Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are electric cars really a better idea?

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Ethnic group
    Catalan

I recommend to follow https://twitter.com/BjornLomborg/with_replies for rationality on climate change.

1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

Ethnic group
    English/German

Quote Originally Posted by Farstar View Post
    I recommend to follow https://twitter.com/BjornLomborg/with_replies for rationality on climate change.
    I don't know what's true or not about this issue. I expect I must believe the "experts," but their warnings are undercut by the hypocrisy of their supporters in Hollywood and at Windsor. It doesn't help the cause to have the Prince of Wales tell us to live a simpler life in order to save the planet, then to have him get into his limousine and ride back to his palace. And it looks bad (an understatement) when climate summits are attended by hundreds who arrive there in private jets; hasn't anyone heard of Video Tele-Conference?

I think the appropriate quote is, "I'll believe it's a crisis when people who tell me it's a crisis act like it's a crisis."

1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Overall activity: 74.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

Now, let's separate the hyperbole of headlines from the facts. It is a fact that in California the dry season starts a little earlier and ends a bit later. It is also a fact that there are more hot days per year. That helps with having a lot of ready made fire fuel. But you won't have a fire without ignition. That ignite in the middle of the summer in California does not come from thunderstorms unless you're talking the northeast par and the high elevations of Sierra Nevada. It come mainly from badly maintained power lines and power lines touching trees. The bread is aided by fierce winds but you need ignition first. So does human-related global warming play a role? Sure but human related activities such as badly maintained power lines play a bigger role.
    As far as electric cars are concerned, I appreciate the fact that electric cars are both quiet and non-polluting. I still want electric cars replacing fossil fuel cars but first get rid of diesel trucks. They are a hell more polluting than cars. Move long distance loads by rail which is about ten times more efficient and have local electric trucks distribute the load locally. 90% of the worlds trade gets moved by ship. A reduction 5 knots in speed leads to a reduction of up to 50% in fuel consumption. According to scientists 18% of global warming is attributable to black soot. Imagine eliminating all the black soot produced by all the means of transportation. Not only you are eliminating a major source of global warming but you also don't have to breathe it. Or imagine eliminating all that noise pollution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12