Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.

First ever drawing of Venice

He drew as badly as I do. :) All Italians are not good artists.

To be fair, it's instantly recognizable.

https://www.archaeology.org/news/833...dieval-drawing

"[COLOR=#000000 !important](University of St. Andrews)
    [/COLOR]
    ST. ANDREWS, SCOTLAND—According to a statement released by the University of St. Andrews, the oldest-known drawing of the city of Venice has been found by historian Sandra Toffolo in a manuscript written by traveler Niccolò da Poggibonsi sometime after A.D. 1350. An Italian pilgrim, da Poggibonsi traveled to Jerusalem between 1346 and 1350, and is thought to have written about his travels, including his passage through Venice, upon his return home. His original drawing is marked by a series of small pin*****s, which suggest powder had been sifted onto the image, through the pin*****s, and onto another surface to create copies for circulation. Toffolo said she has indeed found other depictions of Venice in manuscripts and early printed books based upon da Poggibonsi’s work, which is now housed in the Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale in Florence

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    He drew as badly as I do. :) All Italians are not good artists.

To be fair, it's instantly recognizable.

https://www.archaeology.org/news/833...dieval-drawing

"[COLOR=#000000 !important](University of St. Andrews)
    [/COLOR]
    ST. ANDREWS, SCOTLAND—According to a statement released by the University of St. Andrews, the oldest-known drawing of the city of Venice has been found by historian Sandra Toffolo in a manuscript written by traveler Niccolò da Poggibonsi sometime after A.D. 1350. An Italian pilgrim, da Poggibonsi traveled to Jerusalem between 1346 and 1350, and is thought to have written about his travels, including his passage through Venice, upon his return home. His original drawing is marked by a series of small pin*****s, which suggest powder had been sifted onto the image, through the pin*****s, and onto another surface to create copies for circulation. Toffolo said she has indeed found other depictions of Venice in manuscripts and early printed books based upon da Poggibonsi’s work, which is now housed in the Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale in Florence
    I don't see the gondeleers with their white-blue striped T-shirts.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    I don't see the gondeleers with their white-blue striped T-shirts.
    I think I can pretty much guarantee they're weren't wearing blue and white or red and white t-shirts and belting out Neapolitan songs like they do today. Tourists are usually really stupid, no matter the country, so to keep them happy they're fed stereotypes, even stereotypes from a totally different part of the country.

If we didn't need their money I swear I would make people take a test before giving them a visa. Particularly in Venice, they should be strictly regulating the number of tourists who can go in, and priority should be given to those who know something about it and will appreciate it.