First ever drawing of Venice

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
He drew as badly as I do. :) All Italians are not good artists.

To be fair, it's instantly recognizable.

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8338-200107-venice-medieval-drawing

"
Venice-Drawing.jpg
[COLOR=#000000 !important](University of St. Andrews)

[/COLOR]
ST. ANDREWS, SCOTLAND—According to a statement released by the University of St. Andrews, the oldest-known drawing of the city of Venice has been found by historian Sandra Toffolo in a manuscript written by traveler Niccolò da Poggibonsi sometime after A.D. 1350. An Italian pilgrim, da Poggibonsi traveled to Jerusalem between 1346 and 1350, and is thought to have written about his travels, including his passage through Venice, upon his return home. His original drawing is marked by a series of small pin*****s, which suggest powder had been sifted onto the image, through the pin*****s, and onto another surface to create copies for circulation. Toffolo said she has indeed found other depictions of Venice in manuscripts and early printed books based upon da Poggibonsi’s work, which is now housed in the Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale in Florence

He drew as badly as I do. :) All Italians are not good artists.

To be fair, it's instantly recognizable.

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8338-200107-venice-medieval-drawing

"
Venice-Drawing.jpg
[COLOR=#000000 !important](University of St. Andrews)

[/COLOR]
ST. ANDREWS, SCOTLAND—According to a statement released by the University of St. Andrews, the oldest-known drawing of the city of Venice has been found by historian Sandra Toffolo in a manuscript written by traveler Niccolò da Poggibonsi sometime after A.D. 1350. An Italian pilgrim, da Poggibonsi traveled to Jerusalem between 1346 and 1350, and is thought to have written about his travels, including his passage through Venice, upon his return home. His original drawing is marked by a series of small pin*****s, which suggest powder had been sifted onto the image, through the pin*****s, and onto another surface to create copies for circulation. Toffolo said she has indeed found other depictions of Venice in manuscripts and early printed books based upon da Poggibonsi’s work, which is now housed in the Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale in Florence

I don't see the gondeleers with their white-blue striped T-shirts.

I don't see the gondeleers with their white-blue striped T-shirts.

I think I can pretty much guarantee they're weren't wearing blue and white or red and white t-shirts and belting out Neapolitan songs like they do today.:grin: Tourists are usually really stupid, no matter the country, so to keep them happy they're fed stereotypes, even stereotypes from a totally different part of the country.

If we didn't need their money I swear I would make people take a test before giving them a visa. Particularly in Venice, they should be strictly regulating the number of tourists who can go in, and priority should be given to those who know something about it and will appreciate it.

This thread has been viewed 3426 times.

Back