense.

Another accepted "truth" down the drain.

See:
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...egetables-found-in-170000-year-old-cave-dirt/

"[FONT=&quot]Charred fragments found in 170,000-year-old ashes in a cave in southern Africa are the earliest roasted root vegetables yet found. The finding suggest the real [/FONT]“paleo diet”[FONT=&quot] included lots of roasted vegetables rich in [/FONT]carbohydrates[FONT=&quot], similar to modern potatoes.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“I think people were eating a very balanced diet, a combination of carbohydrates and proteins,” says team leader Lyn Wadley of the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa."

"Seeds of root vegetables and other plants have found at an 800,000-year-old site in Israel where early humans lived, but Wadley’s find is the earliest clear evidence of roasting."

Yum...roasted potatoes, carrots, onions, celery in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. One of my favorite things ever. Put a roasting chicken on top and it's a whole meal with about 25 minutes of prep time even with all the peeling, so less without it. It does have to roast for close to an hour or so, but you can change your clothes, have a glass of wine, even a bubble bath soak while it's cooking.

picNvjMv0.jpg
[/FONT]

I had always assumed that for hunter-gatherers, the men hunted animals and the women gathered fruit, nuts and roots, including tubers, like potatoes.

humans are omnivore
they eat whatever they can find
and much depends on the environment
those tundra hunters didn't find many vegetables
the first farmers originated in areas with plenty of seeds
many animal species became extinct at first contact with humans, and after that the local human tribe went extinct too

humans are omnivore
they eat whatever they can find
and much depends on the environment
those tundra hunters didn't find many vegetables
the first farmers originated in areas with plenty of seeds
many animal species became extinct at first contact with humans, and after that the local human tribe went extinct too

I think, however, this was why paleolithic humans were so mobile. When few fruits or tubers could be found, or when prey animals became depleted, humans picked up their few belongings and found new land to exploit. With time, and intelligence, humans worked out a cycle, hunting and gathering in one area for a period, then moving to another to allow the original territory to recover. The natives of my home town did much the same, moving from mountain and seashore and back again as the seasons dictated.

The Neolithic allowed humans to settle because now they could manage the availability of foodstuffs.

This thread has been viewed 3210 times.

Back